Digitized Finnish War Diaries

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
crolick

Re: Digitized Finnish War Diaries

Post by crolick » 30 Dec 2009 00:53

I have not found any Naval diaries (I'm looking for the ones from submarines) - are they going to be published?

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove » 30 Dec 2009 08:32

crolick wrote:- are they going to be published?
Yes if they are accessible. It will take some time to digitize all of them.

Esa K

Post by Esa K » 07 Jan 2010 10:42

Hi
Martti Kujansuu wrote:According to narc.fi the project was started in 2007 and will be finished in 2013. Fifteen shelf kilometres of material will be restored along the project. The White Guard material (three kilometres) was made available a while ago.
Thanks for the link and this additional info again. Wonder where I found that this restoration work was under it´s way in Utti, maybe it was there temporarily...?
Bair wrote: ...hand-written accounts with hard pencil on bad paper... Good old fun!
Yep, real good old fun :D

Thanks agin and best regards

Esa K

Rajaväpeli

Post by Rajaväpeli » 09 Jan 2010 13:27

This is a extract from the war diaries from the 1. komp Er.P 16 (Erillinen Pataljoona 16) 9.10.39-25.3.40 my grandfather (äidinisä) alikersantti Pakarinen is mentioned in the war diaries, so my question is, if there is someone who can help me translate this text in to English?

Pvm.2.12 Klo.22.45 Tapahutma
Kortesalmen lähetetty partio Pulkkinen ilmoitti: klo 17.15 kuulut kiivasta ammuntaan Pistosta. Väli Pisto - Kieheröjärvi Kuuna ei tavattu mitään erikoista. I joukk. johtajan ilmoitus: Joukk. edennyt Särkelään ja sieluta edelleen Pistoon päin n. 2 km, jossa tapasi Piston vartion miehistön johtaja rv. alikers Pakarinen, ja koska oli suo kovin pimeä palasi Sänkelään.

Pvm.4.12 Klo.22.15 Tapahutma
Ilmoitus I joukk:sta. Partio Pakarinen palannut Pistosta ja ilmoittanut, että vartiossa el vih:a enää näkynyt. Partio toi Pistosta suksia ja muuta tavaraa.

Pvm.9.12 Klo.15.00 Tapahutma
Partio Pakarinen ottamassa selvää Kouttisen tapahtumasta Kohatasi ryysän partion, jolloin syntyi laukasten vaihtoa ja stm. Pörmänen Viljo haavoittui lisvästi.

JTV

Post by JTV » 09 Jan 2010 18:16

Here is the best try at the moment. Few words in your text may have been wrong (original words either don't mean anything in Finnish or don't make real sense), so I included the most likely alternative that came to mind in brackets with question mark.
Pvm.2.12 Klo.22.45 Tapahtuma
Kortesalmen lähetetty partio Pulkkinen ilmoitti: klo 17.15 kuulut (kuullut/kuulunut?) kiivasta ammuntaan (ammuntaa?) Pistosta. Väli Pisto - Kieheröjärvi Kuuna ei tavattu mitään erikoista. I joukk. johtajan ilmoitus: Joukk. edennyt Särkelään ja sieluta (sieltä?) edelleen Pistoon päin n. 2 km, jossa tapasi Piston vartion miehistön johtaja rv. alikers Pakarinen, ja koska oli suo (silloin?) kovin pimeä palasi Sänkelään.
Date 2nd of December 22:45 Event:
Patrol Pulkkinen (presumably named after its leader) sent to Kortesalmi reported: About 17:15 sounds of raging gunfire from Pisto. Nothing worth reporting spotted in route Pisto - Keiheröjärvi. Report from leader of 1st Platoon: The platoon has advanced to Särkelä and continued from there about 2 kilometers towards Pisto, where it met leader of the guard post, cavalry Sergeant Pakarinen, and because swamp (then?) was very dark, it returned to Sänkelä.
Pvm.4.12 Klo.22.15 Tapahtuma
Ilmoitus I joukk:sta. Partio Pakarinen palannut Pistosta ja ilmoittanut, että vartiossa el (ei?) vih:a enää näkynyt. Partio toi Pistosta suksia ja muuta tavaraa.
Date 4th of December 22:15, Event:

Report from 1st Platoon. Patrol Pakarinen has returned from Pisto and reported that the guard post had not spotted the enemy any more. The patrol brought back skis and other materials from Pisto.
Pvm.9.12 Klo.15.00 Tapahtuma
Partio Pakarinen ottamassa selvää Kouttisen tapahtumasta Kohatasi (kohtasi?) ryysän (ryssän?) partion, jolloin syntyi laukasten (laukausten?) vaihtoa ja stm. Pörmänen Viljo haavoittui lisvästi (lievästi?).
Date 9th of December 15:00 Event:

Patrol Pakarinen sent to find out about events in Kouttinen run into Soviet patrol, which resulted to exchange of gunfire in which Private Viljo Pörmänen received minor wounds.

