Canoe raid to the Murmansk railway, August 1942

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
jmark

Canoe raid to the Murmansk railway, August 1942

Post by jmark » 31 Jul 2020, 04:27

Hi guys,

I'm currently researching the combined German-Finnish long-range canoe patrol to interrupt the Murmansk railway in August 1942. The bulk of the group consisted of Brandenburgers, Finnish volunteers from SS-Wiking and Finnish Army soldiers from Detachment Paatsalo.

Finnish sources state the operation began in late July and continued until the end of August, while other sources – mainly German – give the dates as 3-16 August. From what I have found so far, the Finnish sources seem to be the most accurate. One way to resolve this is to check the war diary of 20.Geb.Armee, however, they are not currently available to me (NARA is still closed and while BA-MA is open, I'd either have to pay a lot of $$$ for a professional researcher to go through the diaries or wait until a friend/colleague visits). I'm therefore hoping someone here has the war diaries and annexes.

Thanks in advance!
Jason Mark

jmark

Re: Canoe raid to the Murmansk railway, August 1942

Post by jmark » 31 Jul 2020, 07:49

Thanks Juha. I'd already read both threads before I posted my question; some nice info in them. My main goal is to pin down the timing of the operation using contemporary sources, such as the diaries of 20.Geb.Armee. It is amazing how inaccurately represented this operation is in many books
All the best,
Jason

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Re: Canoe raid to the Murmansk railway, August 1942

Post by Juha Tompuri » 31 Jul 2020, 11:26

Hi!

SA-photos 110157-110159 might have something to do with the raid:

http://sa-kuva.fi/neo?tem=webneoeng

http://cassiodor.com/Artikel/6707.aspx

Regards, Juha
Last edited by Juha Tompuri on 31 Jul 2020, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo correcting

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”