Kingdom of Poland and the Russian Empire

Discussions on other historical eras.
sylvieK4

Kingdom of Poland and the Russian Empire

Post by sylvieK4 » 30 Aug 2002, 23:13

What was the relationship between the Kingdom of Poland, established by the Congress of Vienna, and the Russian Empire?

Did Russia garrison troops inside the Kingdom of Poland? How much control over the Kingdom did Russia exercise? What form did this control take? I have often read that Russia "allowed" the Kingdom of Poland a certain amount of "autonomy", but I haven't seen anything that really describes how much. What controls did Imperial Russia have over the Kingdom of Poland. Economic? Foreign policy, etc.?

Can anyone give a concise explanation of the relationship between Imperial Russia and the Kingdom of Poland from 1815 until the First World War?

Thanks.

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 02 Sep 2002, 09:19

Eventually the Kingdom of Poland was carved up by Prussia, Austria-Hungary and Russia, I'll have to pass on the date for this though.

Gwynn

tyskaorden

Post by tyskaorden » 09 Sep 2002, 18:19

The Kingdom of Poland or Congress-Poland which was created by the Vienna Congress was a personal union between Poland and Russia with the Russian Czar as King. The Kingdom was at first allowed an own army, but after the Polish upprisings in the 1840ies and 1860ies this army was disbanded and a strong Russian Army garrisoned the country. The little autonomy the Kingdom had was abolished and Poland was fully incorporated into the Russian Empire.

Prior to World War One the VI, XIV, XV Army Corps of the Russian Army had their HQs in the Polish capital Warszawa.

A curious notion is that the future Marshal of Finland Mannerheim which at this time was a officier in the Russian Army, prior to WW 1 commanded a Cavalry Brigade in Poland.

Best regards,
Marcus Karlsson

jacek staniszewski

Re: Kingdom of Poland and the Russian Empire

Post by jacek staniszewski » 18 Sep 2002, 15:43

sylvieK4 wrote:What was the relationship between the Kingdom of Poland, established by the Congress of Vienna, and the Russian Empire?

Did Russia garrison troops inside the Kingdom of Poland? How much control over the Kingdom did Russia exercise? What form did this control take? I have often read that Russia "allowed" the Kingdom of Poland a certain amount of "autonomy", but I haven't seen anything that really describes how much. What controls did Imperial Russia have over the Kingdom of Poland. Economic? Foreign policy, etc.?

Can anyone give a concise explanation of the relationship between Imperial Russia and the Kingdom of Poland from 1815 until the First World War?

Thanks.
hey Sylvie:::

1815-1914 is a century no more nor less (well a bit actually::>)
I'll try to come up with some details soon - the problem is the period in question covers the reign of several Russian tzars - their approach to the supposed autonomy of the Kingdom of Poland was varied - from moderation and indifference to full-on hostility.
Remember: during the period there were no less than TWO major country wide insurgencies against the Russian rule - in 1830 (so called November Uprising) and 1863 (January uprising). The problem is really far-reaching and has lots of economic and political nuances. As I said, now I just found your post by pure accident but promise to come up with some worthwhile links and/or references.

best regards

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 20 Sep 2002, 01:06

Sylvie,

The 19 th century Kindgdom of Poland was established according to resolutions of the congress in Vienna in 1815 and thus it was often referred to as "Congress Poland". This state was initially in personal union with Russia, but later, after anti-Russians uprising lost by the Poles, it's autonomy was gradually reduced. The territory of Congress Poland included areas wich during the partitions of Poland were initially annexed by Prussia and Austria but then, due to the result of the Napoleonic Wars, were taken over by Russia. Those included mostly the historical region of Masovia, now Galicia and certains regions of historical Lithuania.

In 1875 the Tzar abolished Bysantine Catholicism and the faithful were forced to convert to Eastern orthodox religion.

Witaj Jacku!

Jak ci sie mieszka i zyje w Warszawie?

Do uslyszenia.

jacek staniszewski

Post by jacek staniszewski » 05 Oct 2002, 18:07

Benoit Douville wrote: Witaj Jacku!
Jak ci sie mieszka i zyje w Warszawie?

Do uslyszenia.
czesc:: :>>
dopiero teraz dogrzebalem sie do tego watku...w Warszawie
wszystko w porzadku, ale dzis szaro i pada. a szkoda bo
sobota i mialem pojechac do lasu