WW2 Finnish Parachute Badge?

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
338lapua

WW2 Finnish Parachute Badge?

Post by 338lapua » 17 May 2012, 07:30

I've read here in these forums of Estonian volunteers, British volunteers and a couple Finnish units that got trained for parachute operations. Does anyone know if Finland issued a parachute badge to those who were trained ?.....like German and US parachute troops were awarded.....
If you run, you'll just die tired

Mangrove

Re: WW2 Finnish Parachute Badge?

Post by Mangrove » 17 May 2012, 08:59

338lapua wrote:Does anyone know if Finland issued a parachute badge to those who were trained ?.....like German and US parachute troops were awarded.....
The German Fallschirmjägers and United States Parachute infantry were regular paratrooper units composed of special trained soldiers while the Finnish soldiers that received paratrooper training were land-based patrol men. The training was handled by the Air Force and only few courses were trained. Thus there were no need to create a special badge by the Päämaja for a few dozen men. There might have been an unofficial course badge but I have not seen such.

338lapua

Post by 338lapua » 17 May 2012, 23:39

Thanks Martti. I thought that was probably the case......but thought they might have been issued the German one.
If you run, you'll just die tired

parahist

Post by parahist » 08 Nov 2017, 18:03

Old post but...
There was no any special badge for Finnish men who get parachute training. In war time, there was four parachute courses in Finland. In total, there was more than 100 men who were trained in those courses. Few (3) Finns took part parachute course in Germany in 1943. That course was keep in Rangsdorf. But, they also told that they did not get any badge!

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”