Matti Johannes Tervo

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Laurance.Robinson

Matti Johannes Tervo

Post by Laurance.Robinson » 10 Apr 2019, 06:39

Yesterday (9th April) I was taken around Oulun Lyseo by a former Headmaster who I had been talking with in regards to Oulu's military history.

On the walls of their assembly hall are numerous plaques, 4 of them dedicated to those who fell during the Continuation and Lapland Wars. One name stood out, Matti Johannes Tervo, as it stated he fell in Germany August 1944. I'm curious as to the circumstances surrounding him being in Germany at that time. I couldn't find him in the list of SS Volunteers (but that would be unlikely at that time, right?).

I could find his name in the Kansallisarkisto sodissa 1939-1945 menehtyneet But could on Sotapolku.fi but it doesn't mention much.

Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.sotapolku.fi/henkilot/tervo ... 4_tyrnava/

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Re: Matti Johannes Tervo

Post by Juha Tompuri » 10 Apr 2019, 07:53

Hi!

Tero was killed in Germany, while attending to nightfighter training there:
Training in Germany in the Summer 1944

On 10.5.1944 a group of Finnish Air Force officers led by Lt.Col. K. Ilanko travelled to Germany to get familiar with Germany's air defence. On 12.5. Finns visited for example in Luftflotte Reich at Berlin-Wannsee and its 1. Fliegerdivision at Döberitz following the repulse of the attack of Allied heavy bombers. In Nachtjagdgeschwader 5 heavy night-fighter Messerschmitt Bf 110G-4 was presented by Obl. Werner Rapp. Next day group visited in another night-fighter unit and saw in practice how night-fighters were conducted. Group returned back to Finland on 15.5.1944.

About a month later on 13.6.1944 FAF sent the first group of 10 pilots to Germany for a Night-fighter Course [Yöhävittäjäkurssi]. They were led by Capt. M. Kalima who was ordered to lead Finnish pilots in Germany. Another group of 10 pilots as well led by Capt. K. Ruuskanen followed later during the same day.

On 15.6.1944 Finns arrived in Altenburg south from Leipzig. Training took place at Leinawald airfield which was the base used by Jagdgeschwader 110 (former Blindflugschule 10), training unit of JG 300, 301 and 302. Initial training consisisted of two periods of which 125 hours was so called elementary training and 85 hours night-fighter flying training. Training started with theoretical lessons and flying training and continued in July at Ludwigslust 100 km east from Hamburg in 1./Ergänzungs-Nachtjagdgruppe (Einmot.) where Finns were trained for one-engine night-fighters using so called "Wilde-Sau" method. Finns were now called as "Gruppe 34/44".

Total losses during training were 10% (usually they were about 20%). On 17.8.1944 Sgt B. Ringbom missed during a training flight. Destroyed plane with a killed pilot was later found full of 20 mm cannon holes. On 20.8. 2Lt M. Tervo was killed and his plane destroyed completely when engine stopped during landing. On 18.8. one Bf 109G-6 was also damaged in landing accident. M.Sgt Y. Hakulinen's back was seriously injured during training and he was returned back to Finland at the end of August. In total 17 Finnish pilots finished the night-fighter course which ended officially on 24.8.1944.

Finland was negotiating of peace with USSR and some pilots were hastily ordered to fly a few new Bf 109G-6 fighters and Junkers Ju 34 planes to Finland before Germans would stop further deliveries. When the Continuation War ended on 4./5.9.1944 several Finnish pilots were still in Germany waiting for new planes. All of them were initially interned but they were released on 6.9.1944. On 7.9. last Finnish pilots departed Odermünde by Finnish ship s/s Parma and arrived in Mariehamn at Åland Islands on 14.9
http://www.geocities.ws/finnmilpge/fmp_ ... hters.html

Laurance.Robinson

Re: Matti Johannes Tervo

Post by Laurance.Robinson » 10 Apr 2019, 08:35

Juha, once again, you have my thanks.

Very interesting story.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”