My grandpaas uncle Juho Pössi

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
patrik.possi
Banned

My grandpaas uncle Juho Pössi

Post by patrik.possi » 28 Jul 2007, 13:00

Iv heard from my family that im is related to a Mannerheim Knight nummber 7 Juho Pössi. After a brief studie with a Finnish book about the Mannerhein Knight, hes file from the finnish war archives and the book "Kolla kestä" plus some familly stories ill found out:

He was born 1898, and served with the wihte forces during the Finnish war of liberation.
In 1919 he joined the the borderguard and hes carerer progresed slowly from 1919 until 1939. He was just Vääpeli as the war straed in 1939.

According to his personal file he was company comander of 1/10 ErP 10 when the war started. In the book "Kolla Kestä" it staded that Vääpeli Pössi in the beging of the war from the same fireing position shot 42 russians with 44 builts. (Page 46)

During the winterwar he and his unit operated in clasic battle ground as Tolvajärvi, Ägläjärvi, Kollan, Saarijärvi etc
The 27 of february he recived the Swedish kings gold medal.
The 6 of march he become company comander of 1 sisu company.
The 13 of march (the last day of the war) he where wounded.

During the intrim period he becom company commander over 11/JR 27.
Acorrding to familly hearing he recived his Mannerheim cross after he by him self blew up a Russian bunker in the "Bunker line" with a satcel charge. And was promoted to captain. He was according to the book of Mannerheim knights he and his unit was the first to cross the Vouksen river 1941 of the Finnish forces. He was later with in the liberation of Suur Saari. And was later reveled due to sickness. But reactiveted in 1944 to finnish army and fought at Ilomatsi.

So with this thread i would recomend any of you had a relative who fought with the finnish armed forces to check thiere personal file.

Rgd Patrik

OldBraggs

Post by OldBraggs » 30 Jul 2007, 07:36

Patrik,

Very interesting, I wish that I had such an ancestor.
Are the files only open to family members, or can researchers get access?

regards,
Steve

Cheltenham, England

Mikko H.

Post by Mikko H. » 30 Jul 2007, 08:47

Try checking here: http://www.sota-arkisto.fi/inet/englanti/index.html

Can't find the information just now, but IIRC personal files can be freely accessed if the person in question has been dead for more than 50 years. If the person died less than 50 years ago, files can be accessed with special permit (which, I believe, is available relatively easily for serious researchers). If the person is still alive, you need his/her permission to access the files.

patrik.possi
Banned

Post by patrik.possi » 30 Jul 2007, 19:01

Yes ill think Miko is right, when ill contacted them there where this 50 years rule for non family.

Patrik

OldBraggs

Post by OldBraggs » 09 Aug 2007, 18:27

I applied for the papers on an officer killed in 1942 and nine days later I have just received 42 photocopied pages :D That is excellent service compared to UK archives. Now for a lot of translation!

Steve

patrik.possi
Banned

Post by patrik.possi » 09 Aug 2007, 19:35

Its also here you get a copy of diffrent units wardairy, iv just got JR6 dairy from the time of Tali-Ihantala

Btw if anyone got more info of Juho Pössi, pls fil in!

RGDs Patrik Pössi

BalticBandit

Post by BalticBandit » 12 Aug 2007, 20:40

Hey Patrik,

I spent this summer reading several books and one of them was "Mannerheimin (Marskin?) Ristin Ritarit (subtitle 191 ihmiskohtaloa)", I remember reading Juho Pössis story and there was a picture also, but I can't remeber any specific details.

Bandit (alias Mikael on Christian Gunther bloggen)

Miku

Pössi in The Finnish Trilogy 1939-1945

Post by Miku » 12 Sep 2007, 18:37

Patrik,

I happened to see this thread and I must say it's very cool!
In my first game to be released: vol.1 Winter War 1939-1940, there will include both the 1./Er.P 10 and Pössi units as a recon/guerilla unit.
In early december 1939, Er.P 10 detached one Company of good skiers for guerilla duties. It was the 1./Er.P 10 (1st Company/10th Separate Battalion) until December 28th, 1939, when Lt.Juha Pössi released Cpt.Saarelainen from the commanding duties and now the unit was also known as Pössin sissit (Pössi Guerilla). In March 10th, 1940 the name was changed from 1./Er.P 10, (which still was its official name) to 1.Er.SissiK (1st Separate Guerilla Company).
In the vol.1 Winter War game 1./Er.P 10 is formed Dec. II '39 turn. In Jan. I '40 turn, it is changed for Pössi and in Mar.II '40 turn changed again to 1.Er.SissiK.
:wink:
/Miku (http://www.mikugames.com)

janner

Post by janner » 12 Sep 2007, 20:15

Here we go again - no matter what Trotter's book says, sissi doesn't translate as guerilla.

Guerilla's are non-military combatants - irregulars, partisans, freedom fighters etc.

Er.P 10 were soldiers and so conducted raids.

regards,

patrik.possi
Banned

Post by patrik.possi » 13 Sep 2007, 01:16

Thank you very much.

Im checking with the royal court of Sweden if there a record of his award from the Swedish king, as soon as ill get an answer, ill will post it here.

Iv have do one problem according to my grandpaa (he self a war veteran from Os.6 and JR6) Captain Pössi was with in the operation to liberat Suursari 1942, but ill cant find his name in any account of that battle... :?
Rgds Patrik

To have a counter in the game with name Pössi would be very cool 8-)

janner

Post by janner » 13 Sep 2007, 17:00

janner wrote:Here we go again - no matter what Trotter's book says, sissi doesn't translate as guerilla.

Guerilla's are non-military combatants - irregulars, partisans, freedom fighters etc.

regards,

Just to follow up on this one: I visited the Finnish Military Museum on Maurinkatu, Helsinki this afternoon and the curator has chosen the use of 'ranger' as a translation for 'sissi'. I know that they are other views on this one but it does fit with both UK and US English (based on their respective military usage).

Regards,

Miku

Post by Miku » 14 Sep 2007, 14:54

janner wrote:Here we go again - no matter what Trotter's book says, sissi doesn't translate as guerilla.

regards,

Interesting and somewhat confusing, since a couple of books (I have not read Trotter) and the Finnish-English dictionary use the word Guerilla, but I've also seen the word ranger, but very rarely.

I guess ranger then, even if I personally like the word Guerilla better... :)

Best regards
Miku

Hanski

Post by Hanski » 15 Sep 2007, 09:35

Janner wrote:Just to follow up on this one: I visited the Finnish Military Museum on Maurinkatu, Helsinki this afternoon and the curator has chosen the use of 'ranger' as a translation for 'sissi'. I know that they are other views on this one but it does fit with both UK and US English (based on their respective military usage).
How would it sound to translate 'sissi' as commando?

Here's what the Wikipedia says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sissi_%28F ... errilla%29

Karri

Post by Karri » 15 Sep 2007, 17:22

Ranger is closest. Not commando for sure. Guerilla is misleading as well.

Sisu

Post by Sisu » 15 Sep 2007, 19:03

I also agree with ranger, it seems to be the closest.A Guerilla IMO is perceived to be very similar to partisans or non combatants taking on a military role. Not at all what a sissi truly is. A ranger would in fact conduct a long range reconnaissance patrol see Wikipedia LRRP.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”