Fighting at Tihveri 29/6 -44

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
subskipper

Re: Fighting at Tihveri 29/6 -44

Post by subskipper » 01 Feb 2017, 21:36

I keep being amazed by the relative detail level of the Esikunta diary compared to the others. Thanks yet again!

Lotvonen

Post by Lotvonen » 02 Feb 2017, 07:27

JR4, HQ WD continued.
(probably the HQ had more time for record keeping than the battalions which were fighting)

4.7.(44)01.00hrs
8D HQ, Col.Lt. Pietarinen informs:
III/JR4 shall receive 25 lorries for battalion transfer.
02.20hrs Lt Olsson relayed order to Capt Tenho: II Btn is not allowed to withdraw from their delaying positions before 04.00hrs. I Btn shall withdraw also at 04.00hrs delaying at the direction of the main road.
02.00hrs Order to III Btn 01.00hrs amended :
Btn shall take over the reception positions manned by JR8 at Suurmäki road and at the road from Palalahti to “Red line”, including the terrain between them.
03.30hrs Command units moved from Palalahti village to join H/JR4 abt 4km S of Kolatselkä village.
06.00hrs II/JR45 subjcetion to JR4 ended.
10.30hrs Col. Simelius reported to 8.D CO for briefing on future tasks.
11.00hrs Col. Simelius contacted Col. Ikonen (JR9 CO).
11.35hrs Lt Olsson set out to relay the following order to Capt Hannila :
One reinforced rifle Coy of III Btn to set up a bridgehead position E of Palalahti village between (map) words “Muk” and “Cap” to N. Rest of the Btn shall march, delaying, along the SW shore of Tulemajärvi lake for Kolatselkä village.
14.30hrs CO of III Btn left wing neighbouring section (Palalahti) reports that no bridgehead in Palalahti is needed because they are moving directly N of Palalahti village to the waterways line. Due to this the order to one reinforced rifle Coy of III Btn to remain in Palalahti village is recalled. The entire Btn shall disengaged from their positions and prepared to march to Kolatselkä.
16.00hrs – 17.00hrs Heavy thunderstorm and massive rain that turned the village roads into mud.
17.00hrs CO moved to the new Command post in Finnish territory at Käsnäselkä road near Ala-Latvajärvi lake. Borderline was crossed at 17.47hrs.
17.00hrs II Btn fighting units arrived at the new cantonment area in “Mertalampi” terrain.
Division started to move Btns with lorries to new protection (?) areas in order II Btn, I Btn, II Btn, AT Coy, Mortar Coy.
19.00hrs AT Coy set out.
20.00hrs Mortar Coy. set out.
21.00hrs I Btn fighting units arrived at new protection area in terrain of word “Saarijärvi”
20.00hrs Lt. Mattila from 8.D HQ relayed order:
III Btn shall remain in the terrain S of Käsnäjärvi without joining the Rgt. Lt. Rantala set out to guide the III Btn.
20.10hrs Report to 8.D HQ :
I Btn arrived at 21.00hrs
II Btn arrived at 17.00hrs
III Btn arrived at 18.00hrs
Lt. Olsson/Col.Lt Pietarinen
24.00hrs Capt Varis of 7.D relayed the same command as Lt. Mattila.
24:00hrs Commander arrived at the command post having familiarized himself with the new defence sector.
23.40hrs The last units of the Rgt left Kolatselkä.
III Btn was guided from Käsnäselkä to Muljanjärvi direction subjected to JR45.
II Btn did not have to engage the battles there but remained in JR45 reserve while there.

Capt. Wuorenheimo, E transferred from 13./JR4 to 22. Sota S (=hospitalized)
Lt. Aaltonen, L from HTK 3 to III/JR4

End of diary “Tulo 9104” . To be continued ?

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 02 Feb 2017, 18:31

Lotvonen wrote:End of diary “Tulo 9104” . To be continued ?
Yes, please!
Lotvonen wrote:20.30hrs Order from 8.D HQ EP concerning disengagement:
EP = Esikuntapäällikkö = Chief of staff/8.Division

With best, J-P :milwink:
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 02 Feb 2017, 20:15

Thanks guys! "Tulo 9104"? I'll see if I can find the continuation.

