A couple of questions about Kaarnajoki battery

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Eugenius

A couple of questions about Kaarnajoki battery

Post by Eugenius » 17 Apr 2021, 17:20

Terve guys. Hope you are doing well ans stay healthy. I think Kaarnajoki battery is well-known, but 2 questions arose before our next trip there:

There are steel tubes of ca. 70 - 80 cm high installed right in the centre of each gun basement - what those tubes are for? First idea: electric and communication lines for the gun. Another idea - compressed air for barrel blowdown after shot, but was this technique used by the Finns at that time?

DSCF9696.JPG
DSCF9715.JPG
DSCF9737.JPG

Another question arose concerning quite unusual red-brown colour used for painting the gunpits. Was it traditional Finnish Keittomaali to prevent mold formation on the walls due to high humidity or to remind Finnish artillerymen their homes? Another idea is this colour somehow reduced battery's visibility from the air, but why some inner rooms like corridors are also painted (but some others are not)?

DSCF9718.JPG
DSCF9714.JPG

I would be thankful if your share your ideas.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Re: A couple of questions about Kaarnajoki battery

Post by Juha Tompuri » 25 Apr 2021, 21:44

Eugenius wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 17:20
Terve guys. Hope you are doing well ans stay healthy. I think Kaarnajoki battery is well-known, but 2 questions arose before our next trip there:

There are steel tubes of ca. 70 - 80 cm high installed right in the centre of each gun basement - what those tubes are for? First idea: electric and communication lines for the gun. Another idea - compressed air for barrel blowdown after shot, but was this technique used by the Finns at that time?
Hi!
Heathly, at least by so far.
Thanks for sharing the photos.
I think your first idea might the correct one.

Another question arose concerning quite unusual red-brown colour used for painting the gunpits. Was it traditional Finnish Keittomaali to prevent mold formation on the walls due to high humidity or to remind Finnish artillerymen their homes? Another idea is this colour somehow reduced battery's visibility from the air, but why some inner rooms like corridors are also painted (but some others are not)?
I must say, that I haven't seen such painting at the gunpits I've visited.

Regards, Juha

ML

Post by ML » 01 May 2021, 21:20

I checked my photos of some empty Canet positions. There are remains of such pipes/tubes inside bolt circles also at Ulko-Tammio and Sarsuinmäki. So, at least positions built during interim peace and Continuation war have them. I don't know the purpose of pipes.

Ulko-Tammio.JPG
Canet position at Ulko-Tammio
Sarsuinmaki.JPG
Canet position at Sarsuinmäki, Sulkava

Image at http://slnres.net/media/tykkiprojekti009.jpg shows Canet position at Tanhuvaara, Savonlinna, which also has a tube.

SA-kuva 106255 shows empty position at Kaarnajoki in August 1942, but not the gun base.
Sa-kuva_106255_Kaarnajoki_1024.jpg
Kaarnajoki Canet position in August 1942

Old Russian drawing of flat Canet base doesn't have such a tube: http://digi.narc.fi/digi/view.ka?kuid=18737419
Canet-ty_1_1024.jpg

Eugenius

Post by Eugenius » 03 May 2021, 17:07

Many thanks to everyone for the comments. It's strange, but I did not get notifications on new posts in this topic.

I checked my files and found the same pipes in the gun basement of Finnish 6 in gun on Gogland (Suursaari):

DSCF1644.JPG

DSCF1645.JPG

As far as I may say, Russian and Soviet Canet had no such pipes in basements. So it looks to be a kind of Finnish modernization.

Concerning red paint - just yesterday I saw definitely Finnish object of unknown purpose with remnants of the same paint:

DSCF8904.JPG
DSCF8908.JPG

By the way, any idea of what it might be?

Seppo Koivisto

Post by Seppo Koivisto » 03 May 2021, 18:41

Maybe the color is due to red algae (Trentepohlia iolithus), sometimes incorrectly called in Finnish punajäkälä.
https://themaintenancecorner.com/2019/0 ... om-render/
https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-6587324
https://www.delete.fi/blogi/punajakalak ... kisivusta/

Eugenius

Post by Eugenius » 03 May 2021, 18:49

Well, probably for unknown construction this is the correct explanation of red stains, but Kaarnajoki battery casemates were obviously painted (though not quite accurately) in this red-brown colour.

ML

Post by ML » 03 May 2021, 21:08

I checked my files and found the same pipes in the gun basement of Finnish 6 in gun on Gogland (Suursaari):
I forgot to check Suursaari photos... Yes, there are pipes at Lounatkorkia gun bases, too.
Suursaari_Lounatkorkia.JPG
Canet position at Lounatkorkia, Suursaari

ML

Post by ML » 26 Aug 2022, 20:57

According to Erkki Marttila's book (http://rt3maisemissa.blogspot.com/2006/ ... missa.html your first idea is correct:
"Kaikki Kaarnajoen patterin tykkiasemat ovat säilyneet erittäin hyvin. Asemien pohjalla kasvaa matalaa puustoa. Tykkien pulttikehät ovat jäljellä. Pulttikehän keskeltä nousevasta metalliputkesta on aikanaan tullut puhelinkaapeli."

"All gun positions of Kaarnajoki are very well preserved. Low trees grow on the bottom of pits. Bolt circles are preserved. In the middle of bolt circle there's a metal tube for telephone cable."

Eugenius

Post by Eugenius » 04 Sep 2022, 12:19

"All gun positions of Kaarnajoki are very well preserved. Low trees grow on the bottom of pits. Bolt circles are preserved. In the middle of bolt circle there's a metal tube for telephone cable." - yes, I already read this part of the book, so one question less.)))

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”