The end of tanks as we know it?

Discussions on other historical eras.
Cult Icon

Re: The end of tanks as we know it?

Post by Cult Icon » 21 Jun 2022, 15:06

lartiste wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 00:28

I disagree with your point. The basic argument is, that until now, we have not seen proper use of tanks on Russian side. They are trying to use the tanks, but they are far from rational use of tanks. At first I would like to point out the lack of any kind of security of tank units.

Example:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1518889360581697538

As you can see, usual russian modus operandi, all guns straight forward, no one is covering flanks, no drone or helicopter. I have seen hundreds of such videos and photos, when attacked from flanks, it is turkey shooting. Just compare it with this photo from Vietnam:

f32.jpeg

Tanks, even massed might be used, but first of all they need proper recon tools (drones, even equipped with thermovision), cover tools - helicopters or planes of close support, infantry and must be deployed reasonably and properly. We will see whether UA army will be able to perform any better in offensives.

My point is tank is still great tool, but need to be used properly with necessary support.
Don't agree with your entire post, I think you have the wrong impressions of what is going on.

I will no longer post about the Ukraine war. Since discussion of the Ukraine war is banned on this forum my PM box is open.

lartiste

Post by lartiste » 21 Jun 2022, 21:43

ljadw wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 19:44
And when these recon tools are not available ?
Don't forget that Russia attacked with a tiny manpower and as substitution, they used a lot of fire power .
My point was more general concerning use of tanks in wars of 21st century.

The Russians have different strategy, they tried to use tanks, but failed due to lack of recon tools, infantry and knowledge how to operate tanks formations. Now they came back to what is their army ready for and are slowly destroying everything with artillery and tanks are deployed only to support slow move of infantry to positions destroyed by artillery.

I am still shocked, how poorly they were operating tank formations. I read even opinions, that basic problem was lack of crew and that the tanks were operated only by 2 man crew instead 3.

Otherwise I am not aware whether UA army is any better, because roots of education of officers are at the end of the day same.

lartiste

Post by lartiste » 21 Jun 2022, 21:46

Indeed interesting topic on possibly 2 man crew:

https://twitter.com/The_Tech_Son/status ... 3384527877

VanillaNuns

Post by VanillaNuns » 07 Jul 2022, 13:09

BBC analysis article:

Ukraine War - is the tank now doomed?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61967180

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 11 Jul 2022, 15:00

I'll stick to general principles and avoid discussion of Ukraine and propaganda & misinformation:

1. Prior to the Ukr collapse in the Luhansk Oblast the Russian army had only one combat battalion deployed per 6-19 KM of front on a frontline of approx. 1069 KM. The highest tactical density was in the Donbass. This was approx. 1-4 infantry squads/1-4 IFVs per KM of front!! Now that the front is straightened it is around 1000 KM.

There were classic WW2 style maneuver operations deployed, like the opening phases of the campaign and the 3 echelon breakthrough operation at Popasna. However I suspect that routinely employing such operations entails too much risk for a peacetime army. Too many eggs in one basket.

2. Peacetime professional armies are by their nature too small. Also the modest Russian 300-200 sorties and 40-20 missile launches per day are primarily for strategic and operational depths/interdiction, rather than close air support. Aircraft and helicopters are valuable and cannot operate in conditions that make them turkey meat for MANPADS and other AA weapons. Drones have heavy losses due to Russian AA/Anti-drone countermeasures. Drones are most useful for artillery recon and must be deployed en masse than relying on a small number of expensive UAVs.

Operational maneuver and encirclements require a lot of infantryman that peacetime armies cannot provide, particularly against an enemy on total war footing with inexhaustible reserves of manpower.

3. The technique of relying heavily on firepower over infantry/tank maneuver is correct. The victor is the one with exponentially superior firepower. A way that the 'attrition' phase of operations could be improved would be aimed at a dramatic narrowing of the time dimension. This could be solved with improved logistics, improved targeting systems (satellites, drones/UAVs, lasers, information management, recon, etc.), improved artillery weapons (longer ranged high precision self-propelled guns and MLRS), dramatically increased quantity/and dramatically reduced cost of guided munitions.

So say the cost of the expensive Krasnopol guided shell/Excalibur was reduced by 50% or more, and much more guided rounds were issued to improve artillery efficiency. And the attrition phase was reduced from 4 weeks to 2 weeks, or from 2 weeks to 1 week.

mezsat2

Post by mezsat2 » 13 Jul 2022, 09:35

"2. Peacetime professional armies are by their nature too small. Also the modest Russian 300-200 sorties and 40-20 missile launches per day are primarily for strategic and operational depths/interdiction, rather than close air support. Aircraft and helicopters are valuable and cannot operate in conditions that make them turkey meat for MANPADS and other AA weapons."