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 02 Feb 2017, 20:24

Lotvonen

Post by Lotvonen » 03 Feb 2017, 08:14

JR4, HQ WD continued.
New diary Tulo 9104

4.7.(44)05.00hrs
Report to 8D HQ:
III Btn fighting units arrived at the defined location 0400hrs
Lt. Olsson /Maj. Ränkipohja
08.00hrs. Commander and Rgt. Officer Paerma set out to 8.D HQ
the direction of the main road.
11.30hrs Lt Vainionmäki set out to guide the Coy. CO s of our Regiment to the future defence line.
12.30hrs Commander, Rgt. Officer, chief of Signalling and Engineer Officer set out to familiarize with the future defence sector.
13.30hrs Chief of Supply inspecting gear and other supply matters in the Battalions and separate units. Rgt. Received 700 pairs of trousers, 150 summer tunics and 300 pairs of boots.
Tgt. Finds itself at the moment “resting” The men had finally a chance to sleet well and are now cleaning their weapons and fixing their gear.
18.50hrs Order to Lt. Heikkilä (Sissi det.)
The Detachment shall reconnoitre and secure in Hirvilammi terrain. Reconnoitring to be directed E and S. Must contact JR4.
20.00hrs Tel. Message from “Terho”
Col.Lt. Airila is posted as 5.D HQ chief of staff. Col.Lt. Viisterä to rejoin JR4
Later Col.Lt. Viisterä's arrival was recalled.
21.50hrs I and II Btn were ordered to reconnoitre terrain to S, is it passable for horse carts.
22.00hrs Col.Lt. Airila and Maj. Holopainen reported to the Commander about their reconnoitring on the future defence line.
2nd Lt. Koivisto,P. Transferred from III/JR4 to 31.SotaS.

03.00 Report from III Btn:
Btn set out at 21.45hrs, heading S . Btn subjected to JR45.
03.10hrs Commander informed I and II Btns about this.
03.15hrs Runner of LT Heikkilä informed that the Sissi detachment tel. connection is (situated) on “Lelu” isthmus. Detachment has patrolled S and E. No Russkies spotted.
03.20hrs Reported this to 8.D HQ .
07.20hrs Radio message from Sissi detachment (in Mylläri (?))
Sissi detachment arrived 21.35hrs. Command post coordinates N33-00, E 97-60.
Patrols sent out to E to the line and to S to the river. No enemies
08.40hrs Report from II Btn:
Isthmus between Mustasuo (bog) and Louhijärvi lake is passable for horse carts excl. Mustasuo. A lorry has been driven from the road along the footpaths 5km to S.
08.45hrs Reported the abovementioned to 8.D HQ.
Lt. Olsson / 2nd Lt. Vermola
09.15hrs Report from I Btn:
The road from Rajalammi in Uomaa to S is passable by motor vehicles up to Uuksujoki river.
09:30hrs Reported the abovementioned to 8.D HQ.
10.40hrs Lt Heikklä reported by runner fom tel. Exchange “Lelu” :
Our Btn. Coming from Vepsäläinen.
11.35hrs Tel message to Lt. Heikkilä via “Lelu” (to Mylläri) :
Reconnotring to be extended to line Vepsälänlampi – Onkilampi bog – Kirilova bog. On the roads S from Käsnäselkä friendly troops in pt. N31-00. Friendly Btn shall withdraw via Vepsäläislampi. Report on contact with friendly troops.
Särö2.
On 5.7.at 09.30hrs I/JR45 was subjected to JR4 that is in Koirinoja.
12.30hrs Capt. Luoto and Lt. Vaulo set out to Nietjärvi field fortifications line to receive out of 400 replacements 33 NCOs and 140 men who are posted to JR4. The men are born between years 1902 to 1908 (Sic!)
13.00hrs Cpt. Helminen of Fortifications Detachment reported to the Commander on Field Fortifications matters.
13.10hrs II Btn received orders via Lt. Lindman to organise and control the building of forepost positions on Vieljärvi line.
Work is to be started immediately as far as tools are available. Units involved include II Btn. 13.Coy and 14.Coy.
13.40hrs Commander gave Maj. Ahi the following order relayed by Maj. Kivinen:
Ahi shall start with all available manpower works on NW of Nietjärvi. Troops must be so close at hand that they can when necessary transferred to other duties.
14.00hrs Btns shall immediately start training on the use of close range AT weapons. Lt. Lehti is the trainer in I Btn and Lt. Saarinen in II Btn.
14.10hrs Capt. Kettunen reported to the Commander as the chief of HQ /JR4.
9./JR4 CO is Lt. Sara from 9.Coy, Lt. Toikka, ex chief of HQ was posted on 5.7. as CO of I/JR4.
13.10hrs Maj. Holopainen requested permission to move his camp area because it has been detected by Russki aircraft that bombed. No losses. Col. Simelius requested from the Div. CO who did not approve.
18.00hrs Radio messge from Lt. Heikkilä:
"Contact to S established. Coy. Delaying in V-lampi terrain. The rest manning the river line. Contact to E to the line established too.
Heikkilä at 14.50hrs"
18.25hrs Commander set out for the briefing by Div.CO at 19.00hrs
19.15hrs Lt Olsson relayed the radio message by L. Heikkilä to 8.D HQ
20.50hrs Due to the sound of rifle fire in the direction of Vuortanajärvi 2 patrols from Jaeger Platoon were sent out to find out.
2nd Lt Rauvolin, A transferred from 13./JR4 to 29.SotaS.

