Svenska frivilligkåren TO&E

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
User avatar
Panssari Salama
Member
Posts: 440
Joined: 03 Feb 2010 17:42

Svenska frivilligkåren TO&E

Post by Panssari Salama » 30 Dec 2017 08:46

I was interested to compare the Winter War Finnish TO&E to that of the Svenska frivilligkåren (Swedish Volunteer Corps). However, seems there's readily available only Company level information on SFK.

So how about we try to put them together here?

Here's what both the English (formation names in Swedish there as well) and Swedish Wiki page has on them:

Swedish Volunteer Corps - Svenska Frivilligkåren

I. stridsgruppen (Överstelöjtnant Magnus Dyrssen, kapten Carl Bonde, överstelöjtnant Carl-Oscar Agell)
1. skyttekompaniet
2. skyttekompaniet
3. skyttekompaniet
4. jägarkompaniet
5. tunga kompaniet
1. batteriet
1. plogplutonen
1. signalplutonen

II. stridsgruppen (Överstelöjtnant Viking Tamm)
1. skyttekompaniet
2. skyttekompaniet
3. skyttekompaniet
4. jägarkompaniet
5. tunga kompaniet
2. batteriet
2. plogplutonen
2. signalplutonen

III. stridsgruppen (Överstelöjtnant Martin Ekström)
1. skyttekompaniet
2. skyttekompaniet
3. skyttekompaniet
4. jägarkompaniet
5. tunga kompaniet
3. batteriet
3. plogplutonen
3. signalplutonen

Other units:
1. pansarvärnsplutonen
2. pansarvärnsplutonen
Luftvärnskompaniet
Ingenjörkompaniet
16. självständiga jägarkompaniet
(17. självständiga jägarkompaniet)
Intendenturkompaniet
Vägkompaniet
1. bilkompaniet
2. bilkompaniet
Anspannskompaniet
1. sjukvårdsplutonen
2. sjukvårdsplutonen
Hästambulans
Ambulans
F 19

Weapons
7.5 cm Guns M/02
40mm Anti Aircraft Guns M/36
7.5 cm Anti Aircraft guns
20mm Automatic Cannons
3.7 cm Anti Tank guns M/38
8 cm Mortars M/29
13mm Anti Tank Rifles

Vehicles
83 Motorcycles
83 Cars
350 Trucks
13 Tractors
Panssari Salama - Paying homage to Avalon Hill PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader board games from those fab '70s.

User avatar
Panssari Salama
Member
Posts: 440
Joined: 03 Feb 2010 17:42

Re: Svenska frivilligkåren TO&E

Post by Panssari Salama » 30 Dec 2017 08:50

Taking this to details, I'd like to understand the composition of the various Company and Platoon level organisations there.

What was the composition of a SFK Rifle Company, and a Jaeger Company? What was the composition of their Weapons Company (Tunga Kompaniet). And so forth?

Would be interesting to be able to have a TO&E available in detail similar to Jaegerplatoon.net Finnish Winter War TO&E, to understand the little differences both nations had in their formations.

Also it would be rather interesting to compare, how a properly equipped formation (as I assume SFK was) differs for instance at Squad level as what types of weapons were available to them, in comparison to the November 1939 era Finnish squads and platoons!

Any and all pointers for further information appreciated :milsmile:
Panssari Salama - Paying homage to Avalon Hill PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader board games from those fab '70s.

User avatar
Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff
Posts: 11432
Joined: 11 Sep 2002 20:02
Location: Mylsä

Re: Svenska frivilligkåren TO&E

Post by Juha Tompuri » 30 Dec 2017 09:49

Some small details and personal stories can be found here:
http://runeberg.org/osterled/
https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic ... 2464&hilit

Regards, Juha

John T
Member
Posts: 1153
Joined: 31 Jan 2003 22:38
Location: Stockholm,Sweden

Re: Svenska frivilligkåren TO&E

Post by John T » 30 Dec 2017 11:54

Panssari Salama wrote: What was the composition of a SFK Rifle Company, and a Jaeger Company? What was the composition of their Weapons Company (Tunga Kompaniet).
The difference was that a Swedish "Skytte kompani" was created before you could trust radios, so the company had 2 HMG's and a 8cm mortar.
this was a bit cumbersome to move trough terrain so the Jaeger company where the batalions recon force without the heavy weapons.