100% correct. In digressing to the days of Stalingrad, the Soviets deployed almost 2 million infantry to surround 6th army. The Russians deployed at most 100 thousand to try to "encircle" the Ukrainians in the Donbas. A cursory analysis of this is this is impossible. Far too many very large gaps in the line would allow for almost the entire surviving Ukrainian army to retreat in fairly good order. In addition, the Ukrainians were, and are, well fed and definitely not freezing on the march in July.

mezsat2

Post by mezsat2 » 13 Jul 2022, 10:29

Food for thought- horse cavalry can again be reemployed as a scouting and encirclement force, if provided MANPADS and ATGMs. One man on horseback with these weapons (loaded on a "support" horse) can move as fast as a tank and is a possibly a more survivable (and far cheaper) platform for rapid maneuver. That is if the artillery has already swept the field for them.

At the end of the day, the potency of modern infantry weapons has reduced the potential of even "combined arms" offensives. Perhaps old school, cheap dive bombers (like Stukas) would provide better close air support than multi-million dollar helos.

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 17 Jul 2022, 15:34

The most economical solution is long ranged self-propelled artillery and MLRS deployed with tactical enhancements and in mass, equipped with vast quantities of ammunition (with as much precision guided ammunition as possible) to compete with the Russians. Competitive and sufficiently large artillery forces should form the base of any army. I don't think any country (except for drone powers like the US and China) has enough drones/UAVs and laser targeting systems due to the very high drone losses in real combat.

This is NATO's current problem as the artillery forces and ammunition supply of member countries are too weak to release an excess reserve that can compete with the Russians and their legacy soviet arsenal. Msta (SP 152mm) has performed well and is economical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2S19_Msta

PzH 2000 is a very good SP gun, possibly the best in NATO but its market price is 11-12 times more than the Russian Msta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzerhaubitze_2000

Ukraine possessed a lot of operational long ranged SAMs, mainly legacy Soviet S-300 that were restored to operational status. And also medium and short-ranged SAMs. This effected the operation of the Russian air force.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-300_missile_system

Helmut0815

The new Panther KF51

Post by Helmut0815 » 18 Jul 2022, 19:21

On 13th June 2022 Rheinmetall presented the new KF51 Panther – a MBT build to defeat the russian T-14 Armata, a possible game changer for the battlefields of the future

Source: https://rheinmetall-defence.com/en/rhei ... /index.php

Brochure (pdf, english language): https://rheinmetall-defence.com/media/e ... r_KF51.pdf

regards

Helmut

lartiste

Post by lartiste » 18 Jul 2022, 22:42

Cult Icon wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 15:34
The most economical solution is long ranged self-propelled artillery and MLRS deployed with tactical enhancements and in mass, equipped with vast quantities of ammunition (with as much precision guided ammunition as possible) to compete with the Russians. Competitive and sufficiently large artillery forces should form the base of any army. I don't think any country (except for drone powers like the US and China) has enough drones/UAVs and laser targeting systems due to the very high drone losses in real combat.

This is NATO's current problem as the artillery forces and ammunition supply of member countries are too weak to release an excess reserve that can compete with the Russians and their legacy soviet arsenal. Msta (SP 152mm) has performed well and is economical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2S19_Msta

PzH 2000 is a very good SP gun, possibly the best in NATO but its market price is 11-12 times more than the Russian Msta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzerhaubitze_2000

Ukraine possessed a lot of operational long ranged SAMs, mainly legacy Soviet S-300 that were restored to operational status. And also medium and short-ranged SAMs. This effected the operation of the Russian air force.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-300_missile_system
Good points.

My observations:

First, NATO armies are different, they do not rely on artillery that much, but instead on US AIR FORCE. Therefore they lack both, platforms and ammunition. Secondary problem is production and whether there are capacities to increase it in peace environment quickly and significantly. Even if it is possible to increase the production the problem of raw material will slow it up, e.g. titan.

Second, NATO armies, in particular many European members already sent that much, that they are unable to replenish the stock in any near future. In fact, at the moment everyone only relies on US capacities. Which is in general bad, but it will enable increase of GDP in US since all eastern European countries sent nearly all ex-soviet weapons and ammunition to UA and now they are trying to purchase mainly US platforms.

