Russian POWs and VT-line construction

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
farmer
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: 05 Nov 2016 08:36
Location: St.Petersburg, Russia

Re: Russian POWs and VT-line construction

Postby farmer » 01 Apr 2017 08:54

Lotvonen wrote:The Li-2 belly landed on a swamp 25km E of Mustamäki railway station. Two pilots had been killed in the crash but as many as 14 prisoners were taken. The imprisoned airmen were taken to Viipuri the next day to be interrogated..


Thank you, Lotvonen for your english translation of C.F.Geust text. It's much easier to me to read it in english :D
Also I would take the additional opportunity to give my gratitude to C.F.Geust who already helped me in work on my first book about Contuniation War. I appreciate his valuable professional help!

Concerning quoted text I think "25km" looks like a mistake on three reasons:
- it's useless to mention so long distance from so small object (nearest ones would be Karvala or Kivennapa then);
- Suulajärvi airfield located much closer to Mustamäki;
- constructors of Lin.RP SAK 5 would never mention it in their WD if they have not seen the event theirself.

So I guess the plane could fall down on Miekkasuo swamp (3km to Kuuterselkä, about 5km to Mustamäki).

BR
Farmer

Mangrove
Member
Posts: 1668
Joined: 25 Dec 2004 01:33

Re: Russian POWs and VT-line construction

Postby Mangrove » 01 Apr 2017 16:34

farmer wrote:So I guess the plane could fall down on Miekkasuo swamp (3km to Kuuterselkä, about 5km to Mustamäki).


According to the diary of Kannaksen ryhmä, the plane fell to unnamed swamp near Kuuterselkä around 12.35 p.m. The flight path was as follows: Northeast - Perämäki - Lempäälänjärvi - Sutela - West - Suulajärvi - South - Raivola - Kuuterselkä.

farmer
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: 05 Nov 2016 08:36
Location: St.Petersburg, Russia

Re: Russian POWs and VT-line construction

Postby farmer » 01 Apr 2017 17:05

Mangrove wrote:According to the diary of Kannaksen ryhmä, the plane fell to unnamed swamp near Kuuterselkä around 12.35 p.m. The flight path was as follows: Northeast - Perämäki - Lempäälänjärvi - Sutela - West - Suulajärvi - South - Raivola - Kuuterselkä.


Thank you Mangrove! Your info is interesting as always. Also according to the diary of II/14.It.Ptri and 14.It.Ptri the plane fell down somewhere on the swamp 6-7 km to the north of II Jaos position (1km to northeast of Raivola railway station). Comparing everything together I think it is in the middle of Miekkasuo.

By the way, there are some documents mentioned as annexes to diaries of AA units where their location (and possibly location of the plane crash) may be found. Unfortunately I did not find them digitized. Have you seen anything like that?

BR
Farmer

Mangrove
Member
Posts: 1668
Joined: 25 Dec 2004 01:33

Re: Russian POWs and VT-line construction

Postby Mangrove » 01 Apr 2017 17:55

farmer wrote:By the way, there are some documents mentioned as annexes to diaries of AA units where their location (and possibly location of the plane crash) may be found. Unfortunately I did not find them digitized. Have you seen anything like that?


The archives of Kenttälentovarikko 1 (literally "Field Aviation Depot 1") should contain an "evacuation" report (possibly T-14290/10 or T-14291/5) that describes in detail the location of the plane and what parts were salvaged from the crash site.

farmer
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: 05 Nov 2016 08:36
Location: St.Petersburg, Russia

Re: Russian POWs and VT-line construction

Postby farmer » 02 Apr 2017 14:02

Mangrove wrote:The archives of Kenttälentovarikko 1 (literally "Field Aviation Depot 1") should contain an "evacuation" report (possibly T-14290/10 or T-14291/5) that describes in detail the location of the plane and what parts were salvaged from the crash site.


Thank you very much, Mangrove!
I will try to ask somebody of my friends who may a possibility to work in Helsinki archive to find those materials.
BR,
Farmer

farmer
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: 05 Nov 2016 08:36
Location: St.Petersburg, Russia

Re: Russian POWs and VT-line construction

Postby farmer » 07 Aug 2017 17:22

Hello everybody!

I proceed working on the next part of my book about Continuation war (June 1944) and very interested in any additional info concerning Rv.Pr. I studied "Suomen ratsuväen historia II osa" and Rv.Pr. war diaries but could not find a name and a rank of Tyk.Esk/Rv.Pr commander on 11-15.6.1944. May be somebody may help me?
Also I can not understand, how many guns Tyk.Esk had. According war diaries there were 6 50-mm AT-guns and 2 37-mm ones. But if we look at schemes, we may see 8 AT-guns and 2 Regiment guns in HRR sector and 4 AT-guns in URR sector. Does anybody have any idea about that?

Thanks in advance!

Mangrove
Member
Posts: 1668
Joined: 25 Dec 2004 01:33

Re: Russian POWs and VT-line construction

Postby Mangrove » 12 Aug 2017 10:42

farmer wrote:I studied "Suomen ratsuväen historia II osa" and Rv.Pr. war diaries but could not find a name and a rank of Tyk.Esk/Rv.Pr commander on 11-15.6.1944. May be somebody may help me?


The CO of Tyk.Esk/Rv.Pr was mentioned to have been ratsumestari K. Markkanen on 31 December 1943 and also on 21 June 1944. This would suggest he was also the CO between 11 and 15 June 1944.

farmer
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: 05 Nov 2016 08:36
Location: St.Petersburg, Russia

Re: Russian POWs and VT-line construction

Postby farmer » 13 Aug 2017 15:34

Hello, Mangrove!

Thank you very much for your useful reply! I guess that Markkonen would be a right person.
I continue my investigation further.....

Best Regardas,
Farmer


Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Trendiction [Bot]