Difference in performance between Iraq Army and army of Yugoslavia

Discussions on other historical eras.
Nodeo-Franvier

Difference in performance between Iraq Army and army of Yugoslavia

Post by Nodeo-Franvier » 20 Apr 2021, 12:52

I have often read that the difference between the Gulf War and the war in Kosovo is that the Yugoslavia army is competent and the the Iraq army were not,How much better is the Yugoslavia armed force compared to it Iraq counterpart under Sadam?

wwilson

Re: Difference in performance between Iraq Army and army of Yugoslavia

Post by wwilson » 22 Apr 2021, 07:13

Mmm, a lot of generalizations in such a comparison.

First, by the time of the conflict in Kosovo, it was no longer the Yugoslavian Army, it was the Serbian Army.

One thing both the Serbians and Iraqis had in common was a limited logistical capability to conduct military operations beyond their own borders.

Thus, they were both forces of regional importance that were confronted by a military superpower.

If I had to guess, just based on social dynamics, I would say the Serbian Army was a more professional force than that of Saddam's Iraq. But one should bear in mind the Iraq-Iran War, a grinding conflict in which the Iraqi Army was in the field for several years.

The terrain and weather of the Kosovo conflict and the Gulf War was completely different. The Serbians competently used their terrain to provide cover for their forces from NATO airpower, and were able to shoot down a U.S. stealth aircraft because the flight paths had become too predictable. Both were actions of an overmatched opponent who was motivated to resist and strike when the opportunity was available. The Iraqis, in open terrain, when occupied in 2003, resorted to urban guerilla warfare. Neither approach was "wrong", the different approaches reflected vastly different situations.

Cheers

Nodeo-Franvier

Re: Difference in performance between Iraq Army and army of Yugoslavia

Post by Nodeo-Franvier » 16 May 2021, 12:49

After a studying more about the subject,I also concluded that the difference between the two is that Iraq air defense seem to fight the coalition air power head on while Serbia took a more guerrilla approach of dispersing their SAM and AA gun this was helped by the fact that Nato is more bound to rule of engagement in Kosovo than in Baghdad and that Yugoslavia integrated air defense is superior to the Iraq ones by being less centralized allowing regional defense commands to directly communicate with each other.

Return to “Other eras”