My final point is, that it is difficult to make any conclusions since we have no idea what is going on in Russia and we have only limited knowledge what is goin on in Ukraine. In my opinion this war may also ends by collapse of either party, or rather collapse of will to fight. This is way too complex issue. In my opinion sanctions are effective tool and harms Russia a lot but we need to keep them as long as possible. But Russia is playing gas games with EU and it is unclear whether we (EU) will be willing to act in accordance with famous quotation of Justice Cardozo

"The Constitution was framed under the dominion of a political philosophy less parochial in range. It was framed upon the theory that the peoples of the several states must sink or swim together, and that in the long run prosperity and salvation are in union and not division."

I will leave it here, since the rest is just politics ... .

lartiste

Post by lartiste » 18 Jul 2022, 22:54

Cult Icon wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 15:00
I'll stick to general principles and avoid discussion of Ukraine and propaganda & misinformation:

1. Prior to the Ukr collapse in the Luhansk Oblast the Russian army had only one combat battalion deployed per 6-19 KM of front on a frontline of approx. 1069 KM. The highest tactical density was in the Donbass. This was approx. 1-4 infantry squads/1-4 IFVs per KM of front!! Now that the front is straightened it is around 1000 KM.

There were classic WW2 style maneuver operations deployed, like the opening phases of the campaign and the 3 echelon breakthrough operation at Popasna. However I suspect that routinely employing such operations entails too much risk for a peacetime army. Too many eggs in one basket.

2. Peacetime professional armies are by their nature too small. Also the modest Russian 300-200 sorties and 40-20 missile launches per day are primarily for strategic and operational depths/interdiction, rather than close air support. Aircraft and helicopters are valuable and cannot operate in conditions that make them turkey meat for MANPADS and other AA weapons. Drones have heavy losses due to Russian AA/Anti-drone countermeasures. Drones are most useful for artillery recon and must be deployed en masse than relying on a small number of expensive UAVs.

Operational maneuver and encirclements require a lot of infantryman that peacetime armies cannot provide, particularly against an enemy on total war footing with inexhaustible reserves of manpower.

3. The technique of relying heavily on firepower over infantry/tank maneuver is correct. The victor is the one with exponentially superior firepower. A way that the 'attrition' phase of operations could be improved would be aimed at a dramatic narrowing of the time dimension. This could be solved with improved logistics, improved targeting systems (satellites, drones/UAVs, lasers, information management, recon, etc.), improved artillery weapons (longer ranged high precision self-propelled guns and MLRS), dramatically increased quantity/and dramatically reduced cost of guided munitions.

So say the cost of the expensive Krasnopol guided shell/Excalibur was reduced by 50% or more, and much more guided rounds were issued to improve artillery efficiency. And the attrition phase was reduced from 4 weeks to 2 weeks, or from 2 weeks to 1 week.
Just my point towards Russian army. It is conscript army, only partially professional army. I Ukraine they are using:

1. professional soldiers
2. conscripts (limited number) and high number of minorities
3. Wagner who even operates air planes
4. volunteers and conscripts from LNR/DNR

but they clearly lacks man power. We will see whether new UA strategy to destroy ammunition depots will work in long run.

And true is that UA strategy only works provided that they can play "hit & run" game. Otherwise they are unable to compete with RUF. My question is whether UAF is building new army in the west part of the country and will send brand new units to offensive or whether RUF is destroying them so quickly, that they are unable to build significant reserves.

Peter89

Post by Peter89 » 19 Jul 2022, 11:15

lartiste wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 22:42
Cult Icon wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 15:34

Good points.

My observations:

First, NATO armies are different, they do not rely on artillery that much, but instead on US AIR FORCE.
Therefore they lack both, platforms and ammunition. Secondary problem is production and whether there are capacities to increase it in peace environment quickly and significantly. Even if it is possible to increase the production the problem of raw material will slow it up, e.g. titan.
Well, I don't quite agree with either of you in this. The European members of the NATO systematically reduced their ground heavy weaponry, and it was a mutually oversaw action starting from 1990, according to the Vienna Documents, well before the former Eastern bloc joined NATO / EU. Also after the Yugoslav war the West Balkans started to demilitarize heavy weaponry. These confidence-building measures served a purpose that no continental war should ever again take place, all according to the spirit of Helsinki. Which is gone now. So European armies relied on demilitarization and not air force or artillery. The way European defense forces were employed was fundamentally expeditionary in nature; I seriously doubt that any European army has a contingency plan for a major war on the continent. And even if it would come to that, the plans would only contain preparations for a war against Russia, which would inevitably delegate the question to nuclear war or high-tech war; in the former, there is no answer and in the latter, the West still holds a considerable advantage.

