Was the Continuation war unavoidable?

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Tero

Re: Was the Continuation war unavoidable?

Post by Tero » 14 Oct 2007, 20:39

By John T

As I understands, A Finland who shared the destiny of Sweden would have been seen as the best possible outcome.
Yes. But the Swedish way was denied from the Finns by the Soviets.
Or could you elaborate on how Germany took care of Sweden like the balkans?
The remark is a bit ambiguous. The Germans invaded the Balkans and the Swedes were persuaded by "friendly" pressure.
And I have not seen anything that proves that Germany prefered Finland Neutral while Soviet union did not, do you have any sources especially regarding the timeperiod spring-summer 1941?
Not really. But from what I have read the Soviet stance did not alter.

mars

Post by mars » 14 Oct 2007, 20:48

kari lumppio wrote: Think Bulgaria. Was not in war with SU, but still occupied by them in 1944.
Kari
To be fair, The reason #1 SU declared war against Bulgaria was that Bulgaria was an ally of Germany, although Bulgaria was not in war with SU, but she was in war with British, who happened to be SU's ally ans she was happened to stand on the way of SU offensive.
The reason #2 was Bulgaria was guilty of being a small and weak country, she was not strong enough to make any difference if she declared war against SU in 1941, and she was not strong enough to let SU taking any consideration before she declared war against her.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 14 Oct 2007, 21:13

Hi,
John T wrote:As I understands, A Finland who shared the destiny of Sweden would have been seen as the best possible outcome.
As a hindsight, maybe yes

But..as you earlier wrote:
John T wrote:- the decision makers perceptions at the time
The decision makers at that time didn't have all the info we now have.

John T wrote:As I understands, A Finland who shared the destiny of Sweden would have been seen as the best possible outcome.
At least for those ~50k killed during contiunation war?
What do you actually mean?
Neutrality, geographical position or... ?
John T wrote:At least for those ~50k killed during contiunation war?
...at least quite tactless written.

John T wrote:And I have not seen anything that proves that Germany prefered Finland Neutral while Soviet union did not, do you have any sources especially regarding the timeperiod spring-summer 1941?
This then (as Patrik wrote) might be revealing reading:
http://www.worldfuturefund.org/wffmaste ... 12,%201940
John T wrote:In General I am fond of the idea that people can influence their situation so for pure philosofical reasons I can't accept the drift wood theory
Juha earlier wrote:I personally don't see the "driftwood theory" as that bad.
1940-1941 a lot of things "just happened" around Finland, and we drifted from a situation to another.
With very little chances to affect to the events by ourselves.
Sometimes the choices were few, as Professor Huldt here (in Swedish) writes
http://www.svd.se/dynamiskt/kultur/did_14211842.asp
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... &highlight

Regards, Juha
Last edited by Juha Tompuri on 15 Oct 2007, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.

Anne G,

Post by Anne G, » 14 Oct 2007, 22:02

ThomasG wrote: Invasion to Finland was politically and strategically impossible for the Germans before June 22 1941 because Finland belonged to the Soviet sphere of influence according to the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. An invasion would have wasted the lives of many German troops, ruined the element of surprise in Barbarossa and would in general only cause harm to Germany.
And it would have harmed Finlnd far more to have *two* great powers as enemies at the same time.

Actually, the German planed to attack the USSR in Lapland a few weeks *later* that Barbarossa began, and this they could have done also without the help of Finland.

Addition: And when Germany would have attacked the USSR via Northern Finland, would USSR believe that Finland wanted to be neutral? Only if Finland resisted.
Last edited by Anne G, on 15 Oct 2007, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

Tero

Post by Tero » 15 Oct 2007, 06:13

By John T

In General I am fond of the idea that people can influence their situation so for pure philosofical reasons I can't accept the drift wood theory. :)
The simile is ingenious in multiple levels.

The driftwood theory assumes (IMO) a narrow rapid flowing river. The flow of the river is limited, the direction is set and there are rapids, sunken hazards and other considerations like choke poins and rock boulders.

IMO our leaders did a pretty good job when they acted like lumberjacks and rode the driftwood log down the gauntlet and guided the log without falling off it or running it aground.

patrik.possi
Banned

Post by patrik.possi » 15 Oct 2007, 10:11

To compare Swedens sitiuation with Finland in the early summer of 1941 has great flawns, like forexampel Sweden had no land border with Soviet, and has no border next to either Leningrad or Murmansk.

