Old Russian Calender

Discussions on other historical eras.
Lawrence

Old Russian Calender

Post by Lawrence » 18 Nov 2003, 22:09

Hello, often times, I've wondered exactly what is the differences between the Russian calender dates, i.e. November and October revolutions. When was did the October Revolution occur according to the rest of the world's calender, in November. Did the May Day celebration occur later in the month of May or was it held sometime in the Russian month of April? If someone could explain this differences between calenders, I would be most grateful. Regards!

Nina van M.

Post by Nina van M. » 19 Nov 2003, 01:23

Hey, Kingsley. Let me try to answer your question.
There are many different types of calendars, like Gregorian, Julian, Persian, Islamic, Hebrew... The use of calendar depends on culture or religion you belong. As you propably know, each culture or religion has different counting of years and days, but usually has the counting begon with important event for history of the nation, religion... such as for instance Jesus Christs birth, Mohammeds run from Mecca to Medinna and so on. Russians are in majority orthodox christians and as far as I know, orthodox church is still using Gregorian calendar. This is the real cause of messing up the revolutions "real date". A bit of history? When the great divide of Christian church happened, there was still one united Julian calendar. On 15.10.1582 catholic church started using the new, so called Gregorian calendar. And in this calendar they left out 10days. The day of 4.10.1582 was Friday and considering already Gregorian calendar, it was 15.10.1582 (Saturday). What is the difference between G. and J. calendar? In G.cal. are only those leap years from which numbers can be divided to 400. So, the year 1600 and 2000 were leap, but 1700, 1800...werent. The difference between Gregorian and Julian day-counting is increasing for one day on every 100 years on all those years who cant be divided by 400 without leftover. Gregorian calendar was immediately accepted in Poland, Italy, Spain and Portugal, then France followed by the end of the year 1582. UK and her colonies, including United States have accepted it only in year 1752, so they had to add up one more day of difference. Julian calendar was "made" in year 46 B.C. and ia named by Julius Caesar. Thats really on short.
Now is the difference between calendars 13days but in the year 2100 will be 14... and so on...
Hope I didnt explain it to you in too complicated way.

Greeting to U, von Kluge

nublu

Post by nublu » 19 Nov 2003, 12:07

When was did the October Revolution occur according to the rest of the world's calender, in November.
October revolution was according to Gregorian calender on 7th and 8th November.

Among first laws what Lenin issued was also adoption of Gregorian calender. And since it all the dates are same. Old calender is used only by church nowadays...

rgrds

Toomas

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » 23 Nov 2003, 18:01

Thanks for the information both of you. So the October revolution and May Day were celebrated on the Georgian calender dates along with the rest of the world. Again, thanks a lot!

Return to “Other eras”