This kind of expeditionary warfare, the one that has been practicised by European countries rely on air force and amphibious capabilities not because it "seemed to be a better idea" for them, but because from a suitable platform (carrier) air power can be projected in any part of the world, combining the advantages of precision strikes and air superiority. You see, mass artillery is not really an expeditionary or peace-keeping weaponry; mass artillery is a weapon of symmetric warfare. The reason why European powers don't really exercise their air power in offensive actions is also the fruit of the mutual demilitarization process. The last time when a European power (France) employed air power in a UN-unauthorized strike offensively, it costed them a tremendous amount of political credit.

As a consequnce of this 50 year long demilitarization and mutual trust-building process, democratic European nations found it ever harder to argue at budgetary debates for a larger army. So it resulted in a very high emphasis of semi-military activities like search & rescue, reconnaissance, telecommunications, medical care, all-terrain and all-weather equipment, etc. some of which are the best in the field. But of course Ukraine is not integrated into any of these operations, infrastructures or training.
lartiste wrote:
Second, NATO armies, in particular many European members already sent that much, that they are unable to replenish the stock in any near future. In fact, at the moment everyone only relies on US capacities. Which is in general bad, but it will enable increase of GDP in US since all eastern European countries sent nearly all ex-soviet weapons and ammunition to UA and now they are trying to purchase mainly US platforms.
Well I sincerely doubt that.

I am only familiar with the Hungarian numbers, but Hungary has:
- 164 T72M1
- some 5-600 BTR-80 and BTR-80A
- 314 BRDM-2
- 300 D-20
- 400 9M113 Konkurs/9K115-2 Metis-M/9K111 Fagot
- 28 MIG-29
- hundreds of trucks, mortars, etc.

Most of them are not used and will be replaced soon. The problem is not that; the problem is that supplying the war in Ukraine will leave the Eastern European countries practically defenseless, and there is simply not enough Portuguese and Spanish troops on the eastern frontiers of the EU to make the defense of these countries a plausible scenario. Thus each individual country will only give up as much equipment as it is absolutely necessary, because the mutual confidence itself was shattered.
lartiste wrote:
My final point is, that it is difficult to make any conclusions since we have no idea what is going on in Russia and we have only limited knowledge what is goin on in Ukraine. In my opinion this war may also ends by collapse of either party, or rather collapse of will to fight. This is way too complex issue. In my opinion sanctions are effective tool and harms Russia a lot but we need to keep them as long as possible. But Russia is playing gas games with EU and it is unclear whether we (EU) will be willing to act in accordance with famous quotation of Justice Cardozo

"The Constitution was framed under the dominion of a political philosophy less parochial in range. It was framed upon the theory that the peoples of the several states must sink or swim together, and that in the long run prosperity and salvation are in union and not division."
Exactly. But the problem is that the EU structure was not meant for these kind of tasks; it was never meant to be a joint defense alliance, it was meant to be a demilitarization project. And the rest of the world (including, if not first and foremost the Anglo-Saxon countries) is against the rise of a new global player. The last time the Europeans wanted to be global players, European flags waved from Tsingtao to New York.
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

lartiste

Post by lartiste » 20 Jul 2022, 02:03

Peter89 wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 11:15

Well, I don't quite agree with either of you in this. The European members of the NATO systematically reduced their ground heavy weaponry, and it was a mutually oversaw action starting from 1990, according to the Vienna Documents, well before the former Eastern bloc joined NATO / EU. Also after the Yugoslav war the West Balkans started to demilitarize heavy weaponry. These confidence-building measures served a purpose that no continental war should ever again take place, all according to the spirit of Helsinki. Which is gone now. So European armies relied on demilitarization and not air force or artillery. The way European defense forces were employed was fundamentally expeditionary in nature; I seriously doubt that any European army has a contingency plan for a major war on the continent. And even if it would come to that, the plans would only contain preparations for a war against Russia, which would inevitably delegate the question to nuclear war or high-tech war; in the former, there is no answer and in the latter, the West still holds a considerable advantage.

