Discussions on other historical eras.
Psycho Mike

Happy Guy Fawkes Day!

Post by Psycho Mike » 05 Nov 2003, 21:37

Find out the history and more here:

http://www.bonefire.org/guy/

Lobscouse

Post by Lobscouse » 06 Nov 2003, 06:14

Traitor? All he wanted to do was blow up Parliament.

Anyone entertaining thoughts such as that cannot be all bad. :x

Grand Admiral

Post by Grand Admiral » 06 Nov 2003, 19:08

What the Catholic Plotters did not understand is that James VI and I was trying to get some of the anti-Catholic legislation overturned, in further pursuit of his predecessor Elizabeth I's extreme-tolerance policy.

If anything, the Puritans should have been the ones with Gunpowder and Treason (to paraphrase Lady Antonia Fraser). They were the ones who really got the shaft under King James. That is, of course, why they fled to "New England," running from the King who vowed he would "harry the likes of them out of [his] land."

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 06 Nov 2003, 19:13

is this holiday in england still "celebrated"? i saw a film once that showed children throwing fire crackers and it seemed like a kind of halloween.

Grand Admiral

Post by Grand Admiral » 06 Nov 2003, 19:29

joel pacheco wrote:is this holiday in england still "celebrated"? i saw a film once that showed children throwing fire crackers and it seemed like a kind of halloween.
Yea, that is how it's celebrated. Lots of pyrotechnics, sparklers, and pranks.

Interesting side note: the slang term "guy" for a male, comes from the name of Mr. Guy Fawkes.

Also, Dumbledore's phoenix in Harry Potter is named "Fawkes" for its brilliant display of pyrotechnic before it rejuvenates itself (it is a phoenix, after all).

Tim Smith

Post by Tim Smith » 06 Nov 2003, 20:33

On November 5th every year we English celebrate a failed terrorist plot by letting off explosives. The modern War on Terror notwithstanding!

Would we still celebrate November 5th if the plot had succeeded and King James and Parliament had been blown sky-high? I think not!

It's a funny old world!

Also, did you know that Guy Faulkes set up 36 barrels of gunpowder, much more than was required to destroy the Houses of Parliament? The huge explosion would have destroyed everything in a wide area, potentially killing many hundreds of people, and even Westminster Abbey would have been very heavily damaged?

The shock of such an explosion would have affected England even more than the September 11th attack did the United States.

See:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3240135.stm

Return to “Other eras”