Finnish shooting medal for swedish speakers

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Rikardswe

Finnish shooting medal for swedish speakers

Post by Rikardswe » 12 Oct 2019, 16:06

Hi! I recently found one of my ancestors rifle shooting badge and was hoping someone knew some more about it, such as between what years it was given away and what the requirements were and any official names of the medal

https://pasteboard.co/IBDyT3A.jpg

Here is an image of it. There are apparently 3 versions of the medal one in bronze, silver and gold but i only have the bronze version. The text on the bottom of the badge says "för fosterlands" which means "for the fatherland".

Sorry for the low quality pic but i phone camera is pretty bad.

Mangrove

Re: Finnish shooting medal for swedish speakers

Post by Mangrove » 13 Oct 2019, 14:39

Rikardswe wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 16:06
I recently found one of my ancestors rifle shooting badge and was hoping someone knew some more about it, such as between what years it was given away and what the requirements were and any official names of the medal
There should be a date engraved behind the badge. The ones I have seen online are from 1927 and 1928. At the time, only Finnish Defence Forces, Civil Guard, Suomen Ampujainliitto ("The Shooters' Association of Finland") and Svenska Finlands Skytteförbund ("The Shooters' Association of Swedish Finland") handed out shooting badges.

This might be one handed out by either Svenska Finlands Skytteförbund or Swedish-speaking Nyländs Södrä Civil Guard District as their motto was "För fosterlandet". Where did your ancestor live?

Rikardswe

Post by Rikardswe » 14 Oct 2019, 14:11

There is no engravements on the back but it seems to have been welded to something at one point as there are two welding marks on the back. My ancestors lived in ostrobothnia, the Vaasa region and were all swedish speaking finns.

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove » 15 Oct 2019, 10:10

Rikardswe wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 14:11
My ancestors lived in ostrobothnia, the Vaasa region and were all swedish speaking finns.
If he was a member of the Civil Guard, you might be able to find his name in some of the competition results. Civil Guard service records are held at the National Archives of Finland in Helsinki.
- Svenska Skyddskåristen, Wasa Skyddskårsdistrikts Stab

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”