This kind of expeditionary warfare, the one that has been practicised by European countries rely on air force and amphibious capabilities not because it "seemed to be a better idea" for them, but because from a suitable platform (carrier) air power can be projected in any part of the world, combining the advantages of precision strikes and air superiority. You see, mass artillery is not really an expeditionary or peace-keeping weaponry; mass artillery is a weapon of symmetric warfare. The reason why European powers don't really exercise their air power in offensive actions is also the fruit of the mutual demilitarization process. The last time when a European power (France) employed air power in a UN-unauthorized strike offensively, it costed them a tremendous amount of political credit.

As a consequnce of this 50 year long demilitarization and mutual trust-building process, democratic European nations found it ever harder to argue at budgetary debates for a larger army. So it resulted in a very high emphasis of semi-military activities like search & rescue, reconnaissance, telecommunications, medical care, all-terrain and all-weather equipment, etc. some of which are the best in the field. But of course Ukraine is not integrated into any of these operations, infrastructures or training.
You are of course correct, but still even during II ww western countries relied a bit more on air force compare to Russia who relied more on artillery. Or am I wrong?
Peter89 wrote:

- 164 T72M1
- 314 BRDM-2
- 300 D-20
- 28 MIG-29

Most of them are not used and will be replaced soon. The problem is not that; the problem is that supplying the war in Ukraine will leave the Eastern European countries practically defenseless, and there is simply not enough Portuguese and Spanish troops on the eastern frontiers of the EU to make the defense of these countries a plausible scenario. Thus each individual country will only give up as much equipment as it is absolutely necessary, because the mutual confidence itself was shattered.
Hungary is not good example since Orban is not supporting UA that much, he is trying to get along with Russia and I even read, that Russia promised him part of western UA territory.

On the contrary Czechs and Slovaks sent near everything in respect of tanks and artillery. In Czechia I do not think we have any sufficient number of tanks anymore. May be, there are few remaining but thats it. Slovakia gave up air defense and handed over S -300 (Germany is providing air defense with Patriots) and also allegedly handed over MiGs 29.

Poland handed over all T - 72 and hopefully will hand over their own PT - 91 (modernized T-72M1), but thats all. They are now buying 250 M1A2 from US + more as replacements of those PT - 91 + 180 Korean K2 Black Panther.

Balts are in my opinion completely depleted. I am not well informed on Bulgaria and Romania. But they are also providing equipment.

In CEE region we are afraid, that if we will not stop putin in 🇺🇦, next time we will have to stop him at our doors. And the price we will pay will be much greater. I am shocked, that many can't see it. Therefore we are providing everything.

Clearly baltic states are too small therefore their successful defense is not plausible scenario. The rest depends when Poland will receive all new equipment. I understand, that Portuguese and Spanish troops are not the key but still helpful. From this point of view most important fact is that Finland and Sweden are joining NATO. This can really help regarding the defense of eastern frontiers of the EU.

Peter89 wrote:

Exactly. But the problem is that the EU structure was not meant for these kind of tasks; it was never meant to be a joint defense alliance, it was meant to be a demilitarization project. And the rest of the world (including, if not first and foremost the Anglo-Saxon countries) is against the rise of a new global player. The last time the Europeans wanted to be global players, European flags waved from Tsingtao to New York.
I hoped that we can get rid of dependency on USA and that Europe and its defense may be managed by France and Germany. My dream died on February 24. Now it is clear, that Europe can't defense it self without USA. Unfortunately.

Peter89

Post by Peter89 » 20 Jul 2022, 09:15

lartiste wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 02:03
Peter89 wrote:

You are of course correct, but still even during II ww western countries relied a bit more on air force compare to Russia who relied more on artillery. Or am I wrong?
I am not sure about that from the middle of the war, the Wallies had ample of artillery support too; and the Soviet air docrtine emphasized ground support above all the other belligerents. But in 1941-1942, this is most likely true.
lartiste wrote:
Peter89 wrote:

- 164 T72M1
- 314 BRDM-2
- 300 D-20
- 28 MIG-29

Hungary is not good example since Orban is not supporting UA that much, he is trying to get along with Russia and I even read, that Russia promised him part of western UA territory.
Which would make complete sense, and would be in the best interest for both the EU, the NATO and not to mention the people who live there. However, I seriously doubt that any such deal was ever struck, and if such deal was struck, it could only make sense if Russia could overrun Ukraine in a short war (as they originally planned) and collapse its political system. Now I bet that Russia doesn't fight for Hungary's territorial gains, especially after Hungary and Orbán personally voted many sanctions against Russia and authorized arms deliveries through the country. What I think is more plausible that Hungary contemplates the total evacuation of the Hungarian minority from Ukraine, and let's not forget that Hungary accepts the most Ukrainian refugees per capita. The reason the Hungarian government doesn't support the war is that this war doesn't make sense, and a ceasefire would be in the best interest for the European and Russian populations.
lartiste wrote:
On the contrary Czechs and Slovaks sent near everything in respect of tanks and artillery. In Czechia I do not think we have any sufficient number of tanks anymore. May be, there are few remaining but thats it. Slovakia gave up air defense and handed over S -300 (Germany is providing air defense with Patriots) and also allegedly handed over MiGs 29.

