JR 44 OOB

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
SFCLinken

JR 44 OOB

Post by SFCLinken » 20 Apr 2018 13:23

Hi,

Can someone help me with information on the OOB of JR44 during summer 1944.

Its difficult to find english information on this and google translating Finnish into english is a joke.

It seems to me that JR 44 had 3 Batallions. Each batallion had 3 INF companies, a mortar platoon and a machinegun company.

But I would like to dive deeper into that. What mortars? What machineguns? How many platoons in a company? Did JR 44 have attached AT capabilities? Divisional Artillery?

Any help is appreciated.

SFCLinken

Re: JR 44 OOB

Post by SFCLinken » 20 Apr 2018 14:38

I found this information, not JR44 specifically. Comments?

Infantry Regiment, 1944:

Regimental Commander

Regimental HQ

Supplies Platoon

Jaeger Platoon

Engineer Platoon

Signal Platoon

HQ Platoon

Mortar Company (6 - 9 x 120mm mortars)

AT-Gun Company (6 x antitank-gun)

Regimental (horse) vehicle column

3 Infantry Battalions

In each Infantry Battalion:

Battalion Commander

Battalion HQ

Jaeger Platoon

3 Infantry Companies

Mortar Platoon (3 x 81mm or 82mm mortars)

Machinegun Company (12 x heavy machinegun)

tramonte

Post by tramonte » 01 May 2018 22:29

JR 44 fought during summer of 1944 in Syväri (Svir) withdrawing to U-line until Soviet offensive was finally blocked. Regiment was part of 5th Division (other regiment of division was JR 2 + there was one detached battalion).

JR 44 personal losses from 1st of June to 14th of Sept 1944 were

- 258 killed in action
- 79 died in wounds
- 53 missing in action and confirmed later to have deceased
- 1 died in captivity (until 14th of Sept)
- 8 non combat deaths

The figure of died in wounds (79) is suggesting that regiment might have had total number of wounded as about one thousand but i'm not sure (normally 7-8.5% of wounded soldiers deceased). So the regiment might have had total losses about 1 300.

http://kronos.narc.fi/menehtyneet/index ... raportti=1
"Military history is nothing but a tissue of fictions and legends, only a form of literary invention; reality counts for very little in such affair."

- Gaston de Pawlowski, Dans les rides du front

tramonte

Post by tramonte » 01 May 2018 22:49

For 5th Division itself, it's battle in summer 1944 was very hard from 21st of June to 23rd of July with trying to impede forward pushing Red Army units and then having one week fierce main battle in Nietjärvi. On U-line (Nietjärvi) division was however strongly supported by artillery of 11 battalions (134 guns), more than any other single Finnish infantry division during that summer. Places JR 44 was fighting were: Vitele, Sekee, Enemajoki, Suurmäki, Kaukoijärvi, Nietjärvi (U-line), Kovero, Ohtali, Saarimäki, Uuttujärvi, Tulemajoki, Likolampi (Salmi), Pitkäranta (U-line), Uuksu (Suistamo), Säntämä etc,
"Military history is nothing but a tissue of fictions and legends, only a form of literary invention; reality counts for very little in such affair."

- Gaston de Pawlowski, Dans les rides du front

JTV

Post by JTV » 02 May 2018 17:26

SFCLinken wrote:I found this information, not JR44 specifically. Comments?
The info seems to be from my website and should be pretty accurate, although it is intended as a "by the book" general representation of military organisations and their equipment, hence the variations that individual units may have had obviously are not there. Most of the stuff is based on "red folders" (containing organisation & equipment tables and their plans) of World War 2 era Komento-osasto (~Command Department) of Finnish Armed Forces General Headquarters (Päämaja). The folders can be found in former Military Archives, which are nowadays part of Finnish National Archives. I also tried finding other sources to compare them against to verify that the info was correct.

Jarkko

SFCLinken

Post by SFCLinken » 03 May 2018 06:12

Jarkko, I found your site very useful for my project. Or rather extremely useful. Much appreciated.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”