SOUTH AMERICAN VOLUNTEERS ?

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
ignacioosacar1

SOUTH AMERICAN VOLUNTEERS ?

Post by ignacioosacar1 » 15 Mar 2020 15:09

Dear Forum,

Has anybody heard of South American volunteers, a mix of Argentinian and Chilean who fought in the Finnish army ? Personally I have explored the web and only found an obscure reference of a "General Simon Bolivar Brigade", a 4500 men strong element. Dubious source in my appraisal. I suppose it is something written by some alternate history enthusiast, those who come out from time to time to exercise his or her exuberant imagination. I still consider it possible for individuals to have done so, althou unlikely because of climate and lenguaje. There were some cases in the Spanish Civil War ( mostly on the Republican side ) but still there were hardcore Argentinians and Chilean anti - communists in the National side who might have travelled to Finland once the war ended in 1939 and turned redundant in Spain.

Any help on this topic will be appreciates

Cheers

Mangrove

Re: SOUTH AMERICAN VOLUNTEERS ?

Post by Mangrove » 15 Mar 2020 19:13

ignacioosacar1 wrote:
15 Mar 2020 15:09
Has anybody heard of South American volunteers, a mix of Argentinian and Chilean who fought in the Finnish army ?
According to book series Talvisodan historia and Ritaranta's article Vapaaehtoisia vaivaksi asti published on Suomen Ilmailuhistoriallinen Lehti, there were no South American volunteers either in the Army or the Air Force during the Winter War. However, there might have been people with multible citizenships registered under other country.

Seppo Koivisto

Post by Seppo Koivisto » 15 Mar 2020 20:46

You are maybe refering to this post, which is of course alternative history.
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=172747&p=1742296#p1742290

ignacioosacar1

Post by ignacioosacar1 » 17 Mar 2020 01:04

Dear Forum,

Peron was never in command of this "Bolivar Regiment" in Finland. He never visited Finland in his lifetime. The article is pure fiction mixed with real facts. The author has used the timeframe when he was actually in Italy, attached to a Italian Mountain Division HQ from (1939-1942). He did some tourism to neighbouring countries but never made it to Finland.

Thank you for your contribution

Cheers!

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”