news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Discussions on other historical eras.
User avatar
Gorque
Member
Posts: 1662
Joined: 11 Feb 2009 18:20
Location: Clocktown

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Gorque » 26 Jan 2023 21:15

Rob Lee
@RALee85
·
19h
Longer video from Ukraine's 36th Marine Brigade of the failed advance by Russian forces near Vodyane, Donetsk Oblast on Jan 14. The advance was stopped with MT-12 Rapira anti-tank guns, Stugna-P and Javelin ATGMs, and UAVs dropping munitions. 5/
https://www.facebook.com/36obmp/videos/497927272414020/

Gooner1
Member
Posts: 2792
Joined: 06 Jan 2006 12:24
Location: London

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Gooner1 » 26 Jan 2023 21:20

Cult Icon wrote:
26 Jan 2023 20:32

As indicated by the posts from you and a few others here
I'll take the compliment :lol:

The chief problem with the US/UK/Ukrainian pro-Ukrainian propaganda narrative is that it makes little to no military sense.

Posters from this site, who study WW2 should have the common sense to see the low intelligence prevalent throughout it.
Your comments make little sense. What the hell has 'study' of ww2 got to do with Ukraine today? Maybe the Good Guys winning in the end? The side with the greater economic power winning in the end? The side with the most number of tanks winning in the end?
But the weakness of your emotions overcomes reason!
Nope, reason suggests that the NATO powers will, eventually, supply Ukraine everything it needs to defeat the Orcs. Next up Typhoons or F-16s or possibly ATACMS or GLSDB.
There's a lot of stuff coming the Ukrainian way, most of it technically far superior to anything the Russians have got. Just a fact.

Interesting that you consider yourself to be stronk emotionally though! :lol:

ljadw
Member
Posts: 15683
Joined: 13 Jul 2009 17:50

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by ljadw » 26 Jan 2023 22:26

Sid Guttridge wrote:
26 Jan 2023 20:55
Hi ljadw,

You ask, "why do we need to fight against these tyrannies.....?"

I think you just answered your own question!

Cheers,

Sid.
NO :there will always be tyrannies and as long sas they are not threatening our interests ( what they mostly do not ) there is no reason to fight against them .
Before 1914 European, world statesmen were more realist than today: republican and anti-royalist France had no objection to sign an alliance with the Russian Tsar who did the same as Putin .The reason is that before 1914 Wilson and the other liberals and wokes had less influence than today . There were a lot of cruelties, ''war crimes '' during the Balkan Wars and no one intervened, because it was not the business of the states that did not participate in the wars .
Since WW1 the West has had only ONE realist foreign secretary,Henry Kissinger : only he knew that to impose our political ideas on the world was suicidal .

ljadw
Member
Posts: 15683
Joined: 13 Jul 2009 17:50

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by ljadw » 26 Jan 2023 22:31

Gooner1 wrote:
26 Jan 2023 21:20
Cult Icon wrote:
26 Jan 2023 20:32

As indicated by the posts from you and a few others here
I'll take the compliment :lol:

The chief problem with the US/UK/Ukrainian pro-Ukrainian propaganda narrative is that it makes little to no military sense.

Posters from this site, who study WW2 should have the common sense to see the low intelligence prevalent throughout it.
Your comments make little sense. What the hell has 'study' of ww2 got to do with Ukraine today? Maybe the Good Guys winning in the end? The side with the greater economic power winning in the end? The side with the most number of tanks winning in the end?
But the weakness of your emotions overcomes reason!
Nope, reason suggests that the NATO powers will, eventually, supply Ukraine everything it needs to defeat the Orcs. Next up Typhoons or F-16s or possibly ATACMS or GLSDB.
There's a lot of stuff coming the Ukrainian way, most of it technically far superior to anything the Russians have got. Just a fact.

Interesting that you consider yourself to be stronk emotionally though! :lol:
Why should we help what you call the good guys ? There are no good guys in international politics .
There is no reason to give our money to Zelensky . NO REASON AT ALL .
Did we help Cyprus when it was invaded and occupied by Turkey ? Or Iran when it was attacked by Iraq ?
Etc, etc ....

User avatar
Cult Icon
Member
Posts: 4483
Joined: 08 Apr 2014 19:00

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Cult Icon » 26 Jan 2023 22:44

IF Ukrainians had brown, black or yellow skins they would be considered as the same as the genocides of Africa: very little at all.

Leprechaun
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: 21 Feb 2018 09:44
Location: Cardiff

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Leprechaun » 26 Jan 2023 23:08

The USA is hoping to bring about regime change in Russia by using Ukraine by sending just enough to stop them going under.The USA should be careful for what they wish for !!

Gooner1
Member
Posts: 2792
Joined: 06 Jan 2006 12:24
Location: London

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Gooner1 » 26 Jan 2023 23:27

ljadw wrote:
26 Jan 2023 22:31

Why should we help what you call the good guys ? There are no good guys in international politics .
I'm guessing your folks had a good second world war.

