Can you live in a lake and what the hell is Maisniemi?

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
littleboytruth

Can you live in a lake and what the hell is Maisniemi?

Post by littleboytruth » 18 Jul 2013, 15:21

I have read about a place called Maisniemi during the Winter War. As far as I can make out it is a peninsular in a lake called Suulajarvi, where the Finnish army held a position. However, that sounds strange to me. A peninsular is not a good place to be if someone attacks you. Russians would do such a thing, Finns not.

Some other source said there was an airfield there, but that may have been during the Continuous War only. Again, I find it strange that someone would put an airfield on a peninsular.

So perhaps Maisniemi is the name of a village near the peninsular of the same name? That seems to happen a lot in Finland, villages and lakes and peninsulars and whatnot having the same name. Perhaps in order to confuse the Russians, like you tell them to go to this village and instead they walk straight into a lake and they all drown. Or perhaps there is a lack of words in Finnish so you have to reuse them for completely different things. Where I live we don't call the villages lakes, which is a habit I would recommend. To confuse others so they think you live in a lake is kind for weird if anyone asks me, unless of course you are the Lady in the Lake herself.

To cut a long story short, can someone please tell me where and what is Maisniemi?

Mangrove

Re: Can you live in a lake and what the hell is Maisniemi?

Post by Mangrove » 18 Jul 2013, 22:45

littleboytruth wrote:I have read about a place called Maisniemi during the Winter War. As far as I can make out it is a peninsular in a lake called Suulajarvi, where the Finnish army held a position.
Maisniemi is a peninsula on the western shore of the Lake Suulajärvi in the Karelian Isthmus. It is also a manor close to the peninsula.
littleboytruth wrote:Some other source said there was an airfield there, but that may have been during the Continuous War only. Again, I find it strange that someone would put an airfield on a peninsular.
Suulajärvi aerodrome is located at a place called "Maatlammen kangas" north of the Lake Suulajärvi. However, to the best of my knowledge, it was build by the Soviets after the Winter War in the summer of 1940.

kuuskajaskari

Re: Can you live in a lake and what the hell is Maisniemi?

Post by kuuskajaskari » 24 Jun 2018, 08:14

Return to Suulajärvi.
LeLv24 base, whether there is a map where to display the base site buildings.
Likewise, there was a Kannas Group's Headquarters, whether there was a map where the headquarters and Kenrl Öhquist's apartment was located.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”