British Grenadier Requirements

Discussions on other historical eras.
T.R.Searle

British Grenadier Requirements

Post by T.R.Searle » 21 Aug 2002 01:38

As I have read before I do believe the British Grenadiers or Coldstream Guards I'v heard them called both unless there totaly different forces but didnt they have specific requirements...sortof the Elite force of the British Army back in the 17-18th centeries.

T.R.Searle :)

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 21 Aug 2002 21:20

The Coldstream Guards and the Grenadier Guards are different regiments with the former being the older but the Grenadier considered the senior. On there red tunics Coldstream Guards have there tunic buttons in groups of 2, whilst Grenadiers are singular. Scots Guards have groups of 3, Welsh Guards in 4's and finally the Irish Guards in groups of 5.

:D Andy from the Shire (Served briefly within Queens Company 1Btn Grenadier Guards-Height requirement of over 6'2")

Lord Gort

Post by Lord Gort » 21 Aug 2002 22:19

Perhaps I can be of service here, (at last something i have Knowledge on) :D .

The reason why one is senior etc is because the Cold Stream guards were formed when The King returning with his royal Bodyguard from exile in France (Charles II) crossed Cold Stream in Scotland he formed the Royal regiment around his Bodyguard. However the Grenadiers were from the new Model army of Cromwell and the commonwealth, although the Royal bodyguards were older they werent a real regiment until after the grenadiers were formed.

T.R.Searle

Post by T.R.Searle » 22 Aug 2002 01:27

Thanx for all the information I was looking for the combatant troops that would sortof be the "Waffen SS" or "Elite Troops" of the British army back in the 17-1800's here is a picture of what I think the Grenadiers are,correct me if i'm wrong i'm trying to learn more on them.

Lord Gort

Post by Lord Gort » 22 Aug 2002 22:45

Although as a Briton i hate the film the Patriot fopr its inaccuracy i do like the bit in the film where the British Grenadiers Marching song (called strangley enough the British grenadiers) is played as the red coats go on to crush the Yankee Rebels!

YOU WILL REJOIN THE MOTHER COUNTRY!

DONT POSTPONE THE INEVITABLE.

:D :D :D

T.R.Searle

Post by T.R.Searle » 22 Aug 2002 23:34

Yes when I was young and stupid and believed what happend in war movies was always true "say 3 years ago" I bought it and now its the most unrealistic movie ever,although I watch it now and again. The only realistic part was the uniforms,the fact that there were militia and the battle of Camden(where they were playing "British Grenadiers" a lovely song but cant find it with the fife and drum,only some orchestra :cry: )

And the ending battle "Cow Pens" was the biggest pile of BullS*** :x

T.R.Searle

Post by T.R.Searle » 22 Aug 2002 23:37

Cheshire Yeomanry wrote:The Coldstream Guards and the Grenadier Guards are different regiments with the former being the older but the Grenadier considered the senior. On there red tunics Coldstream Guards have there tunic buttons in groups of 2, whilst Grenadiers are singular. Scots Guards have groups of 3, Welsh Guards in 4's and finally the Irish Guards in groups of 5.

:D Andy from the Shire (Served briefly within Queens Company 1Btn Grenadier Guards-Height requirement of over 6'2")

6'2!!! 8O thats quite the hight (hopefully when i'm finnished growing i'l be over that,i'm allready 5'11)

The Waffen SS I do believe was 5'9

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 24 Aug 2002 12:26

Well I had several inches to spare being just under 6'6" myself, though age will crumble me somewhat in years to come.

:D A still tall Cheshireman.

Return to “Other eras”