documentation on finnish medals

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
lndlf

documentation on finnish medals

Post by lndlf » 07 Mar 2019, 14:53

I have asked for the documentation for a medal my great grandfather was awarded in September 1941.
The national archive has let me know that I will recieve this documentation no later than April 5th.

What can I expect from this? Just a few sentences why he was awarded the medal. Or are these documentations even more detailed on what and why he got the medal?

Anyone have experience in getting such documentation from the national archives?

Mangrove

Re: documentation on finnish medals

Post by Mangrove » 07 Mar 2019, 17:01

lndlf wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 14:53
What can I expect from this? Just a few sentences why he was awarded the medal. Or are these documentations even more detailed on what and why he got the medal?
Previous discussion on the matter: Question on a medal?

The amount of information is usually, but not always, related to the level of the award. Medal of Freedom and Cross of Freedom, 4th Class were usually accompanied by one or two sentences at most. Higher ranking awards often had a few more sentences and referred to certain battles or operations where very detailed after-action reports were available.

Apart from being short, the lower ranking award texts were often also quite vague, for example "toiminut menestyksellisesti partiojohtajana" (literally "has been a successful patrol leader") or similar seems to have been quite common text for light infantry units in 1941. Then again, even Simo Häyhä's recommendation for the Mannerheim Cross contained only two sentences.

Aleksander P

Post by Aleksander P » 26 Mar 2019, 20:59

Is it possible to request this kind of information from them directly? I thought you had to reserve the specific "order of the day" (päiväkäsky) from the archives and scroll through it yourself.

lndlf

Post by lndlf » 27 Mar 2019, 11:11

Aleksander P wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 20:59
Is it possible to request this kind of information from them directly? I thought you had to reserve the specific "order of the day" (päiväkäsky) from the archives and scroll through it yourself.
Not sure,

I have gotten hold of the reference number, or what to call it for that specific medal. Contacted the archive with that reference number and they have said they will get back to me shortly. Shall be very interesting to see what kind of documentation I get.

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove » 27 Mar 2019, 17:28

Aleksander P wrote:
I thought you had to reserve the specific "order of the day" (päiväkäsky) from the archives and scroll through it yourself.
Order of the Day does not contain any specific information about why the award was granted since it was considered semi-public document accessible to any soldier of the unit. Thus, it could not include any information considered secret. The reasons behind the awards are on a (previously) secret document usually titled as "esitys (name of the award), i.e. "Award proposal...".

Aleksander P

Post by Aleksander P » 28 Mar 2019, 16:08

Mangrove wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 17:28
Aleksander P wrote:
I thought you had to reserve the specific "order of the day" (päiväkäsky) from the archives and scroll through it yourself.
Order of the Day does not contain any specific information about why the award was granted since it was considered semi-public document accessible to any soldier of the unit. Thus, it could not include any information considered secret. The reasons behind the awards are on a (previously) secret document usually titled as "esitys (name of the award), i.e. "Award proposal...".
Ah, I see. Is the information available from the on proposal? They really should digitize those files already.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”