Leopard Company TO&E

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Tanker Mike

Leopard Company TO&E

Post by Tanker Mike » 24 Dec 2020, 00:18

Hello,

Certainly my question is way out of the normal focus of this forum. But my internet search has yielded nothing.

Here is my question, I am looking for any TO&E information on how the current Finnish Leopard tank companies are organized. Any help or websites would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays,
Mike
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we would grow too fond of it."
— General Robert E. Lee

Panssari Salama

Re: Leopard Company TO&E

Post by Panssari Salama » 27 Dec 2020, 10:47

Hello Tanker Mike, a contemporary Finnish Leo 2 company consists of three platoons of four MBTs plus a HQ section of two MBTs, for a total of 14 Leopard 2 tanks.
Panssari Salama - Paying homage to Avalon Hill PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader board games from those fab '70s.

Panssari Salama

Post by Panssari Salama » 27 Dec 2020, 11:07

Come to think I can't really offer any websites for further information. What is public information from various Finnish sources is that the Finnish Leopard 2A6s are deployed with

- Karelian Brigade, where brigade's three Mechanised Jaegr Battalions consist of one Leo 2 company and two (2) CV-90 IFV jaeger companies (of three platoons) each

- Armored Brigade's two Mechanised Battalion Battlegroups, where both battlegroups have - among other units - two Leo 2 companies and two BMP-2M IFV jaeger companies.

The peculiarity with Mechanised Battalion Battlegroups is that each of the BMP-2M compaies have four platoons of four squads, so it is my understanding one of the four jaeger platoons would be dedicated for close support of each MBT platoons: one squad per tank for keeping the perimeter safe.

How the older Leo 2A4s are deployed is not public information - and I have no idea - apart that there's two Leo 2A4 coys, one per Motorized Battalion Battlegroup of Armored Brigade, where each battlegroup has one tank coy and three motorised coys with MT-LB apcs.

Worth noting perhaps is that the Armored Brigade is a cadre training organisation, and it actually deploys these four battalion battlegroups mentioned: two mechanised, and two motorised.

As for the remaining Leo 2A4s, I have no idea apart that apparently there's a platoon trained each at Hamina War college, Kainuu Brigade and Jaeger Brigade, but whether those would deploy as separate tank companies or not I have no idea.

In addition to these, there's a number of engineering variants of Leo 2A4 with mine-rollers, that, as a guess, would be available to engineer companies with Mechanised Battle Groups, and likely with Karelia Brigade as well.

Land Forces do state they have still 100 Leo 2A6s and 100 Leo 2A4s, but that is all the detail they give: https://maavoimat.fi/en/about-us

edit: what a mess, isn't it. I still might have left a typo here or there.
Panssari Salama - Paying homage to Avalon Hill PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader board games from those fab '70s.

Tanker Mike

Post by Tanker Mike » 27 Dec 2020, 23:10

Panssari Salama wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 10:47
Hello Tanker Mike, a contemporary Finnish Leo 2 company consists of three platoons of four MBTs plus a HQ section of two MBTs, for a total of 14 Leopard 2 tanks.
Well that is something anyway. Thank you.

Within the HQ section, are there any other vehicles assigned to it? Any idea what they might be or how it would be organized? I am wondering if there is a service and supply section, or maintenance section or kitchen section, etc.
— General Robert E. Lee

Esa Muikku

Post by Esa Muikku » 28 Dec 2020, 01:25

I don't see how this topic is related to Winter War or Continuation War. Perhaps a wrong forum...

Tanker Mike

Post by Tanker Mike » 28 Dec 2020, 01:41

Esa Muikku wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 01:25
I don't see how this topic is related to Winter War or Continuation War. Perhaps a wrong forum...
It is not related. I was hoping to generate a discussion elsewhere or offline perhaps. Sorry for clogging up the information flow.

Mike
— General Robert E. Lee

Panssari Salama

Post by Panssari Salama » 28 Dec 2020, 08:42

Tanker Mike wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 23:10
Within the HQ section, are there any other vehicles assigned to it? Any idea what they might be or how it would be organized? I am wondering if there is a service and supply section, or maintenance section or kitchen section, etc.
As far as I know (and I am just a boardgame geek) that is it. The HQ section consist of Coy Cdr and his/her XO's tank.

There is a separate Engineer coy for breaching and bridging related capabilities, and a Logistics coy for logistics and recovery related capabilities.
Esa Muikku wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 01:25
To be fair he did ask for pointers or links but I can't think of any...

gottschs

Post by gottschs » 30 Dec 2020, 23:19

Sounds like a Team Yankee miniatures game composition?

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”