00.45hrs Capt. Tenho visiting Commander to receive orders to reconnoitre road 06.15hrs connections from the terrain of Lavajärvi to the direction of Syskyjärvi.
06.15hrs Lt Heikkilä reported via runner (7.7.,03.45hrs)
“Our troops have withdrawn from Vepsäläislampi to the direction of “Patja”. Enemy W of Rääpiölampi (lake) along the river. Our patrol sent out to E of R-lampi. The left limit of our Battalion at Patja direction is at the “horseshoe” in the river bend about 1 ½ km NE from “Uuksunjoki “ “i”. Enemy patron has managed to cross the river at some seam. No better information available, patrol is being pursued. If it is intended to keep the enemy on the far side of the river line reinforcements are needed. The road to Heroilampi (?) passable for lorries, although partly mined by Pion.P. But the mines are clearly marked and easily removable.
Lt. Heikkilä”
06.40hrs The abovementioned relayed to 8.D HQ.
06.55hrs Order to Capt. Tenho:
II Btn Jaeger platoon to be transferred to secure the terrain in “Mökki” (Abt. 7Km S from Ylä-Lavajärvi).
07.00 The abovementioned relayed to 8.D HQ.
07.15hrs Radio message from Lt. Heikkilä 05.05hrs:
“Enemy N and further to W of Rääpiölampi. Troops on the river line have withdrawn to the river in “Patja“ terrain. Our patrol sent out E of Rääpiölampi but not reported yet. The section is too wide for me. Shall the troops be reinforced ?.
Heikkilä”
07.20hrs The abovementioned relayed to 8.D HQ.

To be continued .
(4)

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 03 Feb 2017, 18:46

Thanks yet again! Very easy to follow along now thanks to this:

http://www.karjalankartat.fi/

Lotvonen

Post by Lotvonen » 04 Feb 2017, 07:30

JR4, HQ WD continued.
New diary Tulo 9104

08.05hrs Div.CO called Col.Simelíus and ordered to leave one rifle Coy. at Rääpiölampi direction.
08.15hrs Order to Maj.Holopainen:
One Coy. Must immediately be moved to the direction of Rääpiölampi.
Co. Simelius/Maj. Holopainen
09.30hrs Report from JR45:
III/JR4 to start march to their own Rgt.
09.50hrs Commander briefing. Present HQ officers and Capt. Laakso and Lt. Tyrni.
7D shall turn to the direction of Loimola .
JR45 shall march to W and man the so called U line.
JR4 shall set up defence , right limit Katitsalampi. From there the line continues to Syskyjärvi and from there to NNE to Varpajärvi, from there to Kiimajärvi, from there to NE.
Delay action shall be supported by light mortar. 2 pcs of Soikkonen's AT guns shall be placed to fire to the direction of Varpajärvi road.
III Btn shall today march to Varpajärvi and start setting up and manning the “ppl” (Main defence line?) there.
One Coy of II Btn shall march roday to the terrain of Syskyjärvi – Katitsalampi, man it and start field fortification work.
I Btn shall delay to the direction of Varpajärvi whereafter it shall constitute the Rgmt reserve.
II Batn shall delay on the isthmus Saarijärvi – Hallinlampi and withdraw W of Pyhäjärvi to section Katitsalampi – Syskyjärvi.
10.40hrs Report by runner from Lt. Heikkilä (sent 08.35hrs)
“I am withdrawing while fighting at 08.35hrs. My location W of Hervi-lampi. Abt. 12 enemies have been killed.
Heikkilä”
10.42hrs Radio message from Lt. Heikkilä 10.35hrs:
“Enemy managed to send more troops over the river, one Coy maybe. Focal point in the terrain of Rääpiölampi where the enemy is on the N side of the river. I shall continue reconnoitring.
Heikkilä”
13.20hrs Report from Maj. Holopainen:
“I/JR4 met an enemy unit of some 50 men N of Heroilampi. 3 Russkies taken out. At the same time our “Heikkilä's patrol” reached the Salmi – Käsnäselkä road and saw that a Russki vehicle column was heading N."
13.30hrs Abovementioned relayed to 8.D HQ.
14.17hrs Radio message from Lt. Heikkilä :
“I have handed over the line to Lt. Toikka. Unless I am receiving other orders I shall continue reconnoitring in the gap that I have reported.
Heikkilä”
16.30hrs Radio message to Lt. Heikkilä:
“Move 7km W of Heroilampi to terrain “Mökki”. Secure the footpaths and extend reconnoitring deep to S.
By order Särö2”
16.40hrs Abovementioned radio messages 14.17 and 16.30 relayed to 8.D HQ
Lt. Olsson/Capt. Norovuori
21.30hrs A transparent drawing was sent to I/JT4, II/JR4, Er.P.18 and II/JR45 describing the plan to withdraw and delay to the main defence line. Diary appx no.19A
22.45hrs Col. Kotilainen reported that Elomaa has withdrawn from the Pensasjoki river line. Er.P.18 has manned Uuksunjoki line.

