Germanophobie / Anti-German sentiment ?

Discussions on other historical eras.
Hans1906
Banned

Germanophobie / Anti-German sentiment ?

Post by Hans1906 » 22 Oct 2021, 19:32

Quote:
Germanophobia (also German-hatred or German(en)hostility) is an attitude that rejects Germans, sometimes Germany per se, with its culture, language, and ascribed "traits." During imperialist conflicts and wars in the 19th and 20th centuries, this was a widespread phenomenon in other countries, especially those that fought wars with Germany.
Source: Wikipedia

May this be a topic, if it is a topic for you, your opinions are very certainly worth reading, of mutual insults that should not take place here.

In this sense

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Hans1906
Banned

Re: Germanophobie / Anti-German sentiment ?

Post by Hans1906 » 22 Oct 2021, 20:47

I won't name any sources, but my German ancestry was beaten around my ears many times, not just once.

Pure racism played a role again and again, and this racism was on a very simple level, regardless of one's own skin color.
Is probably an evil of our time, only a few people can jump over their own shadow, unfortunately still.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

danebrog

Post by danebrog » 23 Oct 2021, 20:28

Is probably an evil of our time, only a few people can jump over their own shadow, unfortunately still.
Suppose we woke up one morning and found that suddenly everyone had the same skin color and the same faith, we would be guaranteed to have new prejudices by noon.
Georg Christoph Lichtenberg, 1742 - 1799

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 24 Oct 2021, 08:41

An interesting subject. Thanks for posting.

I am convinced that every cultural group or nation has its special mentalities and characteristics. Even
when we compare us with our neighbours, the French, nobody will deny that there are clear differences
here. The French have different characteristics than, for example, southern Italians or Norwegians.

Even after 30 years of separation, i.e. only one generation, there are differences between people between
the new and old federal states within Germany, and that with a common language and history.

After 20 years in Africa and the Middle East, these are my experiences when it comes to comparing specific
mentalities of different cultural groups. To get to the point, Germans are generally more unfriendly, more
intolerant, harsh and much more direct than other nations, but they undoubtedly also have advantages.

An old Tanzanian proverb was in Swahili:
Wengereza maneno mazuri, roho kali,
Wadtaschi maneno makali, roho nzuri

(Today's Swahili grammar would certainly be written differently)

Deutsch:
Die Deutschen haben harte Worte aber ein weiches Herz,
die Engländer benutzen weiche Worte sind aber hartherzig
.“

To come back to your remark; - I've never seen someone treat me badly because I'm German. On the contrary,
German product quality and engineering are welcomed everywhere around the world. Absurd, but in Arab-Muslim
nations, Germans are even admired for their crimes against the Jews. 15 years ago I was asked in Libya whether
Adolf Hitler was still alive. I tried to explain to them that if it hadn't been for these madmen, these historical problems
between Israel and its Arab neighbours would not have existed.

Germanophobia (also German-hatred or German(en)hostility) is an attitude that rejects Germans, sometimes
Germany per se, with its culture, language, and ascribed "traits." During imperialist conflicts and wars in the
19th and 20th centuries, this was a widespread phenomenon in other countries, especially those that fought
wars with Germany.
I can definitely confirm the statement. In my opinion this is due to two lost world wars. In both wars, the British
Empire in particular was brought to the brink of the abyss and only saved from it with the help of the Americans.

But those who hate the Germans the most nowadays; - are the Germans themselves:

Dazu kommt, vor allem unter den politischen und medialen Eliten in Deutschland, „eine feindselige Haltung
gegenüber der eigenen Gesellschaft und ihrer politischen Ordnung, bei gleichzeitiger Glorifizierung alles Fremden,“
wie der Psychiater Alexander Meschnig diagnostiziert hat: „Der Selbsthass und die eigene Bußfertigkeit, die in der
Abwertung des Eigenen eine Tugend erblickt, sind so tief in den kulturellen Traditionen unserer protestantisch
geprägten Schuldkultur verwurzelt, dass etwa jegliche Kritik an der selbstzerstörerischen Asylpolitik als moralisches
Versagen und herzlose Haltung erscheint. Europa, der geografische und politische Raum, in dem die Menschenrechte
erfunden wurden, wird so wahrscheinlich an der strikten Einhaltung seiner humanistischen Grundsätze zugrunde
gehen.

Cheers Holger
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 25 Oct 2021, 13:42

My thanks to Holger for his very interesting post, this is exactly, what I was waiting for.

I am not a fan of overlong quotes, because they unnecessarily dilute any topic.

Thanks so far for both responses, and I'd love it, if we could continue to exchange ideas in this style...

In this sense

Hans

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 25 Oct 2021, 15:42

I still remember, how we Bundeswehr soldiers were greeted on the street, by a Canadian with his right arm raised after our arrival
at the Winnipeg airport.

That was in the year 1979, the man with the Hitler salute was not a young man anymore.
The fewest comrades in the Bundeswehr bus at that time will have noticed that, I myself very well.

This was Canada, no longer Germany, and we young soldiers were flown there, to prepare for a future emergency, for a third world war.
German Leopard tanks in a Canadian wasteland, an unreal situation, that's how I felt at the time.

But the unfortunately few weeks there were very formative for me, the people, the vast landscape, the unfortunately few encounters with the "natives", I will never forget.
There are two sides to everything in our lives, despite all the anti-German prejudice, Canada has been a bright spot, always.

Hans

P.S. Unfortunately, I was far to young in 1979, and to ignorant, to realize, what our German army training in Canada meant to many locals.
I understand it better today, it is very good that Germans will not train there anymore.

Linkagain

Post by Linkagain » 25 Oct 2021, 17:38

my mothers maternal ancestors 2/4 came from German and German Swiss families {a mixture of Old [rangfing from 150 years {Pennsylvania} to 90 years [From Bavaria] at about the time World war I in 1917...My great-great grandfather had a very distinctive German Swiss name -as far as I can tell he was not drafted because he was married , had children, was in his mid 30's and was in a needed occupation {a farmer}... his wife came from an old English colonial family {Massachusetts]....the nearest anti Kaiser expression in my mother's home county.. one town that had named itself Berlin {After the franco prussian war of 1870} chanaged the name to a old trading post...a legend is that
a Luthern pastor wanted to pray for the Kaiser...one member of the congregation got up and said that he had 2 grandsons in the AEF he and several others walked out and joined another church..

Return to “Other eras”