Anne G,

Post by Anne G, » 15 Oct 2007, 10:17

ThomasG wrote: Germany could only hope that success in Barbarossa would lead the Finns to declare war against the Soviet Union to reclaim the lost territory. A more practical attitude for the Finnish leadership would have been to wait and see whether Germany will occupy Moscow and will win the war. In that case there would be an opportunity for Finnish offensive.
Against whom? After Hitler would have won the war, would he have kindly said to the Finns: now take what you want. Or would he had said: you didn't help Germany when we needed help, you have lost all opportiny to regain Karelia. Germany will take it, also.

However, as in the reality the German army didn't take Moscow and the summer short war proved to be an illuson, what would Finland do? Begin the war knowing already that it was lost? Or stay neutral and let the people starve to death as Germany would not give food?

Anne G,

Post by Anne G, » 15 Oct 2007, 10:28

patrik.possi wrote: To compare Swedens sitiuation with Finland in the early summer of 1941 has great flawns, like forexampel Sweden had no land border with Soviet, and has no border next to either Leningrad or Murmansk.
Also, Sweden didn't have over 400,000 refuges longing for home they have lost over one year earlier. And in general, Winter War and the Soviet demands after it.

Anne G,

Post by Anne G, » 15 Oct 2007, 13:48

John T wrote: In General I am fond of the idea that people can influence their situation so for pure philosofical reasons I can't accept the drift wood theory. :)
I agree that people can influence their situation, but their options are limited by what they (and others) have choosen before.

Therefore, the Continuation War could have avoided best *if* there would have been no Winter War. And the Winter War would have been avoided best *if* relations between Finland and the USSR would have been different in 1918-39 and they could have trust one another. But then they would have been different people :)

To back to the reality: Mauno Jokipii (in Jatkosodan synty) says that one of the critical moments was the meeting of the Social Democratic party organ in the middle of June 1941. They were not told everything but enough to make the right conclusion: the war was coming. If they had decided that the Social Democrat ministers must leave the government...but they didn't. Why not, when most were only for defendig and against any attack? Because they were afraid to take the responsiblity for the decision. The "war cabinet" wasn't and they choose the option that *at that time* seemed to be the least dangerous one.

ThomasG

Post by ThomasG » 15 Oct 2007, 17:13

Anne G, wrote: And it would have harmed Finlnd far more to have *two* great powers as enemies at the same time.

Actually, the German planed to attack the USSR in Lapland a few weeks *later* that Barbarossa began, and this they could have done also without the help of Finland.

Addition: And when Germany would have attacked the USSR via Northern Finland, would USSR believe that Finland wanted to be neutral? Only if Finland resisted.
The German presence in Lapland was possible because of a political treaty about military access between Finland and Germany.

If the Germans don't have the consent of Finns they just cannot march to Finland because Finland was a sovereign nation.

John T

Post by John T » 15 Oct 2007, 18:16

I started on this yesterday but some part ahve already been answered by others but I keep it as one text.
ThomasG wrote: I wonder what is the basis of the scenario that Germany would have invaded Finland if Finland had chosen to be strictly neutral and rejected all German demands for military access etc.

Invasion to Finland was politically and strategically impossible for the Germans before June 22 1941 because Finland belonged to the Soviet sphere of influence according to the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. An invasion would have wasted the lives of many German troops, ruined the element of surprise in Barbarossa and would in general only cause harm to Germany.
The problem spells P E T S A M O
If Finland had had the border of today so Norway had direct border with USSR then I find the "Neutral Finland" option possible.
But as it was in 1941 with Finland as a buffer between German and Soviet forces in an area where the finns had very little population and really the Nickel mines where more useful for Finland as a bargain chips than they needed the metal itself.

So you have to find a way to persuade the Germans not to attack towards Murmansk and the Soviets not to push forward to deny Germany of the Nickel ore. and Thats the problem.
If Germany moves in, USSR would most probable expect Finland to join the allies and we goes directly to the Lapland war, but with a much more potent Germany.

If USSR moves first and invades only the Petsamo area, Germany could accept a "rentier" operation alone to safeguard the nickel mines but it would cause much pedagogical capacity to explain to the Finnish people why they should keep out of the fight and in the short perspective accept to first lost Karelia and then Petsamo area without a fight.

The only posible solution I have seen is totaly out of scope wiht Finnish mentality. If FInland gives the area to USSR early June 1941 then they could technically concider it a pure Soviet -German issue and stay out of the fray.
And still tell the Germans that "we did this only since we belive in your capacity to kick the russkies out of Petsamo faster than they came.."