01.30hrs Col. Kotilainen arrived to hand over the responsibility of the front to Col.Simelíus. Handing over had not yet been completed as it was informed that Er.P18 is withdrawing from Uuksunjoki line. Col. Kotilainen was ordered by Gen. Kääriäinen to go and sort out the case. Er.P.18 was stopped at Uomaaoja.
03.30hrs Col.Kotilainen handed over the responsibility of the front to Col.Simelíus.
04.00hrs Maj. Alm of Kev.Psto10 arrived at the Rgt. Command post.
04.55hrs Maj. Holopainen reported that in front of his line there is one bridge that has not been prepared for demolition. Therefore Capt. Paarma phoned Maj. Mattila, CO of Pion.P22 who promised that he will see to it that the bridge shall be blown up when necessary.
08.15hrs Maj Elomaa reported to the Commander.
08.20hrs Commander reported the situation to 8.D HQ.
09.30hrsCapt. Gustafsson (Er.P18) was orderd to contact Maj Hakulinen (7.D)
( in the margin: 05.00hrs I/JR45 subjection to JR4 ended)
Although not ordered in the actual delaying order one Coy shall march at first N from Uomaa and then veer to W for S of Varpajärvi . The Coy shall secure the bog isthmuses and paths between the cart road from Uomaa and the Siira road. The rest of the Btn shall join II/JR4 instead of I/JR4 and that shall provide detailed instructions.
10.00hrs Capt Gustafsson (Er.P18) reported that pressure is hard at Uomaanjoki. Asked for permission to withdraw. Col Simelius granted the permission but ordered to delay in a stiff manner from hill to hill.
11.00hrs Report from Maj. Holopainen:
“1.Coy was forced to withdraw from the isthmus Pitkälampi-Louhijärvi as the Russki attacked. One platoon was surrounded but managed to break out.”
11.20hrs Col. Reported this to 8.D HQ to Pietarinen.
11.50hrs A Lieutenant of Pion.P22 reported, tasked to torch the firewood storage at Siira road.
12.00hrs Uomaa village abandoned. Delaying moving to the Sääksjärvi breakoff point manned by I Btn.
12.30hrs Div. Ordered: Rj.P3 (Rautasalo) is subjected to JR4.
Er.P18 subjected to JR4.
12.35hrs Maj. Rautasalo phoned Col. Simelius and ws ordered to move to the isthmuses of Lava-järvi. Capt. Pöntys (5.Coy) had earlier been given the same task as Maj. Rautasalo.
13.00hrs Maj. Holopainen reported that one Coy of II Batn and Coy. Survo are ready to secure and support the coming counter-attack.
13.40hrs Maj. Rautasalo reported to Col. Simelius and received instructions for the coming counter-attack.
14.00hrs Russki shelled the terrain of the Command Post.
14.25hrs Capt. Gustafsson was ordered to assemble the Companies and remian at the disposal of Maj. Holopainen. The Coy subjected to 7.D has set out.
14.40hrs Russki attack against Holopainen's line is going on.
15.15hrs Radio contact with I Btn.
1 tank mined, immobile, firing at our positions
Observation balloon in front of our lines.
Soikkonen's 2 AT guns have left for I Btn.
Olsson/Holopainen
16.00hrs Situation report to 8.D HQ:
The abovementioned messages by Holopainen.
Artillery (enemy) much more active than yesterday.
Olsson /Kemmo(?)
16.15hrs Report from I Btn:
Observed 4 tanks, one of which in flames, one sunk in bog and still there, two in action still.

