Danish Officers in Finnish service - unknown headgear etc.

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Claes Johansen

Danish Officers in Finnish service - unknown headgear etc.

Post by Claes Johansen » 16 Apr 2017, 16:27

I just came across this photograph of three Danish officers in Finnish service during the Winter War. The picture is from the training camp in Oulu. I wonder where their caps originate from - perhaps the Finnish Civil Guard? They seem to be the same kind of caps that the two Hakala brothers are wearing at the beginning of the film version of Antti Tuuri's novel Talvisota - otherwise I don't think I've ever seen that model.

Likewise, the cartridge pouch worn by the officer on the left makes me wonder about its origin. Looks Swedish to me, as does the heavy sheepskin coat worn by the officer on the right.
Attachments
a_335.jpg
a_335.jpg (47.48 KiB) Viewed 992 times
Ystävällesin terveisin, the Tanskalainen

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Re: Danish Officers in Finnish service - unknown headgear etc.

Post by Juha Tompuri » 16 Apr 2017, 18:48

Claes Johansen wrote:I just came across this photograph of three Danish officers in Finnish service during the Winter War. The picture is from the training camp in Oulu. I wonder where their caps originate from - perhaps the Finnish Civil Guard? They seem to be the same kind of caps that the two Hakala brothers are wearing at the beginning of the film version of Antti Tuuri's novel Talvisota - otherwise I don't think I've ever seen that model.
Might be Swedish origin (Skids)Mössa m/1939?
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=206524

Regards, Juha

Claes Johansen

Post by Claes Johansen » 16 Apr 2017, 21:06

Thanks, Juha. Looks like that might be it.

I wonder why the Hakala brothers are wearing similar hats, though. Might just be a mistake by the film makers. Or perhaps I remember wrong. I don't have that DVD with me at the moment and the full version no longer seems to be on YouTube.

The cartridge pouch seems to be identical to the one used by the Danforce unit (Den danske Brigade), trained in Sweden during 1943-45. Much of their equipment was Swedish, which is why I believe this to be Swedish, also. (Such equipment often popped up in army surplus stores in Denmark during the 1970s.)

There is a PDF here showing Danforce equipment. The mentioned cartridge pouch can be found on p. 9:

http://www.chakoten.dk/Den%20Danske%20B ... stning.pdf

Fliegende Untertasse

Post by Fliegende Untertasse » 18 Apr 2017, 16:40

Claes Johansen wrote:
I wonder why the Hakala brothers are wearing similar hats, though.
They were Finnish m/27
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/86453498

Claes Johansen

Post by Claes Johansen » 18 Apr 2017, 17:56

Thanks. Mystery solved!

I pity the poor soldier in the picture, though. Reminds me of an old joke people used to have about the Danish Army. It said there were only two sizes of uniforms: Too Large and Much Too Large.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”