Note that SFK was way ahead of Swedish standard organizarion.
Panssari Salama wrote:
Any and all pointers for further information appreciated :milsmile:
We had this one up on the Swedish forum a couple adays ago.
http://forum.skalman.nu/viewtopic.php?f ... 1&start=15


SFK Skyttekompani:
248 men, 27 motorvehicles,20 horses and sleds, 10 dogs with sleds
..stab
..3 skyttepluoner
....3 rifle squads
......10 men 1 BAR,1 SMG and 8 rifles
....pansarvärnsgrupp(AT-squad)
......10 men 2 Boys AT rifles and 8 rifles
..Support (Tent, cooking etcetera)

SFK Jägarkompani:
168 men, 15 horses and sleds, 10 dogs with sleds
..stab
..3 jägarpluoner
....4 rifle squads
......10 men 1 BAR(*),1 SMG and 8 Carbines
..Heavy troop (half platoon)
......4 BAR & 3 Boys AT rifles ? men
..Support (Tent, cooking etcetera)


* BAR = Browning Automatic Rifle,
SFK used the Swedish built kg m/21

Source for the TOE Von Schmidt-Laussitz "För Finlands Frihet"

To be continued..
Last edited by John T on 31 Dec 2017 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Panssari Salama
Member
Posts: 440
Joined: 03 Feb 2010 17:42

Re: Svenska frivilligkåren TO&E

Post by Panssari Salama » 30 Dec 2017 12:43

:thumbsup: Oh, this is most excellent, thank you in advance!
Panssari Salama - Paying homage to Avalon Hill PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader board games from those fab '70s.

User avatar
Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff
Posts: 11432
Joined: 11 Sep 2002 20:02
Location: Mylsä

Re: Svenska frivilligkåren TO&E

Post by Juha Tompuri » 30 Dec 2017 14:18

John T wrote:SFK used the Swedish built kg m/37 a slightly modified Fabrique National "Model D" with quick exchange barrels
Might (also) be the Kg m/21?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
JTV
Member
Posts: 1929
Joined: 11 Mar 2002 10:03
Location: Finland

Re: Svenska frivilligkåren TO&E

Post by JTV » 31 Dec 2017 08:37

Juha Tompuri wrote:
John T wrote:SFK used the Swedish built kg m/37 a slightly modified Fabrique National "Model D" with quick exchange barrels
Might (also) be the Kg m/21?
Correct - the light machineguns were Kg m/21, which is the older version of Swedish BAR. SFK had 204 of those in its inventory and left them to Finnish military after the war. Kg m/37 were not used in Finland.

Other SFK small arms included:
- Rifles: Swedish 6.5mm infantry rifle m/96 (about 7,900 pcs) and 6.5mm carbine m/94-14 (about 1,000 pcs).
- Pistols: 9 mm FN m/03 and 9 mm Husqvarna m/07 (license-produced FN m/03). Total number about 860 pcs.
- Medium machineguns: Swedish Ksp m/41 aka 6.5mm (Schwarzlose) machinegun m/14. Total number about 40 pcs.
- Sub machineguns: Finnish 9mm Suomi m/31.
- Antitank-rifles: British 13.9mm Boys m/37, total number 30 pcs.

Jarkko

User avatar
Panssari Salama
Member
Posts: 440
Joined: 03 Feb 2010 17:42

Re: Svenska frivilligkåren TO&E

Post by Panssari Salama » 31 Dec 2017 14:57

Thanks Jarkko!

Come to think, a page for Frivilligkåren would make a terrific addition to Jaegerplatoon.net, wouldn't they?

Hint hint wink wink :milwink:
Panssari Salama - Paying homage to Avalon Hill PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader board games from those fab '70s.

User avatar
JTV
Member
Posts: 1929
Joined: 11 Mar 2002 10:03
Location: Finland

Re: Svenska frivilligkåren TO&E

Post by JTV » 31 Dec 2017 19:50

Panssari Salama wrote: Come to think, a page for Frivilligkåren would make a terrific addition to Jaegerplatoon.net, wouldn't they?
Well - I have tried keeping the TO&E section of website as general as possible to cover the standard unit types, but I take that into consideration.

In case at least somebody is wondering what the website will have next I am in middle writing rather massive (33 pages A4 and going - and that is without any tables, photos etc...) new section about Finnish uniforms. And not just Army uniforms, but all service branches, Civil Guard etc... Original plan was to get at least some parts ready by this month, but there is so much stuff I probably have to add it in several batches. The updates will also cover everything from headgear to boots.

