Handheld AT weapons

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
subskipper

Handheld AT weapons

Post by subskipper » 05 Feb 2017, 13:24

I'll move this out here from another thread for a general discussion.

In general in the Finnish army, how were the Panzerschrecks and Panzerfausts distributed among the units? Were the distributed to dedicated AT squads or did they make them available to squads in general?

What kind of field training was issued when these were handed out in -44? Obviously they were sorely needed and I specifically remember my grandfather talking of ambush tactics when referring to Fausts and Schrecks (ie first and last vehicle in column in "motti" lock-in of the in between vehicles).

Mangrove

Re: Handheld AT weapons

Post by Mangrove » 05 Feb 2017, 15:50

Henric Edwards wrote: In general in the Finnish army, how were the Panzerschrecks and Panzerfausts distributed among the units? Were the distributed to dedicated AT squads or did they make them available to squads in general?
At first the weapons were handed almost randomly to the infantry units. During late June 1944, special anti-tank units (usually called "Erillinen panssarintorjuntaosasto") were formed to the infantry divisions according to an order given by Päämaja.

Here's some statistical information regarding the amount of Panzerfausts distributed to the troops during 1944:
- Panzerfaust 30, Klein
- Panzerfaust 30
Henric Edwards wrote: What kind of field training was issued when these were handed out in -44? Obviously they were sorely needed and I specifically remember my grandfather talking of ambush tactics when referring to Fausts and Schrecks (ie first and last vehicle in column in "motti" lock-in of the in between vehicles).
There was no formal training among front line troops during the first weeks of June 1944. Based on documents, memoirs and photographs, it was quite common for the soldiers to study the weapons by themselves in small groups with a person who could read the German instructions. Starting at the beginning of July, official courses were held in the infantry companies and battalions. Also, a Finnish translation of the German operating manuals was distributed among the troops at this time.

SA-Kuva 153733 (cropped). 19 June 1944. "Studying the new anti-tank weapons at Kivennapa".

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 05 Feb 2017, 16:27

Brilliant Mangrove! The guy on the left looks suitably impressed. :) Must have been a real boost to morale to know that they finally had something very effective and relatively easy to operate to handle the Russian tanks.

Are there any numbers regarding Russian tanks knocked out with handheld infantry AT weapons during the Continuation War? More specifically for the retreat period on the Aunus Isthmus of June-July of -44?

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove » 08 Feb 2017, 18:58

Henric Edwards wrote: Are there any numbers regarding Russian tanks knocked out with handheld infantry AT weapons during the Continuation War? More specifically for the retreat period on the Aunus Isthmus of June-July of -44?
I couldn't find any studies, but Liikanen mentions on his book "Panssarinmurskaajat" (without a source) that 260 soldiers were awarded for destroying 363 armours between 1 June and 19 September 1944. The figures contains all claims made using tanks, assault guns, anti-tank guns and hand-held anti-tank weapons. However, it doesn't contain the armours destroyed by soldiers who died shortly after without being nominated for the tank destruction badge ("panssarintuhoojan merkki"). Armoured vehicles destroyed more than 100 enemy armours and anti-tank guns about the same (with Ilomäki alone claiming 21).

Based on the above figures, it could be estimated that the hand-held anti-tank weapons were involved in more than 150 armour kill claims during the summer of 1944.

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 08 Feb 2017, 21:29

Thanks! I so wish that more Finnish sources were made available in English or Swedish. My efforts at learning the language is progressing very slowly. :)

Seppo Koivisto

Post by Seppo Koivisto » 09 Feb 2017, 00:20

According to an article in Sotaveteraani 3/2014, the 14th Company of JR7 destroyed 38 to 43 tanks with close combat weapons, after it had given away 45 mm guns.

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 09 Feb 2017, 20:04

Seppo Koivisto wrote:According to an article in Sotaveteraani 3/2014, the 14th Company of JR7 destroyed 38 to 43 tanks with close combat weapons, after it had given away 45 mm guns.
That's impressive to say the least. Even if the numbers could be off, they obviously did some damage!

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”