User avatar
Cult Icon
Member
Posts: 4483
Joined: 08 Apr 2014 19:00

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Cult Icon » 27 Jan 2023 01:02

Today's missile attacks on infrastructure, also a map of the battle of Ugledar. Russian press is also in the area:

Image

Image

Tom Peters
Member
Posts: 1550
Joined: 04 Sep 2004 21:18
Location: GA

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Tom Peters » 27 Jan 2023 03:15

Cult Icon wrote:
26 Jan 2023 04:16
Before nuclear weapons, the real unasked question is why the Russians are rarely using their larger bombs in this war, and instead constantly using
Simple. It has to be dropped by a large slow moving plane that has to get relatively close (S-300 range) of its target.

You did notice that the RU and UKR are loath to expose their planes much past the FEBA ? This is the same reason the RU dont dumb-bomb Kiev and other rear area targets.

I.E. - they cant.

Mad Dog

Tom Peters
Member
Posts: 1550
Joined: 04 Sep 2004 21:18
Location: GA

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Tom Peters » 27 Jan 2023 03:18

mezsat2 wrote:
26 Jan 2023 04:53
Why not escalate to chemical weapons first? Smoke the Ukrainians right out of their fortifications? Far less collateral damage than a hydrogen bomb, no?
The RU agreed to dispose of their chem weapons a long time ago and while AFAIK they havnt finished, its quite possible that whatever stocks they have are not usable.

Other than Novichok used to murder Putins political adversaries...

Mad Dog

Tom Peters
Member
Posts: 1550
Joined: 04 Sep 2004 21:18
Location: GA

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Tom Peters » 27 Jan 2023 03:21

Cult Icon wrote:
26 Jan 2023 05:18
Here is the US using MOAB, a less powerful bomb than the Russian FOAB. They should explore this option before using Tactical nuclear weapons.
You think the RU already considered this ? I wonder if there is a reason why ?

Think, Think, Think.

1. They dont have any on hand
2. They dont want to try and drop a shit-ton of HE potentially near their own troops (the usual RU accuracy issues)
3. They are too afraid of driving a large slow plane that close to the front
4. They are just waiting for CultIcon to make the suggestion.

Could it be 1, 2, 3, or 4 or some or all of the above ?

Mad Dog

Tom Peters
Member
Posts: 1550
Joined: 04 Sep 2004 21:18
Location: GA

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Tom Peters » 27 Jan 2023 03:25

Michael Kenny wrote:
26 Jan 2023 06:21
mezsat2 wrote:
26 Jan 2023 05:09
Russia proper will never fear invasion. Putin knows this.
The key 'western mindset' that is the absolute root of the current conflict.
One would argue that the RU invasion was the key to the RU invasion.

Ru got away with a slap on the wrist when they stole Crimea. Putin wanted to roll the dice again. This time, it didnt work out, and we have our current problem.

The war can stop tomorrow if Putin withdraws his forces from UKR (I think Crimea is past its date so let RU keep it). The killing can stop. The world economy can start to heal. We can put the brakes on the new cold war.

Whats not to like about that, Micheal Kenny ? What do you say - should Putin withdraw his forces ?

Mad Dog

Tom Peters
Member
Posts: 1550
Joined: 04 Sep 2004 21:18
Location: GA

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Tom Peters » 27 Jan 2023 03:31

ljadw wrote:
26 Jan 2023 15:45

Turkey is a de facto ally of Russia:
Other than closing the Bosphorous Straights to RU mil traffic. And selling weapons to UKR. And sending UKR lots of non-mil aid.

Thats a pretty staunch RU ally there. Turkish weapons killing RU soldiers.

Of course Turkey wants to play both sides. However, calling Turkey a de facto RU ally is a looooonnng stretch.

Mad Dog

Tom Peters
Member
Posts: 1550
Joined: 04 Sep 2004 21:18
Location: GA

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Tom Peters » 27 Jan 2023 03:36

Cult Icon wrote:
26 Jan 2023 16:23
Russia is not losing the war right now. Like the Soviet Union in 1941-1942 they have never been losing the war.
This isnt some zero-sum game. Your analysis is wishful at best.

They are BOTH losing. There is no victory here. The damage is immense to both sides. What can RU hope to gain, if, for example, they manage to take all of UKR E of the Dnepr ? A partisan war ? Continued economic isolation ? Massive rebuilding costs ? Where is the victory for the RU people ?

Mad Dog

Tom Peters
Member
Posts: 1550
Joined: 04 Sep 2004 21:18
Location: GA

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Tom Peters » 27 Jan 2023 03:38

Cult Icon wrote:
26 Jan 2023 17:51
Russia is now dug-into much of the territory they annexed in the first place. Ukraine's attacks have failed to eject the occupiers.
Kherson. Lyman. UKR has taken back half of what RU stole in the opening days.

Will they take the rest back ? Hard to tell. Will the west continue to support UKR at high levels - balanced against the faltering RU economy.

Mad Dog

Return to “Other eras”