Poland handed over all T - 72 and hopefully will hand over their own PT - 91 (modernized T-72M1), but thats all. They are now buying 250 M1A2 from US + more as replacements of those PT - 91 + 180 Korean K2 Black Panther.

Balts are in my opinion completely depleted. I am not well informed on Bulgaria and Romania. But they are also providing equipment.
Yes, they gave up some equipment, but they are not depleted. I know the numbers do vary and half of them are fake, so I can be convinced otherwise. I usually use this arms control site: https://www.unroca.org and additionally this one for air forces, because it contains the orders: https://www.flightglobal.com

Although the numbers do vary, the Poles gave some 200 tanks to Ukraine, they are really far from being depleted (their stocks are over 800). Also the Czechs sent "tens" of tanks which hardly compromises their inventory of over 100 tanks. Slovakia actually gave up all its 30 T-72s and 12 MIG-29s, but there is no real scenario where these numbers mattered. On top of all this, the image we have here is kinda faulty about these charity donations, for multiple reasons.

First, the maintenance, repair and overhaul expenses are very high for these units, and the Czechs and Poles (also Bulgaria) do possess the factories to carry out those works; obviously they are expecting to get paid from the international money pouring into Ukraine. And second, all the former eastern bloc countries have a disproportionately large amount of conserved heavy equipment from the Soviet era. What was sent to Ukraine so far can be easily replaced by the stocks. But I expect that no one is going to do that, because of the high de-conservation and MRO costs. I bet the western arm producers are also not sad with these developments.
lartiste wrote:
In CEE region we are afraid, that if we will not stop putin in 🇺🇦, next time we will have to stop him at our doors. And the price we will pay will be much greater. I am shocked, that many can't see it. Therefore we are providing everything.

Clearly baltic states are too small therefore their successful defense is not plausible scenario. The rest depends when Poland will receive all new equipment. I understand, that Portuguese and Spanish troops are not the key but still helpful. From this point of view most important fact is that Finland and Sweden are joining NATO. This can really help regarding the defense of eastern frontiers of the EU.
Well I am from CEE Europe so I know what you mean. Russia is a bad neighbour to have, nobody really wants that, and not just because of historical reasons. I see Finland's and Sweden's joining to the NATO quite differently. The NATO is not a European project. We have defense agreements which are based on political consensii and not a worldwide military organization that carried out crimes against humanity on a much worse scale than what happens now in the Ukraine. Finland and Sweden, once renowned neutral meeting grounds for international diplomacy, gave up that status without actual military threat. By placing our bets on the NATO, we let go the moral superiority we have over Russia.
lartiste wrote:
Peter89 wrote:
I hoped that we can get rid of dependency on USA and that Europe and its defense may be managed by France and Germany. My dream died on February 24. Now it is clear, that Europe can't defense it self without USA. Unfortunately.
I don't agree. The European armies, navies and air forces are much stronger than that of Russia; and the manpower and economy are much better and bigger as well. What Europe is lacking is the political action to integrate these forces and deploy them under a common constitutional basis; but this lack of integration is also the best interest of the United States. The only significant difference is that Europe's nuclear arsenal does not make it a real deterrence threat since the UK left. Europe does not need the USA to defend itself, but the USA needs Europe to achieve its worldwide goals of domination.
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

mezsat2

Post by mezsat2 » 23 Jul 2022, 10:55

I'm a bit mystified by the reluctance of the US to provide the hundreds of "retired" M-1A1s, M-109s and A-10 Warthogs. Instead, we're training Ukrainians on F-15s and 16s. Which, in the end, may be a form of misinformation or veiled threats, like the Russians employ with nuclear weapons. It could be that there aren't enough Ukrainian fighters left to take out of the lines to train on all these "obsolete" weapons. Who knows?

May as well dump them over there and see what they can do with them, IMHO.

Return to “Other eras”