Which gun was set as monument in Petrozavodsk (Aanislinna)?

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Bair

Which gun was set as monument in Petrozavodsk (Aanislinna)?

Post by Bair » 04 Mar 2003 18:09

I heard a story that it was one of the 2 remaining Japanese 150 mm howitzers from the unfortunate Rsk Psto 2 that was set as a monument in Petrozavodsk on the place of Lenin's statue when Finns captured the city in September 1941. However, I do not have any written sources about it.

Is it a legend or indeed true? Any reference to a written source would be appreciated!

with best regards,

Bair
http://www.mannerheim-line.com

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 04 Mar 2003 20:15

Hi Bair,

It´s true. There are several Finnish sources, like the "Itsenäisen Suomen Kenttätykit 1918-1995" ("Field Artillery Pieces of the Independent Finland...) by Jyri Paulaharju.

Regards, Juha

Bair

Post by Bair » 04 Mar 2003 21:09

Dear Juha,

thank you very much for your information! Tomorrow morning there will be an update at Mannerheim Line pages about the fate of the unfortunate Raskas Psto 2, with a picture of their positions and stories from both sides.

regards,

Bair
http://www.mannerheim-line.com

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 04 Mar 2003 21:53

Hi again Bair,

Do you know about the fate of the http://www.saunalahti.fi/veijju/tykit/150h14.htm howitzers (how many were caught intact? Some were overrun by tanks?)
Interesting detail is that one howitzer was re-captured at Perkjärvi(!) supply depot 1941. I wonder, was that weapon the one at Petrozavodsk/Petroskoi/Äänislinna, or the one that was being overhaulad at homefront and so avoided the fate of it´s colleagues Feb-40.
Also, do you Bair, or someone else know what happened to the "P/P/Ä" howitzer: which one is the piece at our Artillery Museum?

Regards, Juha

P.S. Have to check your site tomorrow. Again.

Bair

Post by Bair » 04 Mar 2003 22:50

Hi Juha,

thank you very much for your reply and the link indeed. There were total of 10 howitzers captured, all pictures are at my website at Summa - Lahde page. It is interesting to know that one of the howitzers actually stayed in Perkjarvi.

What is the "P/P/Д" howitzer? Does not ring the bell at all... :(

Regards,

Bair

Bair

Post by Bair » 04 Mar 2003 22:51

Hi Juha,

thank you very much for your reply and the link indeed. There were total of 10 howitzers captured, all pictures are at my website at Summa - Lahde page. It is interesting to know that one of the howitzers actually stayed in Perkjarvi.

Regards,

Bair

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 04 Mar 2003 23:19

Bair wrote:
:oops: Sorry, just too lazy to write the "Petrozavodsk/Petroskoi/Äänislinna". :oops:

Regards, Juha

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 05 Mar 2003 07:52

Hi Bair,

This is from "Äänisen Rannoilla" (At the Shores of lake Onega) by Niilo Lappalainen.

Regards, Juha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bair

Post by Bair » 05 Mar 2003 08:34

Hi Juha,

the story is already at my page, you can check it out - along with yet another picture of the howitzer placed as a monument, from the picture collection that I received from my fiancee's family.

http://www.mannerheim-line.com/summa/su ... m#monument

I hope I will have time to post them all at my page in a separate gallery some time.

Regards,

Bair

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 05 Mar 2003 11:23

Hi Bair,

NICE!
Very informative and detailed work at your site.

One more pic about the howitzers (at Perkjärvi 1940). A Russian one from the "Talvisodan Historia 2" (History of Winter War) by Sotatieteen Laitos.

Regards, Juha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 05 Mar 2003 19:47

Hi Bair,

From the book "Tykistömuseon 78 Tykkiä" ( 78 Guns of the Finnish Artillery Museum) by Unto Partanen, I found out that the howitzer at the museum is the one that was not captured at Summa, and the one that was placed as a monument was the one that was re-captured at Perkjärvi. AFAIK the monument gun was left behind and so re-re-captured (actually re-re-re-captured as it was Soviet property until 1918) by Soviet troops.

As the 2nd pic at Artillery Museum link shows (and can easily read) that the museum gun was produced at Osaka Artillery Factory, year 1909.

The "Itsenäisen Suomen Kenttätykit 1918-1995" book states that ammo consumption of these Japanese howitzers was 4502 grenades, AFAIK all at Summa 1939-40.

Regards, Juha

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”