To be continued . (7)

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 04 Feb 2017, 11:47

I wonder what happened to the bog tank. Still there? :) Thanks Lotvonen!

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 04 Feb 2017, 12:20

Chilling personal touch to realise my grandfather was in the thick of all that.

https://www.sotapolku.fi/henkilot/huttu ... 3_viipuri/

Lotvonen

Post by Lotvonen » 05 Feb 2017, 09:23

JR4, HQ WD continued.
New diary Tulo 9104

18.15hrs Maj Sourander who planned the Syskyjärvi line visited our command post to inform about the line.
18.30hrs Col.Lt. Pietarinen from 8.D HQ reported that Russki have cut off the Siirantie road about 1 ½ km S of Plotina-Mustajärvi .
18.45hrs Order to III Btn:
-Disengage 1 Coy to the abovementioned spot and open the road
-Rgt. Jaeger platoon was ordered to proceed directly from the N tip of Ala-Lavajärvi lake to the abovementioned spot of fighting.
18.46hrs Btn Gustafsson was allowed to march N on the Siira road .
18.47hrs Radio message from Rj.P3:
Rj.P.3 keeps advancing, no contact yet, radio working, continuing S myself.
RjP.3
18.55hrs Report from I Btn:
“Shot up one KV (no.349), 16 shots fired (75mm) before it was destroyed.
One T-34 (no.350) behind the aforementioned was hit and remained smoking”
19.35hrs Heikkilä reported: withdrawn to Riuttasoja
19.55hrs Order to II Btn:
(Footnote: transparent drawing about the situation at 18.00hrs Appendix no.20A)
Pöntys Coy. To start moving for Sääksjärvi passing Hallinlampi by S
20.10hrs Cpl. Jussila of Rj.P.3 relayed a message informing that a rather strong Russki unit has managed to break through at thre right wing of the Btn.
20.40hrs Report relayed by Maj. Rantasalo's runner NCO:
Russkies abt 500 to 600 have advanced SE of Ylä-Lavajärvi lake towards the lake.
Russkies passed between Rauhasalo Btn and his command post. The Btn obviously continued in the previous direction while Rantasalo remained on the other side with some of his runners.
20.55hrs Report from III Btn:
“Russki patrol about 60 men in motti between Karhulampi and Siira road.”
20.50hrs Report from III Btn:
Abt. 2 Coys of Russkies broke through between Ptkälampi and Kivilampi.
According to a later report the said isthmus was reinforced with Survo Coy in addition to Toikka Coy.
The 60 Russki motti in Karhulampi terrain is according to a later report a 200 man motti. III Btn is engaged at this motti by 10.Coy and a Jaeger platoon.
21.00hrs I/JR45 (Ahi) was transported by trucks by Division order to JR4 to be used in counter-attack by S of Ylä-Lavajärvi to the Russki flank.
Present situation at Ylä-Lavajärvi a bit confused.
Rj.P.3 is almost scattered, without unified command in the terrain SE and S of Ylä-Lavajärvi.
Russki is exerting pressure with great forces both S and SE of Ylä-Lavajärvi.
23.00hrs Lt Heikkilä arrive in accordance with a previous order.
22.30hrs Report from I Btn:
“Russki shipping reinforcements ( judging by noises of lorries) along the main road.
Salonen/Olsson”
23.45hrs Report from I Btn:
“Forced by superior enemy Btn is withdrawing from the line Suurensuolampi – Dorogalampi.
Holopainen/Simelus”

