Finnish division and brigade table strengths 1944

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Mikko H.

Finnish division and brigade table strengths 1944

Post by Mikko H. » 14 Sep 2019, 16:15

Can anyone point me to a source that gives the table strengths of Finnish division (with two infantry regiments) and brigade in 1944?

JTV's marvellous Jaeger Platoon site gives the TO&E, but not strengths https://www.jaegerplatoon.net/FORMATIONS3.htm

I'm looking for data how many men, rifles, SMGs, artillery pieces etc. a full-strength division and brigade was supposed to have.

And if someone could additionally point me to a source that gives the actual strengths of the Finnish divisions and brigades in Karelian Isthmus in the eve of the Soviet offensive in June 1944, I would be even more grateful!

Art
Forum Staff

Re: Finnish division and brigade table strengths 1944

Post by Art » 14 Sep 2019, 23:57

There are many tables in online Finnish archive, but they are somewhat contradicting in details. In particular, it seems that establishment of anti-tank companies and artillery battalions tended to depend on the type of their weapons. See the attachments, I'm hardly able to remember their exact location in online docs. From my count authorized strength of the infantry division without attached units was 13+ thousand men, of the infantry brigade - about 6300.
Attachments
III AK BChS 5Jul44_4.jpg
III AK BChS 5Jul44_3.jpg
III AK BChS 5Jul44_2.jpg
18 D strength 15.7.44_2.jpg
18 D strength 15.7.44.jpg
18 ID weapons 8.7.44.jpg

Mikko H.

Post by Mikko H. » 15 Sep 2019, 11:41

Thanks!

I tried looking for digitized files in the National Archives online service, but I haven't been able to access it during the last couple of days.

alpinoinMT

Post by alpinoinMT » 16 Sep 2019, 19:28

Looks like I am in for a little translation - should be fun!
Kiitos Thanks
a reporter once asked me, after an awards ceremony
"are purple hearts for soldiers & bronze stars for officers?'

Mikko H.

Post by Mikko H. » 18 Sep 2019, 19:43

Found the table strengths in one place I should have thought of checking before: Matti Koskimaa's Veitsen terällä.

Will start looking for actual strengths in the digitized archives unless someone has other suggestions.

tramonte

Post by tramonte » 02 Feb 2020, 18:35

There are several bit surprising things of those strengths.

1) I always have believed that Finnish infantry battalions didn't have likely 4th rifle platoons in each rifle company. But when not only table strengths were indeed 1,022 men but real strengths near a thousand there must have been that 4th platoon. Anyway actual strengths even after fierce battles where surprisingly near 1,000.

2) dysentery epidemic so often claimed to have been huge problem both for troops of Leningrad Front and Finnish units seems not to have been big issue in late June and mid July 1944 at least for Finns.

3) Take a look at 18.D and its regiments (JR 6 especially) having just 50-70% of their riffles, submachine guns, light machine guns. There has been something very strange things with that weapon inventory. Not much credibility on it.

4) I bet 2.D after bloody days of 10th June and Siiranmäki (14 -16 June) would have seriously lacked men. However they (JR 7 and JR 49) had in 30th June actually more men than their official table strength (3,610). It seems to be they have tanked up combat units before inevitable even more bloody combat in Äyräpää-Vuosalmi (as it did happen).
"Military history is nothing but a tissue of fictions and legends, only a form of literary invention; reality counts for very little in such affair."

- Gaston de Pawlowski, Dans les rides du front

tramonte

Post by tramonte » 02 Feb 2020, 19:22

Art wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 23:57
There are many tables in online Finnish archive, but they are somewhat contradicting in details. In particular, it seems that establishment of anti-tank companies and artillery battalions tended to depend on the type of their weapons. See the attachments, I'm hardly able to remember their exact location in online docs. From my count authorized strength of the infantry division without attached units was 13+ thousand men, of the infantry brigade - about 6300.
It's logical to have different strength with AT-company(Tyk.K) having 75 mm guns than that of having 45 mm and especially 37 mm.

What really puzzles me is the real table strength of infantry battalion of 1,022 men (as almost all inf battalion did have in 1944, not sure about Jäger and Border Jäger battalions) because as i have so long believed most of riffle companies has just 3 riffle platoons. However having 3 platoons of each company hardly gives you commander chance to reach table strength to 1,022. In fact it's about 120 lower, somewhere near 900. So was the real strength even in trench warfare period been much more than 900?
"Military history is nothing but a tissue of fictions and legends, only a form of literary invention; reality counts for very little in such affair."

Harri

Post by Harri » 22 Mar 2020, 18:02

The book strength of the divisional infantry battalion was 894 men in 1944. Separate Battalions as well as battalions of Infantry Brigades were slightly larger (1022 men). Fourth platoons of divisional infantry battalions were suspended already around late August and early September 1941.

In 1943 - 1944 Border Guard Jäger Battalion had 1144 men.

tramonte

Post by tramonte » 30 Sep 2020, 19:04

Well those table strengths of infantry battalions like in 19th Brigade or 15th Division were actually near 1,022. Some even stronger. And when it comes to regiments 2th Division (JR 7 and JR 49) in 5 July had about 3,950. The actual strength (men in duties) were of course far more lower when hundreds or soldiers were in hospitals and tens of men deserting.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”