Post by Tolga Alkan » 25 Sep 2005, 15:41

One more...
Attachments
Korede_Karargah.jpg
Turkish HQ.Note to the Greywolfs.
Korede_Karargah.jpg (27.77 KiB) Viewed 3313 times

Evzonas

Post by Evzonas » 26 Sep 2005, 07:53

Korean War was the one and only case in History that Greeks and Turkish fought a war on the same side... !
Only, they were distributed in far appart locations so that no incident occurs..

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 26 Sep 2005, 10:54

Evzonas wrote:Korean War was the one and only case in History that Greeks and Turkish fought a war on the same side... !
Only, they were distributed in far appart locations so that no incident occurs..
I don't think they were fighting far apart. They were fighting in nearby areas, in the Kyonggi province. I remember. But, if they encountered each other in Korea, no clashes could have happened at all between them.

* A story of a Greek Korean War Veteran who visited Korea(in Korean)
http://blog.naver.com/suwon0505/14487056

Evzonas

Post by Evzonas » 26 Sep 2005, 11:36

By far appart, I mean "not in cooperation" ... I am sure if the situations demanded, they would save eachothers @ss but the political issues back home would prohibit an open cooperation of the two detachements.

Killchola, could you provide an english translation of the article you show us?
In Greece, it is VERY hard to find any such information... some idiots make sure that we forget our history!

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 26 Sep 2005, 15:02

Evzonas wrote:Killchola, could you provide an english translation of the article you show us?
In Greece, it is VERY hard to find any such information... some idiots make sure that we forget our history!
Evzonas, I posted my translation of the above article in a new post because it is another topic. συγγνώμη!

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 110#773110

Jason Frank

Post by Jason Frank » 27 Sep 2005, 22:59

i found an interesting link to a site about Turkish involvement in the Korean war, its a very interesting read http://www.korean-war.com/turkey.html

Mehmet Fatih

Post by Mehmet Fatih » 11 Oct 2005, 16:16

Jason Frank wrote:i found an interesting link to a site about Turkish involvement in the Korean war, its a very interesting read http://www.korean-war.com/turkey.html
It is a great site.
Especially the quotes about the Turkish soldiers are really great.
Regards

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 31 Oct 2005, 10:43

Turks were famous for being good at hand to hand fighting.

I think the reason why they were good at that kind of battle was their experience accumulated in innumerable battles since the era of Seljuk Turkey.

mars

Post by mars » 31 Oct 2005, 19:10

killchola wrote:Turks were famous for being good at hand to hand fighting.

I think the reason why they were good at that kind of battle was their experience accumulated in innumerable battles since the era of Seljuk Turkey.
I may wrong, but Seljuk Turkish soldiers were famous of their archery, not their hand-to-hand battle, that was even their weak point.

Mehmet Fatih

Post by Mehmet Fatih » 02 Nov 2005, 14:44

They were good archers but also good swordsmen.
During Seljuk era and Ottoman era, swords were made for their masters.When somebody tried to use a sword of other's, the sword is generally broke apart.

Anyway, in the time of rifle bayonets, the Turks fought well during hand to hand combat.In WW1 and in Korean war, this can be easily seen.

Regards

mars

Post by mars » 02 Nov 2005, 23:24

waffen_für _alle wrote:They were good archers but also good swordsmen.
During Seljuk era and Ottoman era, swords were made for their masters.When somebody tried to use a sword of other's, the sword is generally broke apart.

Anyway, in the time of rifle bayonets, the Turks fought well during hand to hand combat.In WW1 and in Korean war, this can be easily seen.

Regards
Again, I may wrong, but was Seljuk era and Ottoman era hundres years apart ? and was Seljuk Turks became a good swords men only after they became more Arablized ?
swords were made for their masters.When somebody tried to use a sword of other's, the sword is generally broke apart.
That is very very interesting

Mehmet Fatih

Post by Mehmet Fatih » 03 Nov 2005, 15:29

mars wrote:Again, I may wrong, but was Seljuk era and Ottoman era hundres years apart ? and was Seljuk Turks became a good swords men only after they became more Arablized ?
Yes, there is about 140 years between the collapse of Sejukian Empire and the founding of Ottoman empire by Osman Bey.But Osmanogullarý Beyligi(District of Osmanogullarý) was a state of Seljukian Empire.Like all other states of the empire, they declared independence after the collapse of the Seljukian Empire.I mean Ottoman and Seljukian empire armies are no different.They continued the Turkic-Islamic army tradition.This army tradition was adopted from the Arabs and mixed with the central asian Turkish art of war.They became good swordsmen after meeting the Arabic culture.So you are right.

But Turks were never Arabilized.They spoke Arabic,Persian languages in the palace of Sultan.Arabic and Persian were the language of Turkish aristocrat society.But the peasants always spoke Turkish and they didnt know any other languages.The army was cosisted of peasants and officers were drafted from peasants.So the army always spoke Turkish and remained Turkish. After meeting the religion of islam, the Turks adopted arabic names at first and they learned arabic.But this was all about religion and it all changed in a couple of centuries.But they always had great respect for arabs.Even until the WW1 Hijaz region was exempted of conscription.

Regards

Kim Sung

Photos of Turkish Korean War Veterans

Post by Kim Sung » 04 Feb 2006, 08:01

Mehmet Fatih

Post by Mehmet Fatih » 08 Feb 2006, 09:30

Thanks for the photos.
Kayseri!!! That is my hometown!!
Ahmet Ferah? Although I visited Kayseri Veteran's House every year, never heard of him. There are amny alive Korean war vets in Kayseri. Why did they especially visited him?

Regards
Fatih

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 08 Feb 2006, 11:09

Is this your hometown? I passed near Kayseri when I visited Turkey on February 2002.

Fifteen Turkish veterans(Kore Gazisi in Turkish) including Mr. Ferah visited Korea during 2002 Korea Japan Worldcup. In reward for this, three students of Korea University of Foreign Studies(한국 외국어 대학교) who were making a documentary on the Turkish Korean War veterans visited Turkey last year. This university located 300m from my home.

They met only thirteen out of 15 veterans because of limited time. Mr. Ferah was one of them.

More links on Turkish Korean war veterans

Families of the Turkish Soldiers killed in the Korean War visits Korea

An Old Turkish Korean War Veteran who is working in a quay on the Strait of Bosphorus

Return to “Other eras”