9.7.44_
00.40hrs Written report via runner to D. CO. as the communications were cut off concerning Holopainen's withdrawal and Russki grouping.
01.20hrs Maj. Rautasalo was personally given the following order:
Receiving positions W of Lavajärvi village to be manned.
01.35hrs I/JR45 attack was initially successful but as some men were hit by our own minefields the attack was stalled.
01.50hrs Order to I/JR45, personallyl and orally:
Btn to disengage and move while delaying intensely to the istmus between lakes Vuortanajärvi and Pyhäjärvi.
Maj. Elomaa was ordered by Col.Simelíus to hold for now the delaying positions Ala-Lavajärvi – Ylä-Lavajärvi Ylä-Lavajärvi - Lökölampi.
01.35hrs Command post moved fron W shore of Ala-Lavajärvi to the side of Leppäsyrjä road and was there at 04.30hrs.
According to delayed report one tank destroyed (T-34)
Scrapped during the day: 4 pcs
3pcs (1 Klim and 2 T-34)
1pc mined.
03.00hrs Col. Simelíus handed over the delay front to Col. Kotilainen
Btns Elomaan and Rantasalo subjected to Kotilainen.
I/JR45 still subjected to JR4.
The Karhulampi motti that was created yesterday is according to as yet unverified information including abt 100 fallen Russkies, 2 prisoners taken.
08.00hrs Capt.Laakso (14./JR4 CO) wounded during the battle of I Btn. Lt. Saarinen took over the task of CO.
10.00hrs JR4 is at the moment including its own Btns and I/JR45, Er.P.18 and later 8.D Mortar Coy shall be subjected.
12.00hrs Maj. Ahi reported that he is in the ordered location.
13.30hrs Capt.Sajaniemi of Kev.Psto10 reported to Col. Simelíus as liaison officer.
He brought along the prisoners taken at Karhulampi motti.
13.30 Jaeger platoon runner arrived with report that LT. Rantala has been wounded by own mine (06.00) on the isthmus E of Pyhäjärvi
16.30hrs The prisoners taken at the Karhulampi motti told the following when interrogated in the Division:
Their unit is JR404/100.Guards D.
At the direction of the main road were attacking 2 Btns. III Btn, in which the men were included, was ordered to ouflank by N of Sääksjärvi but they took a wrong direction and ended up to the road N of Kotajärvi. Btn strenght 120 men.
(Footnote: 8.D order no. 816/III/201/(?)/9.7.44,appendix no.21)
Regiment has so far destroyed 10 tanks
7 pcs (6 psc T-34, 1 pc T-70) by 14.Coy, 2 pcs by III Btn (T-34) 1 pc by I Btn (T-34).
Taking into account the tanks destroyed by the subjected outfits so far a total of 28 tanks destroyed.
Russki air activities lively all day.
18.00hrs 2nd Lt.Orasvuo of 14.Coy returned from posting in 5.D troops, was acting there as the leader of an close range AT platoon made up of JR4 men
20.30hrs Russki launched an attack at the positions of I Btn.
21.00hrs Tanks were seen.
22.35hrs Report from Maj.Alm (AT )
“I Btn disengaged from the present positions due to Russki pressure. Next receiving position W of Kotajärvi lake at the Forest Guard house
23.00hrs I/JR45 liaison officer contacted JR4 to find out about our situation.
Capt. Ojajärvi, L. transferred fron HTK3 to III/JR4
Lt. Reinikainen transferred from EK/JR4 to III/JR4

To be continued . (10)

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 05 Feb 2017, 10:54

Like clockwork, another interesting installment!

In general in the Finnish army, how were the Panzerschrecks and Panzerfausts distributed among the units? Were the distributed to dedicated AT squads or did they make them available to squads in general?