Jarkko

ML

Post by ML » 09 Jan 2010 23:36

rv. alikers Pakarinen
"Rv." is here probably rajavartiosto (border guard), not ratsuväki (cavalry).

JTV

Post by JTV » 10 Jan 2010 08:24

ML wrote:
rv. alikers Pakarinen
"Rv." is here probably rajavartiosto (border guard), not ratsuväki (cavalry).
Might well be and might make more sense. "Rv" was official abbreviation of border guard, while "rv." was the abbreviation of cavalry, but mistakes like this are not too uncommon.

Jarkko

Rajaväpeli

Post by Rajaväpeli » 10 Jan 2010 11:13

Thanks Jarkko

For an excellent translation of the text, the original text you can find under

http://digi.narc.fi/digi/fullpic.ka?kuid=1634294

on page 4 and 5.

The comment from ML is correct, he was with the Rajavartiosto.

Christer

Simon Orchard

Post by Simon Orchard » 13 Jan 2010 19:33

Would anyone be kind enough to help me a little with these? I'm looking for the war diaries of the regiment stationed a Kilpisjärvi for the period Jan-May '45 which i understand was various companies from IR 1.

I have the German war diaries for the period and need to cross reference the reported actions with the Finnish records.

Thanks in advance

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove » 13 Jan 2010 21:26

Simon Orchard wrote:I'm looking for the war diaries of the regiment stationed a Kilpisjärvi for the period Jan-May '45 which i understand was various companies from IR 1.
It seems that not all diaries are digitized yet, these are the ones I found from the database.

JR 1 5.2.-13.7.1945
http://digi.narc.fi/digi/fullpic.ka?kuid=3409823

Vahv. I/JR 1 25.-26.4.1945
http://digi.narc.fi/digi/fullpic.ka?kuid=3374819

crolick

Post by crolick » 14 Jan 2010 11:59

Simon Orchard

Post by Simon Orchard » 14 Jan 2010 22:32

Thankyou Martti, i appreciate the help. Cant read a word of Finnish so i'll have to find someone here to help with that but the main thing is, i have them now.

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove » 15 Jan 2010 07:48

Simon Orchard wrote:Cant read a word of Finnish so i'll have to find someone here to help with that but the main thing is, i have them now.
Post your questions in appropriate thread and I see what I can do. :wink:

JTV

Post by JTV » 16 Jan 2010 22:52

crolick wrote:I have not found any Naval diaries (I'm looking for the ones from submarines) - are they going to be published?
I just noticed that many of the Continuation War era war diaries of submarines seem to have been recently added. All four submarines (Iku-Turso, Saukko, Vetehinen and Vesikko) are included, but all years are not yet covered. They are almost at bottom of this listing at the moment:
http://digi.narc.fi/digi/newimages.ka

Jarkko

Rajaväpeli

Post by Rajaväpeli » 22 Jan 2010 20:44

35. Rajakomppania
This is a extract from the war diaries from the 35. Rajakomppania 17.11.41 -20.2.42 my grandfather (äidinisä) alikersantti Pakarinen is mentioned in the war diaries, so my question is again, if there is someone who can help me translate this text in to English?

http://digi.narc.fi/digi/fullpic.ka?kuid=3182938

7.12.41 Klo 16.00 (Orginal text on page 15 -16)
Palasi Vänr.Huuskonen komennukselta divisionasta. Komennuksen laatu komppaniasta muodstetaan jälleenkaksi komppaniaa jotka muodostavat 35:n rajajääkari pataljonan (komppanian?). Pataljonan komentaja Kapt. Terho meidän komppanian päälikkö Vänr. Huuskonen niinkauan kun. Pessi palaa sairaalasta. Komppanoiden partionimet on samat kuin ennenkin komppaniastamme muodostettiin 3 joukkuetta joiden johtajat 1:n Alikersantti Pakarinen, 2:n Kersantti Laukkanen, 3:n Kersantti Käkelä, Tst.an Kersantti Leinonen.

11.12.41 Klo 12.00 (Orginal text on page 17)
Lähtö komppaniamme päälikkö Vänr.Huuskonen Js.P:lle hänessä oli kuumetta yli 39 astetta väliaikainen kompp.pääl toimii: Raja-Ylikersannti Pakarinen.

Linnoitusrakennuspataljoona SAK-2
I have also a question if someone have some information about where Linnoitusrakennuspataljoona SAK - 2 (Lin.RP SAK 2) was located in December 1943 in Finland. From the war diary i have found a name on a place "Valkjärveltä or Valkjärvellä" does someone now where in Finland this place is located.

http://digi.narc.fi/digi/fullpic.ka?kuid=2954028

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”