Jarkko

User avatar
Panssari Salama
Member
Posts: 440
Joined: 03 Feb 2010 17:42

Re: Svenska frivilligkåren TO&E

Post by Panssari Salama » 07 Jan 2018 16:09

Hello John T

I have a question about the Heavy company (Tunga Kompaniet):
John T wrote:
Panssari Salama wrote: What was the composition of a SFK Rifle Company, and a Jaeger Company? What was the composition of their Weapons Company (Tunga Kompaniet).
The difference was that a Swedish "Skytte kompani" was created before you could trust radios, so the company had 2 HMG's and a 8cm mortar.
this was a bit cumbersome to move trough terrain so the Jaeger company where the batalions recon force without the heavy weapons.

Note that SFK was way ahead of Swedish standard organizarion.
Is that a Heavy platoon you describe above (2 x HMG and 1 x 8cm mortar)?

Then, a Heavy company would have 3 such platoons, one per each of the Rifle platoons, but not for the Jaeger company?

For instance, here the 5. Heavy company cold deploy a Heavy platoon in support of each of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Rifle company (but not for 4. Jaeger company):

I. stridsgruppen (Överstelöjtnant Magnus Dyrssen, kapten Carl Bonde, överstelöjtnant Carl-Oscar Agell)
1. skyttekompaniet
2. skyttekompaniet
3. skyttekompaniet
4. jägarkompaniet
5. tunga kompaniet
1. batteriet
1. plogplutonen
1. signalplutonen
Panssari Salama - Paying homage to Avalon Hill PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader board games from those fab '70s.

John T
Member
Posts: 1153
Joined: 31 Jan 2003 22:38
Location: Stockholm,Sweden

Re: Svenska frivilligkåren TO&E

Post by John T » 07 Oct 2018 11:37

John T wrote:
30 Dec 2017 11:54
To be continued..
Took some time
Below is the only ToE I have found to date.
This is the expected need to train 1026 men in first column, second column is just times 4
I think it's safe to say that the term "used to train" is similar as ToE strength, and then you add replacements for the actual total need.

The top of the list says according to Kbr 9/2 1940 - and that is the Royal Command (Kungligt BRev) - Actally it means a Cabinet decision.
And was the formal Govermental approval of delivering arms for the extention of SFK.

A try to check this with the previous data:
-------------------------
Something like:
  • 3 inf coys a 248 men =744
  • Jaeger Coy 163
907 men

Heavy coy with
  • .. ? men
  • .. 2 At guns
  • .. 2 8cm mortars
  • .. 4 Hvy Machineguns


+ Bn Support
= 1026 men
-------------------------


Or in total:
  • 477 Rifles
  • 183 Carbines
  • 50 Bar
  • 50 SMG
  • 266 Pistols
  • 10 Machineguns
  • 5 8cm Mortars
  • 2 37mm Antitank guns


This list isn't the full truth -
The full complement of Pistols where recieved after the armistice, ( I got the serial numbers of each of 1000 guns returned the Army)
Pistols where replaced with Rifles

The number of Submachine guns AFAIK, SFK used finnish m/31 Suomi 9mm Parabellum, not the Swedish 9mm Browning long.

And no mentioning of Boys or Madsens

SFK_TrainingEqp1_IMG_2438.jpg
SFK_TrainingEqp2_IMG_2439.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John T on 07 Oct 2018 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

John T
Member
Posts: 1153
Joined: 31 Jan 2003 22:38
Location: Stockholm,Sweden

Re: Svenska frivilligkåren TO&E

Post by John T » 07 Oct 2018 11:41

Panssari Salama wrote:
07 Jan 2018 16:09
Hello John T

I have a question about the Heavy company (Tunga Kompaniet):
John T wrote:
Panssari Salama wrote: What was the composition of a SFK Rifle Company, and a Jaeger Company? What was the composition of their Weapons Company (Tunga Kompaniet).
The difference was that a Swedish "Skytte kompani" was created before you could trust radios, so the company had 2 HMG's and a 8cm mortar.
this was a bit cumbersome to move trough terrain so the Jaeger company where the batalions recon force without the heavy weapons.

Note that SFK was way ahead of Swedish standard organizarion.
Is that a Heavy platoon you describe above (2 x HMG and 1 x 8cm mortar)?

Then, a Heavy company would have 3 such platoons, one per each of the Rifle platoons, but not for the Jaeger company?

