Line of Mannerheim and sector of Summa

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Rokka

Line of Mannerheim and sector of Summa

Post by Rokka » 16 Dec 2002, 21:32

This question might be to finnish users...

Do somebody know any history of ErillinenPataljoona3 (ErP3) in the sector of Summa... I knew that ErP3 was located near the village of Summa as fighting reserve... mostly they were Panzer destroyer reserve in the complete sector.

-joni-

Sami_K

Er.P 3

Post by Sami_K » 17 Dec 2002, 10:51

There is a list in the Journal of Military History no:19/2000(Sotahistoriallinen aikakausikirja 19 / 2000) of the different units which have some kind of "unit history"(historiikki) or somehow cover the units actions in the Winter War.

I just checked and the Er.P 3 wasn't in the list. :(

Can't say I remember much about this particular unit. Started the war as part of the covering forces in the Karelian Isthmus, ended up in the 5th Div sector. The CO at the time of the Dec 1939 Summa battles was Major Mäntylä (IIRC).

If that particular area interests you, I recommend you start looking for "Summa" by J.Hakala and M.Santavuori. An excellent book with lots of detail info. I'm sure Er.P 3 is mentioned in the book, but IIRC the book concentrates on the 5th and 6th divisions.

Cheers,
Sami

Rokka

Post by Rokka » 17 Dec 2002, 11:32

thanks sami

I have that book, there is something about ErP3, but I want to know more...

That book is (Summa) is truly masterpiece of what happened in Summa during the winterwar...

-joni-

varjag

Rokka

Post by varjag » 17 Dec 2002, 13:57

Rokka - a well chosen username, I've been waiting for it.
Welcome to the Forum. Where's Wolfspaw?

subskipper

Re: Rokka

Post by subskipper » 17 Dec 2002, 16:54

varjag wrote:Rokka - a well chosen username, I've been waiting for it.

I guess he wouldn't say much even if he was here. :-)

Rokka

Post by Rokka » 17 Dec 2002, 17:54

Thanks, I truly dont know where Sus (Wolfspaw) is... hope to met him here... :wink:

-joni-

Bair

Post by Bair » 18 Dec 2002, 00:08

Hi!

I am planning to go to Military Archive in Helsinki some time in January and check out the war diary of Er P 3, as I need to interview a veteran of that unit in Vammalla, and before I aks any questions I need to know what the unit was doing.

with best regards,

Bair
http://www.mannerheim-line.com

Mark V

Post by Mark V » 18 Dec 2002, 00:32

Hi.

I am shocked (and gladly surprised) by your knowledge. You are Australian ??

Do you know who was the inspiration for Rokka in Tuntematon Sotilas ?? Truth is sometimes even more grim than fiction...

And same to Henric !!

Tapani K.

Post by Tapani K. » 18 Dec 2002, 10:32

There is actually a link (of a sort) between Rokka and Australia. Namely, the guy who played Rokka's role later emigrated to Australia. His name was Reino Tolvanen. BTW I am talking about the classic movie version directed by Edvin Laine.

regards,
Tapani K.

Rokka

Post by Rokka » 18 Dec 2002, 11:09

Hello Bair !

Nice to met some "old friends", we know each other!!!, so make contact to me directly with mail... :) Y@u have mail :wink:

-joni-

varjag

Post by varjag » 18 Dec 2002, 14:37

Mark V wrote:
Hi.

I am shocked (and gladly surprised) by your knowledge. You are Australian ??

Do you know who was the inspiration for Rokka in Tuntematon Sotilas ?? Truth is sometimes even more grim than fiction...

And same to Henric !!
Don't be shocked Mark - Australia is one of these modern 'multicultural' societies. In the days when I was a soldier 'Rokka' was our ideal trying to live up to. Even if we only tried. I didn't read Tuntematon Sotilas - to me it was 'Okänd Soldat' but having been suckled on Runeberg's Fänrik Stål, the message was very clear.
Better dead than red.....
No Mark, I don't know who was Linna's inspiration for Rokka? But as we both know from Jutas, 'with such troops you can challenge the world...'
Rgds, Varjag

Hannu

Post by Hannu » 18 Dec 2002, 15:51

varjag wrote:
Mark V wrote:
No Mark, I don't know who was Linna's inspiration for Rokka? But as we both know from Jutas, 'with such troops you can challenge the world...'
Rgds, Varjag
The forebild of Rokka was a soldier in Väinö Linna´s division. I think his name was Viljami Pylkäs.

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 18 Dec 2002, 18:30

Bair,there was a big story in Helsingin Sanomat newspaper with pics of that re-enact on Summa,which you organized.
Well done.It looked very good :D

Cheers Juha

Bair

Post by Bair » 19 Dec 2002, 23:06

Hi Juha!

thank you for your comments. In fact it was not only me who was organising the event, but still it was quite successful.

thank you again :)

Bair

Mark V

Post by Mark V » 20 Dec 2002, 00:37

varjag wrote: No Mark, I don't know who was Linna's inspiration for Rokka? But as we both know from Jutas, 'with such troops you can challenge the world...'
Rgds, Varjag
Well, like previously stated, inspiration for Rokka in Tuntematon Sotilas was Viljami Pylkäs - do you remember the scene where Rokka kills a squad of Soviets trying to flank his company ??

Serious underestimation: In actual life Viljami Pylkäs killed 82 Soviets alone in same situation with his Suomi-SMG !! They had to downgrade the actual accomplishment in attempt to avoid causing serious stomach ache for some of the viewers/readers...

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”