Red Wings in the Winter War

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
CF Geust

Red Wings in the Winter War

Post by CF Geust » 21 Apr 2020, 15:57

9147 Red Wings cover proposal 2.jpg
Hello,
I have now finally got the book Red Wings in the Winter War in my hands - as all authors know, it is a great moment to see and feel the result of several years (in fact decades...) of work!

I have been asked what is new in this book compared to Red Stars Vol. 7 - the Winter War in the Air (published as a bilingual English/Finnish book by Finnish Apali in 2011, and translated into Russian "VVS RKKA na Zimnej Vojne" in 2014).

The new book Red Wings in the Winter War is an English-only edition published by MMP Books Stratus, Poland, 352 pages including 24 color profile pages.

The basic material is naturally the same, but the book is entirely updated and expanded, all material of Red Stars Vol. 5 (Soviet Naval Air Force in the Winter War) is integrated and rewritten to the Red Stars Vol. 7 format.

Note: While Red Stars Vol. 7 described "only" the Red Army Air Force (VVS RKKA), the new book describes both Red Army Air Force AND Baltic Fleet Air Force - VVS RKKA and VVS KBF.

The new book includes lots of new material (both text and photos) and a new 35-pages chapter dealing with the operations of the Finnish Air Force, including a new section with so far unpublished information about the international assistance to the Finnish AF in the Winter war) is added.

Carl

PS. Suomalaisille lukijoille: Koala on miltei samanaikaisesti julkaissut suomenkielisen kirjan Punailmavoimat talvisodassa, joka ei ole aivan identtinen em. englanninkielisen kirjan kanssa.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Re: Red Wings in the Winter War

Post by Juha Tompuri » 21 Apr 2020, 18:49

Exellent news!
Which one do you rate better, Finnish or English language version?

Regards, Juha

CF Geust

Post by CF Geust » 21 Apr 2020, 20:44

In my opinion both books are good - the English version includes some additional explanations which are not necessary in the Finnish version.

One main difference that on the suggestion of the publisher a 35-page summary of Winter War from the viewpoint of the Finnish Air Force is included in the English version. As already mentioned above this additional section contains also rather unknown information about the International assistance to the Finnish AF, which was printed in Finnish in the Yearbook of the Finnish Society for Military History (Sotahistoriallinen aikakauskirja) nro 28/2009.

Many appendices of the English version are accessible via an internet address, but are included in the printed Finnish book.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 22 Apr 2020, 08:52

Hi!

Adlibris info mentions that the Finnish language version contains some more printwork?
The book includes over 350 photographs, most of which have never published before, 28 specially commissioned colour profiles and 5 maps.
Tekstin tukena on yli 400 harvinaista valokuvaa, 36 väriprofiilipiirrosta ja 9 karttaa.
https://www.adlibris.com/fi/kirja/red-w ... 8365958518
https://www.adlibris.com/fi/kirja/punai ... 9522292131

Regards, Juha

CF Geust

Post by CF Geust » 22 Apr 2020, 09:28

The number of photos is approximately the same in both books, the Finnish book does however include some additional maps. Because of the special section on Finnish AF in the English book a number of appendices are available only electronically, but included "on paper" in the Finnish printed book. Both books include 352 pages, but the layouts are made entirely independently and thus dissimilar.

gottschs

Post by gottschs » 27 Apr 2020, 16:55

Is this the same book I am seeing on Amazon? https://www.amazon.com/Red-Wings-Winter ... 8365958511

CF Geust

Post by CF Geust » 27 Apr 2020, 17:03

Yes, this is the book,
Carl

Laurance.Robinson

Post by Laurance.Robinson » 13 May 2020, 19:25

This is great news, I shall have to add it to my wish list of books.
-
Lare

CanKiwi2

Post by CanKiwi2 » 26 May 2020, 21:30

Going to have to add to my wishlist too. Looks great, Carl :)
ex Ngāti Tumatauenga ("Tribe of the Maori War God") aka the New Zealand Army

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”