Relations between Romanian and Finnish intelligence sevices

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Helen Shapira

Relations between Romanian and Finnish intelligence sevices

Post by Helen Shapira » 23 Jul 2014, 06:35

My father was officer at Romanian Abwehr Centre 1 Czenowitz and he spoke about relations between Romanian and Finnish intelligence sevices - my daughter studied in Helsinki and we went to visit General C.G. Mannerheim's home, now a museum. Are there any documents as i know about it only from family oral history, as well as I knew from my mother about Admiral Canaris.

Seppo Koivisto

Re: Relations between Romanian and Finnish intelligence sevi

Post by Seppo Koivisto » 25 Jul 2014, 12:27

I believe military attachés were members of the Abwehr. SA-kuva archive has few photos of a visit of Axis military attachés on the front in 1943. http://sa-kuva.fi/
The visit of German, Italian, Japanese, Hungarian and Romanian military attachés in the Uhtua direction, in front of the log cabin of Major General Fagernäs. (5 April 1943, SA-kuva 126307.)
(SA-kuva 126309)

The archive of Finnish Embassy in Bucharest seems to have a file FII:7a called "Exchange of information between Finnish and Romanian military attachés 1942-1942".
http://www.narc.fi:8080/VakkaWWW/Selaus ... =321434.KA

krimsonglass51

Post by krimsonglass51 » 26 Jul 2014, 04:41

Perhaps this might be ignorant of me to say, but although the Finns considered themselves to be waging a separate war from the Axis, it was fine to collaborate with their intelligence agencies?

peeved

Post by peeved » 26 Jul 2014, 09:34

krimsonglass51 wrote:Perhaps this might be ignorant of me to say, but although the Finns considered themselves to be waging a separate war from the Axis, it was fine to collaborate with their intelligence agencies?
I for one see no cause to object the exchange of intelligence between friendly countries during peace or war whether in the case of war the one country's attitude to the conflict the other is involved with is one of neutrality, co-belligerence, alliance or whatever. In fact intelligence co-operation appears most natural and desirable when the countries have a common enemy like Romania and Finland during the period in question.

Markus

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 26 Jul 2014, 21:18

Finns collaborated there with Swedes too.

Regards, Juha

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”