Symbolism of trench art

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Rene385273

Symbolism of trench art

Post by Rene385273 » 11 Nov 2017, 15:44

Dear members,

Previously on this forum, I asked for help with a translation of the signature on this exact piece of trench art. Unfortunately, unsuccessful. Now I inquire and search help about something else.

I have through a friend of mine bought this piece, which has since been donated away as a present of whom has Finland close at heart. Therefore, I am no longer in position of it, and therefore can’t supply with better images. Therefore, images are from when it was purchased.

Upon the donation to the new owner, we talked about what this exact piece of trench art was symbolizing?

It presents a bear who holds something that reminds of a block. On the block is a sunrise drawn.
Next to the bear is another block with the year “1942” is engraved. On the backside of this “Kannas” is written. The block has a tip top (bit pointy, like a rooftop).
The bottom itself is shaped like a heart with symbols on the side.

My question is now:
What do You think the symbolism is with this exact piece of trench art? What has been the mind behind the individual when he made this?

I am looking forward to hear what you Members think of the symbolism of the heart, bear, sunrise, blocks, etc.

I hope to get closer to a conclusion.

Thanks in advance - and thank you for a great Finnish forum.
/René
Attachments
3.png
2.png
1.png

Swing

Re: Symbolism of trench art

Post by Swing » 11 Nov 2017, 20:04

The bear is an ancient symbol of Karelia. Standing bear is on Karelian coat of arms by A. Gallen-Kallela (1920). Therefore, bear is one of the most popular subjects in the trench art. I have dozen different bears in my collection (accordion player, flag-bearer, etc). As a rule, they are marked «Kannas» or «Itä-Karjala». Sometimes name of local place of manufacturing is indicated too.
In your case trench art item is ashtray. Right block is a matchbox bracket.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”