Iraq special forces in Iran-Iraq war

Discussions on other historical eras.
Nodeo-Franvier

Iraq special forces in Iran-Iraq war

Post by Nodeo-Franvier » 22 Jul 2021, 06:07

In the book Saddam war,Senior Iraqis General Hamdani noted that in the early war period special force(Not to be confused with Republican Guard and Special republican
Guard) play an important role in Iraq victories. But I'm unable to find any information pertaining to these special force on the internet,Anyone got any information about them?

Nemmexe

Re: Iraq special forces in Iran-Iraq war

Post by Nemmexe » 03 Oct 2021, 20:43

Hello there my friend.

The units that you are looking for them, are 31st, 32nd and most notable of all, best of best, 33rd Special Forces Brigades.

If you need more info, please let me know.

Nodeo-Franvier

Post by Nodeo-Franvier » 06 Oct 2021, 09:32

Nemmexe wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 20:43
Hello there my friend.

The units that you are looking for them, are 31st, 32nd and most notable of all, best of best, 33rd Special Forces Brigades.

Thanks! Do you have any information about their equipment/tactics/personel and the operation they take part in?

Nemmexe

Post by Nemmexe » 06 Oct 2021, 15:04

Nodeo-Franvier wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 09:32
Nemmexe wrote:
Hello there my friend.

Thanks! Do you have any information about their equipment/tactics/personel and the operation they take part in?
No info about personnel and tactics, unfortunately. The 33rd had 5 battalions of 4 companies each, as fifth battalion was reserve. The other two followed simple 3-3 system.

They were equipped by Soviet equipment, like rest of the Iraqi Army at time.

About the battles, most notable one is the Battle of Khorramshahr, where 33rd confronted and was severely damaged by Iranian's 1st Marine Battalion.

The other notable one is when 32nd was fighting with Iranian 55th Airborne Brigade at Northwestern front in January - February 1981.

All of them were deployed at Khorramshahr during Operation Beitol-moqaddas that led to City's recapture by Iranian Forces.

Iranian Forces claim that 33rd was almost annihilate d during battle and the others received severe damages. However no access to any Iraqi Military document to accept or deny the claim.

Nodeo-Franvier

Post by Nodeo-Franvier » 27 Nov 2021, 14:49

Nemmexe wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 15:04
Nodeo-Franvier wrote:
Nemmexe wrote:
Hello there my friend.

No info about personnel and tactics, unfortunately. The 33rd had 5 battalions of 4 companies each, as fifth battalion was reserve. The other two followed simple 3-3 system.

About the battles, most notable one is the Battle of Khorramshahr, where 33rd confronted and was severely damaged by Iranian's 1st Marine Battalion.

The other notable one is when 32nd was fighting with Iranian 55th Airborne Brigade at Northwestern front in January - February 1981.

All of them were deployed at Khorramshahr during Operation Beitol-moqaddas that led to City's recapture by Iranian Forces.

Iranian Forces claim that 33rd was almost annihilate d during battle and the others received severe damages. However no access to any Iraqi Military document to accept or deny the claim.
Do you have any recommendations on where can I study about this subject?

Nodeo-Franvier

Post by Nodeo-Franvier » 04 Jan 2022, 18:57

Nemmexe wrote:
Nodeo-Franvier wrote:
Nemmexe wrote:
Hello there my friend.

Do you know when these units were founded? Were they founded before or after 1973 war?

Nemmexe

Post by Nemmexe » 05 Apr 2022, 16:01

Nodeo-Franvier wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 18:57
Nemmexe wrote:
Nodeo-Franvier wrote:
Nemmexe wrote:
Hello there my friend.

Do you know when these units were founded? Were they founded before or after 1973 war?
Hello, and sorry for my absence.

Unfortunately, No, I have no idea / information about their establishment date.

I know that 33rd was oldest and best of them. It was active during Iraqi invasion of Kuwait. No info about its fate.

Return to “Other eras”