Finnish VR Train sleeve patch during wartime

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Winterwarlego

Finnish VR Train sleeve patch during wartime

Post by Winterwarlego » 27 Jun 2022 21:13

Does anyone know the coloring of the Valtionrautatiet sleeve patches seen during wartime?

Kiitos!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JTV

Re: Finnish VR Train sleeve patch during wartime

Post by JTV » 28 Jun 2022 05:35

Does anybody have Pekka Aarniaho's "Kaluunat ja rähinäremmit. Itsenäisen Suomen virkapuvut ja arvomerkit 1918 – 1945" ("Uniforms and Rank Markings of Independent Finland 1918 - 1945") at hand? What I remember it has few pages of color drawings about uniforms, insignia etc used by State Railways (Valtionrautatiet), so these might be included.

Winterwarlego

Post by Winterwarlego » 28 Jun 2022 19:05

Thank you JTV! Unfortunately, I don't own that resource. I have ordered it. If anyone could look this up I would really appreciate it as my project is a bit time sensitive. Most of the period images I can find show the VR logo in blue and white which is what I may have to opt to go with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 29 Jun 2022 14:23

Winterwarlego wrote:
27 Jun 2022 21:13
Does anyone know the coloring of the Valtionrautatiet sleeve patches seen during wartime?

Kiitos!
My guess is that in the 1st pic the swastika is artillery red as AAA units in Finland.
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

Winterwarlego

Post by Winterwarlego » 29 Jun 2022 15:58

At first, I thought the same. Typical red backing but the patch looks as light as the uniform on the summer tunic and much lighter on the winter. This led me to believe it may be a white backing versus traditional red with gold lettering. The fact that Valtionrautatiet used the blue white combination made me
Search for definite clarity. Hopefully, someone has the publication JTV mentioned above.

JTV

Post by JTV » 10 Jul 2022 18:56

I hope it is not too late. I finally got back and had opportunity of checking Aarniaho's book. It does not have drawings which would exactly match those, but it does have two drawings, which might be those, if the author draw them based on written descriptions (and got the way in which the triangle is located wrong).

Attached drawings are from page 182, which shows some insignias of special military formations. According captions section they are:
1 (red one): Anti-aircraft Unit under command of Railway Department of Finnish Armed Forces GHQ (Päämajan Rautatieosaston alainen Ilmatorjuntaosasto).
2 (white one): Detached Railway Transport Company (Erillinen Rautatieliikennekomppania).
Captions section mentions that regulations do not mention colour of winged wheel insignia, which seems to suggest that the two drawings are in fact based on written description from some regulations manual instead of being based on actual insignia batches.
Railway_troops.jpg

Winterwarlego

Post by Winterwarlego » 17 Jul 2022 00:07

Thank you so much JTV. I saw this earlier but didn't reply it was in time!

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”