305mm coastal guns/Continuation War

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
mfy4444

305mm coastal guns/Continuation War

Post by mfy4444 » 24 Mar 2017, 16:46

Hello all. I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. At the start of the Continuation War, is it true that the only 305mm guns protecting Helsinki were the two-gun turret on Kuivasaari? The two single 305mm turrets on Ristiniemi cape had been destroyed during Winter War and not replaced, so those two 305mm guns were no longer operational by June 1941, correct? And the new turrets under construction on Isosaari were not completed before the Continuation War ended? Is this all correct? I assume then that only six 305mm Obukhov guns were in place for the coastal artillery at the start of the Continuation War (two at Oro, two at Makiluoto, and two at Kuivasaari)?

Thanks for any confirmation

Regards

Mike Yaklich

JTV

Re: 305mm coastal guns/Continuation War

Post by JTV » 25 Mar 2017, 07:04

mfy4444 wrote:Hello all. I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. At the start of the Continuation War, is it true that the only 305mm guns protecting Helsinki were the two-gun turret on Kuivasaari? The two single 305mm turrets on Ristiniemi cape had been destroyed during Winter War and not replaced, so those two 305mm guns were no longer operational by June 1941, correct? And the new turrets under construction on Isosaari were not completed before the Continuation War ended? Is this all correct? I assume then that only six 305mm Obukhov guns were in place for the coastal artillery at the start of the Continuation War (two at Oro, two at Makiluoto, and two at Kuivasaari)?
Hi Mike. Yes - that is pretty much the situation at it was at that time. Only notable correction to that is that Mäkiluoto 305-mm turret was protecting Helsinki as well, since its guns covered south-west and partially also southern approach. Also, if we are talking about coastal artillery units protecting Helsinki in general, it is worth noting that there were also numerous other super-heavy coastal artillery batteries protecting Helsinki, but they were equipped with old 254/45 D guns.

Jarkko

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”