Czechoslovakia's post-war AFVs

Discussions on other historical eras.
Petrus

Czechoslovakia's post-war AFVs

Post by Petrus » 24 May 2005, 14:32

You may find it interesting that in the 1950s Czechoslovakia developed some armoured cars, which however never got adopted by its (and any) army. Here you've got some info about prototypes that were built using the chassis of the Tatra 805 truck (all info and pictures below come from http://www.volny.cz/t805/t805_oa8.htm):

This particular model designated as the OA-82 and code-named Jarmila (this is a female name in the Czech language I suppose) was built in the 1950s (the English version of the webpage says in 1959). The manufacturer's designation was Skoda 971 since the vehicle was assembled by the Skoda's plant in Mlada Boleslav. It was based on a modified Tatra 805's chassis with the engine placed in the rear of the vehicle. Probably the armoured car must have been a little bit shorter than the Tatra 805 as its wheelbase was only 2400 mm while that of the truck was 2700 mm. Tread was the same as the truck's: 1600 mm. The vehicle weighted 4026 kg and was crewed by three men. There is no info on its armament, but - this is my opinion - possibly it was to be armed with a machine gun in the turret. As you can see there is a slot in the turret's front that is quite narrow so I don't think they wanted to put an automatic cannon (or a 14.5 mm heavy MG) there.

Another version designated Tatra 811 was built on an un-modified Tatra 805's chassis. Thus the vehicle had dimensions etc. identical to those of the truck. It weighted 4944 kg (how did they measured this?) and had four-man crew. Basic variant had no armament (I suppose it was intended as a scouts carrier). There was a derivatice armed with twin 82 mm recoilless guns. Altogether fifteen examples were built.

At least one of them has survived as may be seen at http://www.volny.cz/t805/novinky.htm where it is said that "Tatra 80 OA 82 (obrněný automobil) je znovu na kolech" i.e. the Tatra 80 (apparently they have lost "5" somewhere) OA 82 armoured car is on its wheels again. Here are pictures showing that:

Interesting, isn't it?

Do the members of this forum know more about the AFVs development in Czechoslovakia in the post-war period? As I have heard the country worked not only on armoured cars (or scout car if you use British nomenclature) but also on tanks and self-propelled or assault guns.

Best regards,
Piotr

Pavel Novak

Re: Czechoslovakia's post-war AFVs

Post by Pavel Novak » 25 May 2005, 19:34

Petrus wrote: Do the members of this forum know more about the AFVs development in Czechoslovakia in the post-war period? As I have heard the country worked not only on armoured cars (or scout car if you use British nomenclature) but also on tanks and self-propelled or assault guns.
Some short list which I have in my head (AFVs in service):
M53/59 Jesterka self-propelled AA gun (2x30mm)
M77 Dana SP-artillery 152mm
OT-64 APC (with Poland)

+ many modifications of foreign AFVs:
T-54/55 variants, OT-810, OT-62, OT-65, BPzV Svatava, OT-90

Petrus

Post by Petrus » 30 May 2005, 10:54

Well, apparently I have not explainded what I really meant.
Saying 'the post-war period' I thought about the late 1940s and the 1950s, which had followed directly the second world war. And so my question was about the Czechoslovak AFVs that were being designed and built in that particular period, when Czechoslovakia tried to develop many types of indigenous military equipment. Some saw service with the country's army and were delivered elsewhere (e.g. 82-mm 'Tarasnice' recoilless gun, rifles and machine guns), but more never got beyond the prototype stage. And I find these the most interesting.

Regards,
Piotr

PS. Do we have members from what was then Czechoslovakia? Hopefully they can help in a way.

Return to “Other eras”