Anti-tank minefields in Mannerheim line

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Panssari Salama

Anti-tank minefields in Mannerheim line

Post by Panssari Salama » 08 Sep 2018, 17:25

I got asked an interesting question: were there anti-tank minefields laid out in front of the Mannerheim line before and during Winter War? If so, what types of mines, and where were they, in what density?

I did not find any on-line resources readily (at least not yet), so any pointer to a book etc would be appreciated!
Panssari Salama - Paying homage to Avalon Hill PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader board games from those fab '70s.

Waleed Y. Majeed

Re: Anti-tank minefields in Mannerheim line

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 08 Sep 2018, 18:51

Mentions tank obstacles, minefields and some naval mines used too.
https://books.google.dk/books?id=UDO1Cw ... ld&f=false
waleed

Panssari Salama

Post by Panssari Salama » 08 Sep 2018, 19:29

Thanks Waleed! I have Käkelä's "Marskin panssarintuhoojat" (Mannerheim's tank destroyers) and Kolomyjec's Tanks in the Winter War as my only sources at hand, was not aware of his book on the subject.

My understanding is that there were no larger at-minefields in place during Winter War, while cerrtain key points were mined, like roads and their immediate vicinity.
Panssari Salama - Paying homage to Avalon Hill PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader board games from those fab '70s.

JTV

Post by JTV » 08 Sep 2018, 20:29

Panssari Salama wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 19:29
My understanding is that there were no larger at-minefields in place during Winter War, while cerrtain key points were mined, like roads and their immediate vicinity.
Pretty much that. In addition during the war it seems to have been a standard practice to place antitank-mines in holes that the Soviets had succeeded busting in antitank obstacle stone lines.

When Winter War started the whole antitank-mine inventory of Finnish Army was 5,000 antitank-mines m/36, so there simply were not enough antitank-mines for building large minefields. Neither antitank-mine m/36 or antitank-mine m/39 that went into production in December of 1939 could be manufactured in large numbers, so as a stop-gap measure of sort Finnish Army introduced antitank-mines m/S-39 and m/S-40 which were build in wooden boxes, that could be manufactured by carpenter's shops and furniture factories.

More info on these pages that in my website:
https://www.jaegerplatoon.net/landmines1.htm
https://www.jaegerplatoon.net/landmines3.htm

Jarkko

Panssari Salama

Post by Panssari Salama » 09 Sep 2018, 09:58

Thanks Jarkko!

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”