Lotvonen

Post by Lotvonen » 06 Feb 2017, 08:13

JR4, HQ WD continued.
New diary Tulo 9104

10.7.44_
02.30hrs Maj. Ahi reported that he, having attempted to contact Btn Väänänen right to him he failed but instead found Russkies W of Vuortanajärvi.
Capt. Paananen reported this to 8.D HQ to Col.Pietarinen and Aki was permitted to withdraw to the narrowest spot of the isthmus between lakes Vuortanajärvi – Pyhäjärvi.
06.30hrs Drawing of the grouping of JR4 on 10.7. at 04.00hrs was sent to 8.D HQ .
06.45hrs Reported forn II Btn:
According to a radio message from I/JR45 Btn Ahi is retreating. They reported that they would be out of ammunition.
Tenho/Simelius
06.55hrs Col.Simelius reported this to Col.Lt. Pietarinen
06.58hrs Col. Simelius ordered Capt. Tenho to send an officer with some men to the “Tshasovna” to stop withdrawing men who probably were struck by panic.
7.Coy manning from Pyhäjärvi to Onkilampi shall be withdrawn, instead the Coy shall man (a line) fron the N tip of Pyhäjärvi to W, direction Tsajumäki
07.00hrs Maj. Holopainen was ordered to secure with Er.P.18 the section of 7.Coy
07.2ohrs Lts Lindman and Vainionmäki were ordered to go and arrest Ahi's men who were escaping to the Main defence line.
08.50hrs Report from I Btn:
Tanks showing up in front of our positions.
Holopainen/Simelius
09.15hrs At the moment one Coy of I/JR45 is on the hill Pt99 S of Katitsalampi, the rest on the Main defence line at Valkialampi
Btn Tenho manning the line Valkialampi – Matkalampi – Lomulampi.
09.30hrs Hannila reported that Russki could be in Korkeankangas (sic!) ENE of Uomaanlampi.
III Btn is securing the forest patches between Kimatsuo and Korkeakangas (sic!).
10.00hrs Maj. Pokkinen of 8.D GQ reported to Col. Simelius with an order from the D.
11.00hrs Col. Kotilainen visited Col. Simelius to agree on organising the grouping of the main defence line.
The neighbour to the left of the Rgt (7.D) grouping and front line location being unclear to us has III Btn patrolled E and NE but failed to find manning.
( Footnote:10.30hrs I/JR45 subjection to JR4 ended. )
Instead it has been found that a great number of Russkies is heading NW in the E forest isthmuses of Himatsuo.
12.30hrs Col Simelius phoned 7.D HQ and was told that the front line of 7.D was situated along the brook NW of Himatlampi up to the “hut” NNE of it. From there on NW to “i” in “Uuksunjoki”
- 8.D HQ could not provide data as to the details of the abovementioned line.
13.25hrs Report form 7.D to Col.Simelius: they are sending one platoon in the terrain of Himatlampi.
13.30hrs The abovementioned reported to III Btn.
Paarma/Hannila
15.00hrs Lt. Olsson set out to relay the Rgt order to I Btn and III Btn:
Rgt. Setting up defence line, right limit Kytsinjärvi – Valkiajärvi – Suuri-Niinilampi, W shore, Suurijärvi, E shore, left limit Maisula – Himatlampi – Rajalampi in Uomaa.
On the right JR45 and on the left JR9 that has set an unit to guard the seam (1 platoon) on the ridge E of Himatlampi.
Limit : W tip of Kaukojärvi – E shore of Valkamajärvi – E shore of Kiimajärvi – Saarijärvi-Joutsenjärvi.
(new page)
Reserve: I.Btn in the terrain S of Luotojärvi
Platoon/29.Tyk.K. Is subjected to II Btn.
Artillery: Arty Group Noko shall support the sector of the Rgt (II and III/ KTR11)
AT: 14.Coy Pz.Schrecks to be subjected : II Btn 4 Pz.Schrecks, I Btn 2 Pz.Schrecks and III Btn 1 Pz.Schreck.
III Btn at first acting as the frame manning of the entire sector. When the enemy shall attack with overwheming force I Btn and Er.P. 18 shall withdraw to the Main Defence line to reinforce it until ordered otherwise.
Ilater as II Btn shall have disengaged from the section of JR45, I Btn and ER.P.18 shall be relieved from the Main Defence line.
2./PionP.22 shall mine on the sector of the Rgt in front of foreposts and main defence line.
Order was received by Maj .Holopainen at 16.30hrs and 2nd Lt. Kaarna III Btn at 17.00hrs
18.50hrs Report to 8.D HQ:
Simelius/Pietarinen
I/JR45 in positions in the Main defence line
II/JR45 still engaged in changing the guard
19.20hrs Capt.Hannila reported that two Coys of II/JR45 have arrived at their future section.
19.40hrs Capt Väisänen 3./Pion.P.22 CO, reported and was instructed by the Commander on the future mining on the sector of the Rgt.
19.40hrs According to report from I Btn one 75mm gun fell in Russki hands.
(new page, still 10.7)
I Btn withdrawing from the Karhulampi delaying position.
Withdrawal caused by surprise Russki attack with two Coys against Toikka Coy left flank as he just was about to start a counter-attack on his righ flank which failed.
19.55hrs The abovementioned reported to 8.D HQ.
Simelius/Pietarinen
20.15hrs 8.D Co Gen.Maj. Kääriäinen and Col.Lt. Pietarinen on visit in the Rgt HQ to learn about the situation of the Rgt.
21.30hrs As Russki attacked the positions of II/JR45 they had to withdraw to the Main defence line and end the replacement with II/JR4.
The Gen. Ordered that the (20min earlier) planned widening of JR4 section to W is cancelled, instead Er.P18 (2 Coys only) shall immediately be transferred with lorries to help II/JR45 at Syskyjärvi.
22.00hrs Rgt. Command post was moved fron the Pyörittäjä road to the rear of Loimola-Uomaa crossroads terrain, abr 1km W of crossroads.

