1940 Ford Trucks going from USA to Finland.

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
NilsVeka

1940 Ford Trucks going from USA to Finland.

Post by NilsVeka » 22 Feb 2022 00:45

Hello, Nils from Norway here.

I am searching for some info regarding Ford trucks going from USA to Finland spring of 1940.

-story not 100% comfirmed;
April 1940: ...due to bad weather 2 ships(one of them named møstun, norwegian) was halted by the British navy in the North sea, and told to go to Bergen ,a city on the Norwegian Westcoast........The cargo on theese two ships was said to be new Ford Truck for the Finnish Army....i have heard 90-100 trucks, but have no confirmations on it.... have altso seen 1000...in another forum tread.... i dont know...
The evening of 8th april the boats came in to the harbour of Bergen....and the day after we all know whats happened...Norway was occupied by the German forces.....The boats was taken over by the Germans, the boats was send further south to Stavanger and all the trucks was unloaded and was used by the German Forces in Norway the next 5 years.

My grand dad purchased one of this trucks in late1945/early1946.It was in bad shape but he fixed it up and used the truck many years to come, He died in 1984 but some years after i found some papers from that truck...it was used by the Luftwaffe(luftgaukommando Norwegen) WL322485 ...I pull it out from the woods in the mid 2000`s, and after some years of restauration it is soon (springtime) be ready to roll on the roads again.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1607 ... oject.html

Do anyone have any information about this, i will be happy....i hope to find out how many trucks who came to Norway this day.
I have seen pictures from finland with same truck that i have, so another ships must have been arrived Finland with new trucks..before or after...
this is american made 1940 1,5 ton trucks, with splitted frontshield.

Nils

JTV

Re: 1940 Ford Trucks going from USA to Finland.

Post by JTV » 22 Feb 2022 06:11

NilsVeka wrote:
22 Feb 2022 00:45

April 1940: ...due to bad weather 2 ships(one of them named møstun, norwegian) was halted by the British navy in the North sea, and told to go to Bergen ,a city on the Norwegian Westcoast........The cargo on theese two ships was said to be new Ford Truck for the Finnish Army....i have heard 90-100 trucks, but have no confirmations on it.... have altso seen 1000...in another forum tread.... i dont know...
The evening of 8th april the boats came in to the harbour of Bergen....and the day after we all know whats happened...Norway was occupied by the German forces.....The boats was taken over by the Germans, the boats was send further south to Stavanger and all the trucks was unloaded and was used by the German Forces in Norway the next 5 years.
That sounds highly plausible. State of Finland bought about 4,400 Ford m. 40 truck and truck chassis from United States in year 1940. Large number (about 1,100 - 1,200 or so?) of those Ford trucks were captured by the Germans when they invaded Norway in 1940 and were taken in German use. Germany later compensated the Ford trucks taken to their own use in Norway by delivering French trucks (mainly Citroen T45) to Finland.

Some 2,500 trucks were delivered to Finland via Norwegian harbours before German invasion and last shipments that had not yet reached Norway were re-routed via Petsamo harbour. Sweden was apparently also having pretty serious shortage of trucks at the time, so Finland sold about 1,000 of the new Ford m.40 trucks to Sweden.

Source: Puolustusvoimien moottoriajoneuvot 1919 - 1959 (Motor Vehicles of Finnish Defence Forces 1919 - 1959) by Markku Mäkipirtti.

NilsVeka

Post by NilsVeka » 23 Feb 2022 07:53

Thanks a lot...i didnt know....very interesting 👍😁

Nils

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 23 Feb 2022 12:43

My father served in VI AC,s Transport Company and they got whole new Citroen T45 trucks and gave their Fords away.
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

John T

Post by John T » 23 Feb 2022 19:30

NilsVeka wrote:
22 Feb 2022 00:45
Hello, Nils from Norway here.

I am searching for some info regarding Ford trucks going from USA to Finland spring of 1940.

My grand dad purchased one of this trucks in late1945/early1946.It was in bad shape but he fixed it up and used the truck many years to come, He died in 1984 but some years after i found some papers from that truck...it was used by the Luftwaffe(luftgaukommando Norwegen) WL322485 ...I pull it out from the woods in the mid 2000`s, and after some years of restauration it is soon (springtime) be ready to roll on the roads again.

Do anyone have any information about this, i will be happy....i hope to find out how many trucks who came to Norway this day.
I have seen pictures from finland with same truck that i have, so another ships must have been arrived Finland with new trucks..before or after...
this is american made 1940 1,5 ton trucks, with splitted frontshield.

Nils
Great work you do on what started as a pile of rust in the forest!

Regarding Bergen, Royal Navy ran convoys to Bergen, so I think Royal Navy, kindly advised the ships to join a convoy.
And the Baltic entrance was blocked, south of Falsterbo in Sweden so Bergen was the most common destination for shipments to Finland.

British Ford and the Swedish importer also promised to supply some 1000 trucks,
They were probably part of the 4 400 Ford trucks JTV described.

And you have seen this tread:
viewtopic.php?f=113&t=170678&hilit=ford+bergen

Cheers
/John

NilsVeka

Post by NilsVeka » 25 Feb 2022 17:48

Thanks for information :)

Nils

Seppo Koivisto

Post by Seppo Koivisto » 25 Feb 2022 21:56

Has your truck the German Ford cabin with one part wind shield? As far I know Finnish trucks came as semi-knocked-down kits and the cabins were made by a Finnish company (two part wind shield like US Ford). It is said that the Germans torpedoed a ship transporting mud guards and many Finnish Ford trucks had mud guards made of wood.

NilsVeka

Post by NilsVeka » 26 Feb 2022 16:32

Hi,Seppo.
As far as i know ,I have an american made cabin(truck).I have welded up the whole cabin, with new sheetmetal parts from USA, all the profiles and sizes seems original from factory.

I know that mr.Ford had a lot of cooperation factories in europe and australia who build trucks and parts for his products, i even heard that he got compensated from the US goverment because the americans bombed his german factories :)

Nils

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”