before the Battle of Tali-Ihantala

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
alpinoinMT

before the Battle of Tali-Ihantala

Post by alpinoinMT » 02 Nov 2017, 18:15

Before the Battle of Tali-Ihantala, I can vaguely remember, but in no detail, that certain Sissi (?) units went far behind Soviet lines & took out some large Soviet artillery ammunition depots, that helped cripple the Soviet Offensive & eventually helped in a Finnish success.

Can anyone clue me in on a bit of this history - the units & how successful were they?

I blame all loss of memory on IEDs not old age, or Jack Daniels.

Thanks-Kiitos
a reporter once asked me, after an awards ceremony
"are purple hearts for soldiers & bronze stars for officers?'

Mangrove

Re: before the Battle of Tali-Ihantala

Post by Mangrove » 02 Nov 2017, 18:52

alpinoinMT wrote: Can anyone clue me in on a bit of this history - the units & how successful were they?
The only long-range patrols behind Soviet lines at the Karelian Isthmus before and during the Battle of Tali-Ihantala were some few men strong "Matti" patrols from I/Er.P 4. Having read patrol reports from this time period, I can't remember seeing any reports of destroyed ammunition depots. Also, the patrols didn't operate near Tali-Ihantala.

Caselius

Post by Caselius » 02 Nov 2017, 21:20

I've personally only heard of such action attributed to the Finnish long range patrols at Battle of Ilomantsi, most notably Lt. Heikki Nykänen and his patrol on the north side of Vegarusjärvi (2.8 - 14.8) which gathered information and attacked Soviet supply columns.

I managed to find a public master's thesis about the reconnaissance at Ilomantsi by a National Defence University Cadet, however it is in Finnish.

alpinoinMT

Post by alpinoinMT » 04 Nov 2017, 15:39

Thank you Caselius, it was the Battle of Ilomantsi, a convoy of 30 Soviet trucks carrying artillery rounds was destroyed, which added greatly to the Soviet failures in this battle.

There is a personal account here on this action, on this site, not a Masters thesis however
a reporter once asked me, after an awards ceremony
"are purple hearts for soldiers & bronze stars for officers?'

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”