For instance, here the 5. Heavy company cold deploy a Heavy platoon in support of each of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Rifle company (but not for 4. Jaeger company):

I. stridsgruppen (Överstelöjtnant Magnus Dyrssen, kapten Carl Bonde, överstelöjtnant Carl-Oscar Agell)
1. skyttekompaniet
2. skyttekompaniet
3. skyttekompaniet
4. jägarkompaniet
5. tunga kompaniet
1. batteriet
1. plogplutonen
1. signalplutonen
No the Rifle companies had their own heavy weapons (2 HMG, 1 Mortar) and the Heavy company
was the battalion commanders to attach to the companies, or held in reserve.

User avatar
Panssari Salama
Member
Posts: 440
Joined: 03 Feb 2010 17:42

Re: Svenska frivilligkåren TO&E

Post by Panssari Salama » 07 Oct 2018 14:29

John T wrote:
07 Oct 2018 11:41
No the Rifle companies had their own heavy weapons (2 HMG, 1 Mortar) and the Heavy company
was the battalion commanders to attach to the companies, or held in reserve.
Thank you again John. Let me make sure I read you correctly. You posted earlier:
SFK Skyttekompani:
248 men, 27 motorvehicles,20 horses and sleds, 10 dogs with sleds
..stab
..3 skyttepluoner
....3 rifle squads
......10 men 1 BAR,1 SMG and 8 rifles
....pansarvärnsgrupp(AT-squad)
......10 men 2 Boys AT rifles and 8 rifles
..Support (Tent, cooking etcetera)
Are you saying in addition to this, there would be a sort of a support platoon to each Skyttekompani, with said 2*HMG and 1*Mortar?
Panssari Salama - Paying homage to Avalon Hill PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader board games from those fab '70s.

User avatar
Panssari Salama
Member
Posts: 440
Joined: 03 Feb 2010 17:42

Re: Svenska frivilligkåren TO&E

Post by Panssari Salama » 07 Oct 2018 14:31

John T wrote:
07 Oct 2018 11:41
No the Rifle companies had their own heavy weapons (2 HMG, 1 Mortar) and the Heavy company
was the battalion commanders to attach to the companies, or held in reserve.
The said Heavy Company is this:
Heavy coy with
.. ? men
.. 2 At guns
.. 2 8cm mortars
.. 4 Hvy Machineguns
... so roughly speaking, an Anti-tank platoon (section), a Mortar platoon (section), and an HMG platoon. Is that right?
Panssari Salama - Paying homage to Avalon Hill PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader board games from those fab '70s.

John T
Member
Posts: 1153
Joined: 31 Jan 2003 22:38
Location: Stockholm,Sweden

Re: Svenska frivilligkåren TO&E

Post by John T » 07 Oct 2018 17:43

Panssari Salama wrote:
07 Oct 2018 14:29
John T wrote:
07 Oct 2018 11:41
No the Rifle companies had their own heavy weapons (2 HMG, 1 Mortar) and the Heavy company
was the battalion commanders to attach to the companies, or held in reserve.
Thank you again John. Let me make sure I read you correctly. You posted earlier:
Sorry now I see my error.
Sad thing it isn't enough to read what I write, you have to see what I omit. :oops:
My only excuse is that the organization is described in text and the heavy platoon comes after the description of the squad composition.

Panssari Salama wrote:
07 Oct 2018 14:29
SFK Skyttekompani:
248 men, 27 motorvehicles,20 horses and sleds, 10 dogs with sleds
..stab
..3 skyttepluoner
....3 rifle squads
......10 men 1 BAR,1 SMG and 8 rifles
....pansarvärnsgrupp(AT-squad)
......10 men 2 Boys AT rifles and 8 rifles
..Support (Tent, cooking etcetera)
Are you saying in addition to this, there would be a sort of a support platoon to each Skyttekompani, with said 2*HMG and 1*Mortar?
Yes, the 4:th heavy platoon and according to Von Schmidt-Laussitz "För Finlands Frihet"
HMG-troop - 3 ksp m/14
AT gun troop - 2 Madsen 20mm
Mortar troop 2 8cm mortars

And the second battle group had one additional Mortar troop in their 4:th Platoon.
That does not work out according to the lists from the photo above.
But if they got more heavy weapons ready and crewed for the III Battlegroup that never saw action.

And the Heavy company in each Battle groupp should been
HQ
MG platoon with 3 troops with 3 HMG (total 9)
AT-gun plt 4 Madsen 20mm
Mortar platoon 3 8cm mortars

Hope I got it right this time


PS.
"Why did you do That!?"
"- It confuses the Russian"
The always applicabe excuse for doing something stupid.

DS

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”