To be continued . (12)

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 06 Feb 2017, 18:06

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lotvonen

Post by Lotvonen » 08 Feb 2017, 08:38

Having problems with computer
JR4, HQ WD continued.
New diary Tulo 9104

05.30hrs Er.P.18 less 2 Coys subjection to JR4 ended.
(new page)
Last night replacements were receivedm 8 NCO + 61 men born 1904-1920
They were evenly distributed in Btns
07.30hrs Report from Capt. Hannila:
Russki managed to penetrate along Kiimajärvi -Saarijärvi isthmus to the E coast of Kiimajärvi. Counter-attack troops are being rallied.
09.30hrs Report from Capt. Hannila:
Russki bitten in the NE part of the isthmus. Our artillery is harassing them
09.45hrs Order to Lt.Heikkilä:
According to received information one Russki Rgt is advancing on our left flank to N. Must reconnoitre the place and number of this outfit. Patrol strenght 15 men. Recce mission is allowed to last several days.
06.55hrs Lt. Leppänen of 16.TykK: reported to Commander. Platoon subjected to JR4 . Their 2 pcs 75mm guns have been placed in position at Siira crossroads terrain
13.00hrs Maj. Voko, the CO of the artillery group supporting the sector of the Rgt moved next to the Command post.
13.45hrs Report from III Btn:
Lots of Russkies on the isthmus between lakes Kiimajärvi ad Saarijärvi. Requested artillery fire there.
14.00hrs Order to Maj. Holopainen:
Detach one Coy from Er.P.18 on your right and move it for the disposal of IIIBtn.
14.05hrs Report from I Btn via Capt. Tenho:
I Btn retreating due to hard pressure at 14.00 hrs latest.
14.15hrs Report from III Btn:
Fighting in process on the isthmus between lakes Kiimajärvi ad Saarijärvi, N side.
14.20hrs Col Simelius radioed order to Maj. Holopainen to retreat behind the Main defence line while delaying.
16.00hrs Situation report to 8.D HQ
Russki penetrated on the NE promontory of the isthmus between lakes Kiimajärvi and Saarijärvi .
Our artillery harassed them all day. Estimated enemy number on the isthmus one Coy.
Ar 15.00 hrs I Btn withdrew from the brook line behind the Main defence line, delaying.
One Coy of Er.P.18 remains subjected to II Btn and another to III Btn.
Olsson/K?
17.15hrs Maj Holopainen reported to Commander and recounted on the delay battles as follows:
Russki attacked at night after 02.00hrs two times and today after 10.00hrs five times. Btn losses in these battles about 20, most by shell splinters, 2 or 3 killed.
Russki have increased artillery during the past few days considerably and they are constantly shelling the front line and the rear along the road.
Our artillery fire in front of Btn was during the day minimal due to the battle on the isthmus between lakes Kiimajärvi ad Saarijärvi
18.00hrs Report from II Btn:
The last units of I Btn passed at 17.40hrs the Main defence line. Russki was immediately on their heels and was given the first blow on the spot by II Btn.
Both Coys of Er.P.18 that were to be transferred to the disposal of II and III Btns were posted by Div. Order on the sector of JR45.
Instead, today 5./JR4 shall return to their own Btn, relieving two 9.Coy platoons on this sector.
18.20hrs Report from III Btn:
Patrols have not been able to find the seam securing detachment set by JR9.
19.00hrs Rgt. Engineer platoon was posted on the sector of III Btn to field fortification work
20.00hrs Report from II Btn:
Two tanks rolled in front of our positons. Evicted by our artillery.
21.30hrs Russki “organ gun” barrage at the road.
22.30hrs Report from III Btn:
Russki patrol abt 2 platoons tried to penetrate patch of forest at pt. 112. Our securing repelled the patrol.
23.15hrs Order to reconnoitre received from 8.D HQ ( no.637/II/.../11.7.44)
concerning the future reconnoitring in the terrain of Uomaa- Varpajärvi. Order annexed to the war diary.
23.45hrs In accordance with the abovementioned order Lt Heikkilä + 16 men ser out from the Rgt. Command post. Crossing to the enemy rear at the section of II Btn not unti next night (12.7.)

To be continued . (14)

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”