Christmas Korea 1950

Discussions on other historical eras.
Linkagain

Christmas Korea 1950

Post by Linkagain » 25 Dec 2021, 16:08

Thanks to MacArthur The MArines and remenets of Army Regiments had to conduct a fighting retreat from the Chosin Reservoir against the Chinese in which a warm day was 30 degrees below Zero!! :thumbsup: :milwink:
Contrary to a Stupied Korea War Comedy No US Army phyiscian dressed as Saint Nick used a helicopter to adminster to the Wounded..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LineDoggie

Re: Christmas Korea 1950

Post by LineDoggie » 26 Dec 2021, 04:28

How O.P. Smith saved 15,000 Marines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rf-KpV ... %28UCTV%29
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

Tucobenedito

Post by Tucobenedito » 27 Mar 2022, 19:49

My father in law served in Korea as a young US Marine. He told a story of a Christmas tree in No mans land. The tree was decorated with blue Christmas stockings. They thought it was booby trapped and were scared to approach. They eventually figured out it was not booby trapped. Inside the blue stockings were chocolates and cigarettes. There was also anti war propaganda documents (some of it from American commentators and newspapers) asking questions such as , if you live in a democracy how many of you voted to be here at Christmas?. I have photographs of the items (My father in law passed away but the stocking and documents are still in the family's possession) as well as sketches my father in law drew 20 years after the war.
One in particular is striking, a single file column of marines marches towards the front line while in the background Korean carpenters are making coffins. If I can figure out how to upload the photos I will post them soon.
The stocking was offered to the Marine Corp Museum but they said that although they wanted it they probably would not display it. So we kept it.

LAstry

Post by LAstry » 27 Mar 2022, 20:27

How about sending photographs of the stoking and sketchs to USMC meseum....with a explanation of when and where the y came about ? {Keeping the orginal sketchs of course}

Tucobenedito

Post by Tucobenedito » 28 Mar 2022, 01:01

I did exactly that. Sent them photos of everything with an explanation. My father in law was still alive at the time and they actually invited him and other Korean War Vets to Washington DC about 10 years ago.

Tucobenedito

Post by Tucobenedito » 28 Mar 2022, 18:13

]Photos of aforementioned stocking, diary and some sketches
Papa San.jpeg
Marine.jpeg
Macnineguns Forward.jpeg
Korean xmas stocking.JPG
Korean Diary.JPG

Tucobenedito

Post by Tucobenedito » 28 Mar 2022, 20:47

Linkagain wrote:
25 Dec 2021, 16:08
Thanks to MacArthur The MArines and remenets of Army Regiments had to conduct a fighting retreat from the Chosin Reservoir against the Chinese in which a warm day was 30 degrees below Zero!! :thumbsup: :milwink:
Contrary to a Stupied Korea War Comedy No US Army phyiscian dressed as Saint Nick used a helicopter to adminster to the Wounded..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My Korean War Veteran Father in law had sore damaged feet from Korea. Most of his unit suffered some form of frostbite. He said he got in the queue at the medics, when he got closer to the front of queue he saw they were cutting toes off everyone who complained of frostbite. When it came to his turn and they asked what he wanted he told them “nothin” and went on his way.

Return to “Other eras”