R.i.p

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri

R.i.p

Post by Ville » 27 Jun 2003, 14:42

Larry A. Thorne

W

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 27 Jun 2003, 15:56

Rest in peace old soldier.

Antti V

Post by Antti V » 27 Jun 2003, 20:21

RIP.

I just watched report from YLE news about funerals in Arlington. It was weird that they didn´t mentioned anything about Törni´s career in German army, only about his careers in Finnish army and Green Berets of USA. Why do even short report about person and his life, if you leave something well-known without any kind of notice in report? :?

George Lepre
Host - Foreign volunteers section

Post by George Lepre » 27 Jun 2003, 20:24

Hello -

Is he buried in Arlington? I had heard that he was to be interred in Finland.

He fought three wars against Communism! A true hero.

Does anyone have a photo of his grave?

George Lepre

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 27 Jun 2003, 21:39

George,

The funeral were last night local time. Actually his last place of rest is at a jungle of Vietnam. He is declared KIA as a search team (a while ago) found the wreck of the chopper and some personal items of his last mission.
How well he is known at USA?
RIP, Lauri

Regards, Juha

Dan E. Moe

Post by Dan E. Moe » 28 Jun 2003, 14:41

Can somebody give me an update on his career?
He seems like a man to look into. What awards did he receive, and does anybody have any pictures of him?

dan

Antti V

Post by Antti V » 28 Jun 2003, 16:44

Here is something, mainly in Finnish but something in English too:
http://www.lauritorni.com/

Mark V

Post by Mark V » 28 Jun 2003, 16:50

Antti V wrote:I just watched report from YLE news about funerals in Arlington. It was weird that they didn´t mentioned anything about Törni´s career in German army, only about his careers in Finnish army and Green Berets of USA. Why do even short report about person and his life, if you leave something well-known without any kind of notice in report? :?
That is very much understandable. Some people in this forum could not differentiate Waffen-SS and concentration camp guards from each other - let alone average TV audience...

Anyway - may he rest in peace. A tru warrior.

Mark V

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 28 Jun 2003, 16:56

(click the cover & buy it to support the site & forum)

Here is a book for those interested in his military career: "Soldier Under Three Flags: Exploits of Special Forces' Captain Larry A. Thorne" by H. A. Gill III

/Marcus

Harri

Post by Harri » 28 Jun 2003, 17:21

I'd rather seen him - the real Finnish hero - buried in Finland but this was good as well because he is equally respected in the United States. For me Törni/Thorne lives forever.

He was born in Viipuri which was ceded to USSR in 1940 and again in 1944. That is why Lauri Törni hated Communists. For some reason he always reminds me of the legendary Finnish character "Antti Rokka" (from the novel "Unknown Soldier" based loosely on the career of Viljam Pylkäs) although he was NCO and Törni was reserve officer. Imagine Törni in place of Rokka and what he said when he was carried away in strecthers after he had wounded...

Antti V

Post by Antti V » 28 Jun 2003, 17:46

Mark V wrote:
That is very much understandable. Some people in this forum could not differentiate Waffen-SS and concentration camp guards from each other - let alone average TV audience...

Anyway - may he rest in peace. A tru warrior.

Mark V
Yeah, but I really do think people does have right to know whole truth about historical person´s life, especially when we know what Törni didn´t do in SS. Or do we???

YLE´s (Finnish broadcasting company) mission is give information, not hide it. That wasn´t first time when YLE leaves well known facts out from its news and whole story is remade then because of that.

Why create the myth of legend, when we know that reality isn´t as "nice" as it was presented to big audience in report, and facts will come surface anyway when people will read more about person´s life. It just leaves the taste of s**t in mouth when people realizes that whole truth wasn´t mentioned there in news which are run by state-owned company. Is our society still living in reality, where some historical facts are forbidden and banned and too ugly to be mentioned? It looks like that :cry:
I´m pretty sure also reporter knew Törni´s full story. Interesting news but leaves bad taste into mouth when it was done as it was. That report wasn´t very well done, IMO.
I must send email to that guy who made it and ask him be more thruthful with his reports next time :)

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 28 Jun 2003, 19:34

Now after the sauna,i'm proudly wearing my Törni t-skirt 8)

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 28 Jun 2003, 21:22

Juha,

I think i´ve seen such a shirt somewhere...at "Introduce yourself" perhaps...

Regards, the other Juha

Mark V

Post by Mark V » 28 Jun 2003, 21:22

Harri wrote:Imagine Törni in place of Rokka and what he said when he was carried away in strecthers after he had wounded...
Imagine Törni in Finnish Freiwillige Waffen-SS batallion in Caucasus, August 1942 - if he had been allowed to stay in unit.

Steiner would had had one hell of an soldier more...

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”