Renovated Teutonic Castle Opened

Discussions on other historical eras.
User avatar
henryk
Member
Posts: 2443
Joined: 27 Jan 2004 01:11
Location: London, Ontario

Renovated Teutonic Castle Opened

Post by henryk » 27 Jun 2021 20:04

https://www.polskieradio.pl/395/7989/Ar ... ern-Poland
The location, Szczytno, is about 40 km southeast of Olsztyn and about 80 km east of Grunwald.
Makeover for 14th-century Teutonic castle in northeastern Poland
Polish Radio 27.06.2021 08:15

A 14th-century Teutonic castle has reopened to the public in northeastern Poland after a three-year makeover aiming to turn it into a major tourist draw. The medieval castle in the northeastern Polish town of Szczytno was built around the year 1350 by the Knights of the Teutonic Order. After the renovation, the castle in the northeastern town of Szczytno will serve as a venue for concerts, exhibitions, business events, social functions and educational activities.

The 14th-century castle was once home to the mighty Knights of the Teutonic Order, which controlled vast expanses of land in medieval Europe. The run-down castle, renovated at a cost of around PLN 17 million (EUR 3.8 million, USD 4.6 million), will be illuminated at nighttime to bear witness to the town’s colorful history, which included a period centuries ago when it was home to the mighty Knights of the Teutonic Order.

More than six centuries ago, allied Polish and Lithuanian forces crushed the Knights of the Teutonic Order at the 1410 Battle of Grunwald in what is considered to be one of the most glorious and significant military victories in Polish history. Fought on July 15, 1410, the Battle of Grunwald saw Polish King Władysław Jagiełło and his army of allied forces defeat the war machine of the Teutonic Knights, which had previously been regarded as invincible.

(gs) Source: PAP, onet.pl

User avatar
henryk
Member
Posts: 2443
Joined: 27 Jan 2004 01:11
Location: London, Ontario

Re: Renovated Teutonic Castle Opened

Post by henryk » 28 Jun 2021 21:25

https://medievalheritage.eu/en/main-pag ... ic-castle/
The Ortelsburg Castle was built before 1360, as the seat of the Teutonic pfleger, who managed the southern part of the Elbląg commandry. The initiator of its construction was the oberstspittler and commander of Elbląg Ortulf von Trier, from whose name the German-speaking name of the castle comes from. Soon, settlers started coming to the settlements at the fortress, mainly from nearby Mazovia. They started to call Ortelsburg as Szczytno, making a name from the Latin names of the nearby lakes Sciten Maior and Sciten Minor. The then castle was still a timber building, which was destroyed by Lithuanians in 1370.
At the end of the 14th century, a new brick castle was erected on the site of the destroyed building. It suffered serious damages in the fifteenth and early sixteenth century during the wars with Poland. During the Thirteen Years’ War, after the capture of the Prussian Confederation, for almost a year and a half, the Polish garrison was stationed there. Later, they had to surrender the stronghold to the overwhelming Teutonic forces. After the Second Peace of Toruń from 1466, the castle remained within the borders of the Teutonic state, and after secularization in 1525, the seat of the princely starosts was established in it. Due to the proximity of the wild forest, it began to play the role of a hunting residence. The renovation of the castle was commissioned in 1579-1581 by the prince of Prussia, Margrave George Frederick Ansbach. These works transformed the stronghold into an early modern residence, the representative interiors were covered with wall paintings and valuable furnishings. Due to the border location, important diplomatic meetings took place here. At that time, the building received external fortifications with four round corner towers.
In the 17th century, during the Swedish wars, the castle deteriorated and at the end of that century it was abandoned. In the 18th century, the eastern wing and external fortifications were demolished, in order to obtain building material for the local population. At the end of the eighteenth century, the main tower and the southern wing were also destroyed. The dismantling was continued unfortunately in the next century. The outer ward was destroyed during the construction of a new town hall in the 1930s. The first archaeological research began in 1924, when the outline of the castle’s complex from early modern times was unveiled and partly reconstructed.

Return to “Other eras”