Panssarituhoojan risti?

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
sima_tetteke]

Panssarituhoojan risti?

Post by sima_tetteke] » 15 Feb 2016, 16:30

I happened to found "Panssarituhoojan risti" (under the photo) :o .
Panssarituhoojan risti.JPG
Panssarituhoojan risti.JPG (11.79 KiB) Viewed 2239 times
I know that the three kinds of Panssarituhoojan merkki(version 1944 and 1989, 1992). But, I didn't know this type.
This "Panssarituhoojan risti" reminds me of "Panssaridivisioonan risti ".

Does anyone know "Panssarituhoojan risti" ? 8O

Lotvonen

Re: Panssarituhoojan risti?

Post by Lotvonen » 16 Feb 2016, 07:32

The object in the pic looks like the "Panssaridivisioonan muistoristi" (Armour Division Memorial Cross) that could be had after the war by the ex-personnel of the Ps.D.

Only it is rotated 180deg and the pic is so cleverly clipped that the eyelet for the ribbon that should be in the cross arm pointing downwards is not visible.

Karelia

Post by Karelia » 16 Feb 2016, 09:54

I'm only aware of the one "panssarintuhoojan merkki" (tank destroyer badge) of 1944.
fi-tankdestruction1.jpg
fi-tankdestruction1.jpg (19.66 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
http://www.axishistory.com/axis-nations ... ge-finland

"While heavy fights raged on the front, all available means were taken to bolster anti-tank capability. One of those was tank destruction badge. Finnish General HQ published 28 June 44 this order:

TANK DESTRUCTION BADGE.

To raise skillful and brave tank destroyers and bolter their spirits to new feats in their demanding task, Field Marshal had desited that they will be given special badge for tank destruction.

Following regulations are followed when badge is given:

1. Badge for tank destruction is awarded to man who destroys tank with close quarter weapons or while acting as gunner to a gun.

Destruction of a tank with closequarter weapon can be happened for example shooting (example Panzerschreck, Panzerfaust, anti-tank rifle grenate), by throwing for example anti-tank handgrenate, satschelcharge, anti-tank mine), pulling or pushing (example slide mines), by placing an explosive to tank or by others similar actions but mines and others similar actions, which don't require immediate contact to enemy are not accepted as base for award.

2. Five classes of award are issued:
1 tank destroyed-one wide stripe with figure.
3 tanks destroyed-above figure stripe one narrow stripe without figure.
5 tanks destroyed-above figure stripe two narrow stripes without figure.
10 tanks destroyed-above figure stripe three narrow stripes without figure.
15 tanks destroyed-above figure stripe four narrow stripes without figure.

Wide stripe with figure is 7x3 cm white stripe with dark tank figure.
Wide stripe is sewed to right sleeve so that upper corner is 10cm below elbowseam, badge in the middle and narrow stripes above it with 0.5 cm distances.
Narrow stripes are 7x0.5 cm and white."

Karelia

Post by Karelia » 16 Feb 2016, 10:09

Lotvonen wrote:The object in the pic looks like the "Panssaridivisioonan muistoristi" (Armour Division Memorial Cross) that could be had after the war by the ex-personnel of the Ps.D.

Only it is rotated 180deg and the pic is so cleverly clipped that the eyelet for the ribbon that should be in the cross arm pointing downwards is not visible.
I thought so too, but possibly it is not that one - although very similar. See this link below with both crosses.

https://www.holmasto.fi/catalogue/135/?grp=28757

Could be some kind of after war unit cross, worn without any ribbon but instead fastened with a screw.

Karelia

Post by Karelia » 16 Feb 2016, 10:27

http://www.huuto.net/hakutulos/status/c ... tegory/255

This link says it's the unit cross of "panssariprikaatin panssarintorjuntakomppania" (AT Coy of the Armoured Brigade), but haven't been able to find any official site to confirm that.

sima_tetteke]

Post by sima_tetteke] » 16 Feb 2016, 17:11

Thank you for your many valuable ideas. :milsmile:
Lotvonen wrote:The object in the pic looks like the "Panssaridivisioonan muistoristi" (Armour Division Memorial Cross) that could be had after the war by the ex-personnel of the Ps.D.
Karelia wrote:Could be some kind of after war unit cross, worn without any ribbon but instead fastened with a screw.
I think so too.

According to the book "SUOMEN KUNNIAMERKIT by Jani Tiainen" , Stamped ""Sporrong"" or ""Rahapaja Insignia"" on the reverse of the crosses is the new model manufactured in the 1970~1990s! :o Conversely, ""Veljekset Sundqvist"" or ""Hopeateos"" can be see ealry type.

In conclusion, I think that this badge is "Panssaridivisioonan muistoristi later model" .
s_sporrong.JPG
s_sporrong.JPG (25.16 KiB) Viewed 2141 times

Esa Muikku

Post by Esa Muikku » 17 Feb 2016, 22:00

No! That IS the AT Coy cross as it is totally black/grey. The Memorial Cross of Armoured Division has more colors (gold yellow & green insignia of Armoured Division in the middle, golden edges in the cross). Besides, as written earlier, AT Coy Cross was fastened with a screw to the right and AD Memorial Cross was carried with a ribbon on the left. That is the reason for different directions of arrows.

Karelia

Post by Karelia » 18 Feb 2016, 03:46

Interesting, thanks Esa!

When was this cross issued and who were/are allowed to wear it?

sima_tetteke]

Post by sima_tetteke] » 18 Feb 2016, 10:30

Esa Muikku wrote:No! That IS the AT Coy cross as it is totally black/grey.
Thank you for Information, Esa!!
Karelia wrote:When was this cross issued and who were/are allowed to wear it?
I also want to know.

adam7

Post by adam7 » 06 Mar 2016, 02:47

Karelia wrote:I'm only aware of the one "panssarintuhoojan merkki" (tank destroyer badge) of 1944.
http://www.axishistory.com/axis-nations ... ge-finland

"While heavy fights raged on the front, all available means were taken to bolster anti-tank capability. One of those was tank destruction badge. Finnish General HQ published 28 June 44 this order:

TANK DESTRUCTION BADGE.

To raise skillful and brave tank destroyers and bolter their spirits to new feats in their demanding task, Field Marshal had desited that they will be given special badge for tank destruction.
Interesting to see the badge.

A lot later anti tank personell wore a similar badge, which clearly has its origins in the war time merit badge.
2302_big-500x500.jpg
2302_big-500x500.jpg (74.66 KiB) Viewed 1768 times

nypy

Post by nypy » 21 Dec 2022, 21:40

"Panssarintuhoojan risti
(Panssarintorjuntakomppanian risti),
keskuskuviona kolminuolitunnus, ristin reunat pronssin väriset, vahvistettu
6.5.1981 "

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... +tunnukset

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”