Question on how WWII is taught in schools

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
krimsonglass51

Question on how WWII is taught in schools

Post by krimsonglass51 » 09 Dec 2017, 20:05

I was curious as to how WWII is taught in the public education system. Particularly, Finland’s connection to the rest of the war.
Although terms such as Winter War, Continuation War, and Lapland War are used, I assume educational publications still acknowledge them as part of WWII?

For example, in American textbooks and encyclopedias, America’s role is always emphasized, but the major battles and events in Euope and Asia/the Pacific are always mentioned. Also, while maps often listed Finland as an Axis power, a few recent texts have corrected that and listed them as a co-belligerent.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Re: Question on how WWII is taught in schools

Post by Juha Tompuri » 09 Dec 2017, 23:32

A couple of years ago at Finnish high school/college history education Winter War, Continuation War and Lapland War were not directly mentioned to have been part of WWII, but indirectly (some maps and diagrams) it is mentioned.

At the books, the wars are presented about as following:

Prelude to Winter War 3 pages
Winter War 6 pages
Interim Peace 5 pages
Continuation War 9 pages
Both Wars together 5 pages
Lapland War 0,5 pages

Prelude to WWII 5 pages
WWII Europe ca.14 pages
WWII Asia/Pacific ca. 2,5 pages

Regards, Juha

Seppo Koivisto

Post by Seppo Koivisto » 10 Dec 2017, 22:12

For example in the history book for 8th grade from 2014 the Chapter 9, Between East and West - Finland in the Second World War, starts with the line "Finland got involved in WW2 when the Soviet Union attacked over the eastern border with massive force with the purpose, non the less than to conquer Finland."

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 11 Dec 2017, 00:37

I don't know about public schools, I graduated in 1969. However, it might hearten you all to know that the WWII class at Purdue was always fully subscribed the day it opened for registration. We always used a hall with 500 seats. So, some folks are learning about this war at the college level.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

alpinoinMT

Post by alpinoinMT » 16 Jan 2020, 05:22

every time I post it happens twice
Last edited by alpinoinMT on 16 Jan 2020, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.
a reporter once asked me, after an awards ceremony
"are purple hearts for soldiers & bronze stars for officers?'

alpinoinMT

Post by alpinoinMT » 16 Jan 2020, 05:25

I've taught high school history - World & US & Montana - since 1995, with a couple years off in various shitholes like Iraq, infantry & all that.
I very much teach Finland's amazing story in WW2, starting with the Molotov-VonRibbentrop Pact and the Winter War
The later in regards to the odds, the combat [kids love how the Molotov cocktail was named] & 1. lessons taught to the Soviets regarding winter warfare 2. how Hitler was encouraged by Russia's poor performance. I discuss with my students that Finland was a democracy, & the it was no small thing allying with Germany, to beware of a nation that loves to ski & shoot, the motti, how the SMG [a major new weapon of WW2] went from a police weapon an infantry one, & if you take out field kitchens in mid-Winter the machine shuts down. That in the end, Finland was wise/clever enough to be the only Axis nation to not suffer total defeat, but a loss of 11% of its territory.
And that ONLY Suomi repaid US loans after WW1 & WW2.

We look at the major events of course - Stalingrad, Kursk, Midway, why Iwo Jima, code breaking, about the Native Code talkers [Crow from MT in the 8th AAF] Eight Norwegian commandoes saving the world =) young women parachuting alone into France to spy on the Nazis, the ones with radios getting triangulated & the ones with pigeons not. We have a lot of fun, it is the best job in the world. We start with the Industrial Age, Imperialism & soon enough the 20th Century's WW1 [why there are 200 nuclear ICBMs in MT & why 911 happened]
because all the Egyptians gave us was beer.
a reporter once asked me, after an awards ceremony
"are purple hearts for soldiers & bronze stars for officers?'

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”