Martial Arts Training during the 1930s and 1940s?

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Mangrove

Martial Arts Training during the 1930s and 1940s?

Post by Mangrove » 16 Nov 2019, 10:58

I found some references to martial arts training in Finnish Navy's training manual for combat (coastal) engineers, dated 4 January 1944. The manual includes some pages worth of "käsikähmä" ("hand-to-hand combat") techniques from jujutsu (see the photograph below). Does anyone have references to some earlier Finnish training material that includes some form of eastern or western martial arts? Apart from the 1944 manual, there was "Ohjeita lähitaistelua varten" printed in 1928 and later "Lähitaisteluopas" in 1957.
kasikahma.jpg

JTV

Re: Martial Arts Training during the 1930s and 1940s?

Post by JTV » 17 Nov 2019, 20:08

I read some of the early Finnish military close quarters manuals when I did research for "Bayonets of puukko knives" page of my website.

It is worth noting that lähitaistelu (close quarters combat) is a much wider term, which includes käsikähmä (hand-to-hand combat), hence the manuals about close quarters combat do not often (or normally?) cover hand-to-hand combat in any real detail. Also the impression that I got was that hand-to-hand combat was probably a rather low priority. For example N.V. Hersalo's Jalkaväen Taistelutaito I (Infantry Combat Tactics I) page 93 lists as close quarters combat weapons: "rifle with bayonet, pistol, sub machinegun and in case of emergency knife, entrenching tool, fist etc".

Anyway - one manual worth checking, but possibly difficult to find (at least MPKK library in Santahamina has it) is named Jalkamies. Picture of its front cover is attached. It was apparently published in year 1924 and showcases number of techniques of hand-to-hand combat, which according it are based to those used in jujutsu (written as "jiu-jitsu" as in your document). What is being told in the manual it is translated adoptation of German manual Der Schütze written by Major Rühle v. Lilienstern and Captain v. Cochenhausen.

I photographed the particular manual, contact me by PM if you are interested of the photos.
Attachments
Jalkamies_cover.jpg
Jalkamies_cover.jpg (36.38 KiB) Viewed 2871 times

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Re: Martial Arts Training during the 1930s and 1940s?

Post by OpanaPointer » 17 Nov 2019, 20:35

There exists footage of a 50ish man teaching US Army recruits judo.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”