ThomasG wrote: Germany could only hope that success in Barbarossa would lead the Finns to declare war against the Soviet Union to reclaim the lost territory. A more practical attitude for the Finnish leadership would have been to wait and see whether Germany will occupy Moscow and will win the war. In that case there would be an opportunity for Finnish offensive.
That would cost a lot of Finnish selfesteem to act like a Hyena.
and if Germany knew they would win why should they give anything to the Finns?
No pain no gain, sounds like a proverb of Adolf.
ThomasG wrote:
I doubt that the Soviet Union would start the Continuation war bombing Finnish targets if there were no German troops in Finland and Hitler could not boast that the Finns stood "together with the Germans".
Agree.
ThomasG wrote: The only real argument to defend the Finnish agreement of military passage with the Germans is perhaps the fact that the Germans had seized some Finnish war materials in Norway and Finland needed these materials to defend itself against a possible Soviet attack in August 1940. Then again, was this Soviet attack really coming?
Extremely secondary reason as equipment still in Norway was mostly old crap, The emotional feeling of some sort of German interest was much more important. And the arms deal contained modern German and captured equipment too.
ThomasG wrote: ...and the optimistic view Finnish leaders had of the German military capabilities was mistaken.
With hindsight Yes, and who disagree?

cheers
/John T

John T

Post by John T » 15 Oct 2007, 18:33

ThomasG wrote: If the Germans don't have the consent of Finns they just cannot march to Finland because Finland was a sovereign nation.
May I ask you to study Nazi German history a bit more?
Saarland, Austria, Böhmen, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Denmark, Norway, the Nederlands, Belgium, France Yugoslavia, Greece...
All where marched over by Germany berfore June 1941, soverign states or not.

sorry but I cant express myself in a kinder way without being dishonest.

Cheers
/John T.

ThomasG

Post by ThomasG » 15 Oct 2007, 20:55

John T wrote:[
May I ask you to study Nazi German history a bit more?
Saarland, Austria, Böhmen, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Denmark, Norway, the Nederlands, Belgium, France Yugoslavia, Greece...
All where marched over by Germany berfore June 1941, soverign states or not.

sorry but I cant express myself in a kinder way without being dishonest.
Nazi Germany did not have military possibilities to overrun Finland. The Red Army failed in the winter war, why should Nazi Germany fare better? The public opinion in Germany and Italy would totally reject such a campaign.

The Germans never planned an invasion to Finland and it would be fatuous. Finland would not allow the Nazis to "march over" except if some kind of agreement with the Finnish leadership was reached.

Tero

Post by Tero » 15 Oct 2007, 21:54

By ThomasG

Nazi Germany did not have military possibilities to overrun Finland. The Red Army failed in the winter war, why should Nazi Germany fare better?
Because they knew the Finnish situation better. They also would have planned the attack better than the Red Army planners did.
The public opinion in Germany and Italy would totally reject such a campaign.
And that would have caused an uproar just like it caused an uproar in the UK when the Churchill deglared war on Finland ? I think not.
The Germans never planned an invasion to Finland and it would be fatuous. Finland would not allow the Nazis to "march over" except if some kind of agreement with the Finnish leadership was reached.
You are forgetting the Red Army would have invaded days if not hours after the Germans had crossed the Finnish borders. Fighting on two fronts was beyond the Finnish army.

ThomasG

Post by ThomasG » 15 Oct 2007, 22:02

Tero wrote: Because they knew the Finnish situation better. They also would have planned the attack better than the Red Army planners did.
The Red Army had a land border with Finland. Germany didn't except for the small area in the North which was not suitable for a large offensive.

The German troops would have to land to the Finnish coast which would be a logistical nightmare. There would be no guarantee that Germany would be victorious.
And that would have caused an uproar just like it caused an uproar in the UK when the Churchill deglared war on Finland ? I think not.
There simply wasn't any benefit to be had. Germany's strategic enemies were the Soviet Union and Britain and an invasion to Finland would do nothing to help Germany defeat them.

In fact, an invasion to Finland would be harmful to German interests very likely postponing Barbarossa, damaging relations with Sweden etc.
You are forgetting the Red Army would have invaded days if not hours after the Germans had crossed the Finnish borders. Fighting on two fronts was beyond the Finnish army.
You think that Germans and Soviets planned to invade together in 1941??

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”