Look Away! - A History of the CSA

Discussions on other historical eras.
Marcus

Look Away! - A History of the CSA

Post by Marcus » 30 Jul 2003, 19:24

(click the cover & buy it to support the site & forum)

I've just started reading "Look Away! : A History of the Confederate States of America" by William Davis and I'd like to hear your views on this book and the other books by the same author.

Can you recommend any other books dealing with the CSA?

/Marcus

Xanthro

Post by Xanthro » 30 Jul 2003, 20:34

Man I wish I could read foreign language books as fast as you can. It takes me forever to finish any book not in English. You seem to be reading a new English book every other week.

Xanthro

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 30 Jul 2003, 20:59

Xanthro,

I try to read books in English to improve my grasp of the language and also I try to read books in the original language if possible, these days I rarely read any books in Swedish.

I plan to refresh my German and Spanish from school so I can read books in those languages too, I can mange shorter texts in German but a book would take me ages to read and there are so many books on WW2 that exist only in German.

/Marcus

Dan W.

Post by Dan W. » 30 Jul 2003, 22:12

This is an interesting book about what the South is like today. A well-written account on how some traditions still survive in the Deep South, and the writer is himself a former Pulitzer Prize winner so you know he can write.

Of course, you may have already read this book. If not you should.

Regards,
D.W.

ckleisch

Post by ckleisch » 31 Jul 2003, 08:46

Dan W. wrote:Image

This is an interesting book about what the South is like today. A well-written account on how some traditions still survive in the Deep South, and the writer is himself a former Pulitzer Prize winner so you know he can write.

Of course, you may have already read this book. If not you should.

Regards,
D.W.
As I sit here on my porch sippin my mint julip i scan across the fields at the mexicans pickin cotton I remember with fondness the good old days and traditions of the beloved South. The breeze blowin through the Stars and bars I remember the cotillion about to commence this weekend by the statute of Greatgrandfather down at the couthouse green. My what must he felt during the war of northern Aggression.
LOL the book recommended is an excellent piece of literature about Southern traditions and how they relate in todays PC world.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 31 Jul 2003, 17:42

Thanks Dan.

/Marcus

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 31 Jul 2003, 18:06

Marcus Wendel wrote:Xanthro,

I try to read books in English to improve my grasp of the language and also I try to read books in the original language if possible, these days I rarely read any books in Swedish.

I plan to refresh my German and Spanish from school so I can read books in those languages too, I can mange shorter texts in German but a book would take me ages to read and there are so many books on WW2 that exist only in German.

/Marcus
A great achievement, wish I would have taken more interest in languages when I was younger, German would have been a good one to know, considering my hobbies these days.

Durand

Post by Durand » 31 Jul 2003, 19:09

Hallo Marcus,

I have not read "Look Away!", but during my Civil War enthusiast days I read quite a number of William C. Davis' books including:

A Government of Our Own: The Making of the Confederacy;

Battle at Bull Run: A History of of the First Major Campaign of the Civil War;

Jefferson Davis: The Man and His Hour;

The Orphan Brigade: The Kentucky Confederates Who Couldn't Go Home;

Breckinridge: Statesman, Soldier, Symbol;

Three Roads to the Alamo: The Lives and Fortunes of David Crockett, James Bowie, and William Barret Travis.

I also have "An Honorable Defeat: The Last Days of the Confederate Government" on the shelf waiting to be read.

I think Davis' work is excellent. He is a solid researcher and is generally even-handed in his handling of issues. I also find his writing style to be engaging.

I would not hesitate to recommend any of his works, but there are some that I liked better than others: "Battle at Bull Run", "A Government of Our Own", and "Breckinridge." The least favorite was "Three Roads to the Alamo" -- I just do not care for books that are parallel biographies.

Regards,

Durand

Xanthro

Post by Xanthro » 31 Jul 2003, 20:38

Marcus Wendel wrote:Xanthro,

/Marcus
I can read German and Koine, but it takes forever. I finish a German book about once a year, it's so slow that it's hard to keep the information in sequence. Koine is usually letters and very short texts so that's a bit easier.

I used to read Russian, but slow doesn't even describe that now.

I have about 40 German books, I'll be dead before I finish them all at this rate. My reading rate just doesn't seem to be improving. SIGH.

Xanthro

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 06 Aug 2003, 03:53

Try "History of the Conferate States Navy" - J. Thomas Scharf

Beppo Schmidt

Post by Beppo Schmidt » 19 Aug 2003, 01:45

I try to read books in English to improve my grasp of the language
Marcus, you speak English very well.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 20 Aug 2003, 13:30

Beppo Schmidt wrote:
I try to read books in English to improve my grasp of the language
Marcus, you speak English very well.
Thanks.

/Marcus

pdhinkle36ID

CSA dixie land

Post by pdhinkle36ID » 22 Aug 2003, 02:30

What started the US civil war: The federal Gov,t was applying taxes to the southern states producers nboth ways In and Out of the south. Teh business backers of the federal gov,t made MOre money when the war started between the states.
Then it began a states rights issue, so Lincoln came up with freeing the slaves !
So now they are still arguing the facts of thr YS civil war

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » 31 Aug 2003, 07:50

I am currently reading a book about the naval history of the civil war called Divided Waters. It is quite an enjoyable book and gives a very fair account of naval affairs in both the North and the South.

chadwick

Psycho Mike

Post by Psycho Mike » 01 Sep 2003, 00:46

Hi Marcus! The only book I know of on the southern side still in print is THE SOUTH WAS RIGHT . You can order it here:
http://snurl.com/27dx

Also this site has 17 pages of excerpts.
Although the rhetoric is a bit much (the south is never going to leave the United States again) the basic facts are all there. Also the rhetoric is what many people believe to this day in the south.

The parts you would want to read are the ones dealing with the history and the facts of the war and reconstruction. From the Yankee lynchings in Missouri ( everytime a informer disappeared the Union army would randomly choose ten pro Southern OR 10 pro peace men and hang them! At the local fairgrounds!), to the mass rapes in Georgia - you will discover why it has taken so long for the south to recover.

And it is very hard to find the southern side in American bookstores today.

Return to “Other eras”