Post for Tolga - Ottoman Liquidation

Discussions on other historical eras.
cybercat

Post for Tolga - Ottoman Liquidation

Post by cybercat » 08 Sep 2003 17:23

Hi Tolga.

I've been studying the Ottoman conquest of the balkans and one thing puzzles me that I hope that you might have the answer to.

Why did the Ottomans liquidate the ruling Kotromanic dynasty in Bosnia?

I've studied Ottoman history (and from some Turkish historical sources) and it is a fact that the only time that the Ottoman empire liquidated ruling dynasties was in the conquests of Trebizond and Bosnia. This is mentioned but the reasons behind these actions still elude me as no reasons for the liquidations seem to be forthcoming.

What made the conquest of Bosnia different from the other conquests (apart from Trebizond) where the Porte felt it necessary to wipe out a ruling house.

I have several theories that I'm exploring but I would be interested to hear what you have to say on this matter.

Regards

Tolga Alkan
Financial supporter

Re: Post for Tolga - Ottoman Liquidation

Post by Tolga Alkan » 12 Sep 2003 11:19

cybercat wrote:Hi Tolga.

I've been studying the Ottoman conquest of the balkans and one thing puzzles me that I hope that you might have the answer to.

Why did the Ottomans liquidate the ruling Kotromanic dynasty in Bosnia?

I've studied Ottoman history (and from some Turkish historical sources) and it is a fact that the only time that the Ottoman empire liquidated ruling dynasties was in the conquests of Trebizond and Bosnia. This is mentioned but the reasons behind these actions still elude me as no reasons for the liquidations seem to be forthcoming.

What made the conquest of Bosnia different from the other conquests (apart from Trebizond) where the Porte felt it necessary to wipe out a ruling house.

I have several theories that I'm exploring but I would be interested to hear what you have to say on this matter.

Regards

At first i am sorry for delay to reply,i was off.There is a simple answer i can give you,Ottoman Empire performed one policy and mission in Balkans,it was the "do muslim" policy.Ottoman Empire growed muslim population in Bosnia and near.Some Turkish families sent to Bosnia from Anatolia.You can see still there are Turkish and muslim population are living in Bosnia,they are the remains of this mission.Ottoman Empire made numerous mosques and buildings of Turkish-Islamic culture.And did Ottoman Empire need to extra-control to Turkish-Islamic population?Balkan policy and mission was very important for Ottoman Empire because of conquest the Europe.I hope i exactly understand your question,if no please explain it in detail.I forgot some titles because of several years past i had studied Ottoman history.

Best Regards
Tolga

Return to “Other eras”