Kolmen Kannaksen Koukkaajat-Outflankers Of Three Istmuses

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Mrks

Kolmen Kannaksen Koukkaajat-Outflankers Of Three Istmuses

Post by Mrks » 27 Aug 2003, 16:13

My grandfather again...

I found a pin bagde of Kolmen Kannaksen Koukkaajat from my grandfathers stuff from the Continuation War. It is not the 8th Division Cross just the center of the cross equiped with a pin. Can anyone tell me why was this Cross or my Grandfathers pin awarded? The three Isthmuses were Somme, Syväri and Maaselkä. Was it awarded to everyone who fought those battles? Any specifics...?

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 27 Aug 2003, 16:32

Hi

Your's granfather pin is one of many similar pins,which were made in many units during war.They were unofficial emblems which were available to all men of given unit and were ment to raise "we" spirit and unit pride.

Cheers/Juha

Mrks

Post by Mrks » 27 Aug 2003, 18:02

Yup thats what I thougt but the 8th Division Cross is official ain't it?

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 27 Aug 2003, 19:18

Yes,it's official.They could be applyed from Sotainvalidien Veljesliitto after the war.Applicant send copy of his soldier's pass to them and if he could be verifield as member of given unit,he would get that memorial cross.They did cost some money and surplus sum was used to help war veterans.

/Juha

Hans N

Post by Hans N » 27 Aug 2003, 23:48

They could be applyed from Sotainvalidien Veljesliitto after the war.Applicant send copy of his soldier's pass to them and if he could be verifield as member of given unit,he would get that memorial cross.They did cost some money and surplus sum was used to help war veterans.
They still do!
You can order the militarypapers (has the same information as a soldiers pass) on your relative from Sota Arkisto in Helsinki and send a copy to Sotainvalidien Veljesliitto and state your case, to get new ones.

I did that and got new awards for my grandfather on my fathers side and his brother as well as well as my grandfather on my mothers side. Got all medals they earned to have and as well the documents to them!

Best
Hans N

Mrks

Post by Mrks » 28 Aug 2003, 17:53

Really! Gotta check it out. I got his 1. and 2. class Vapauden Mitalli's which were also marked in the soldiers pass. It would be great to see if he or my other granddad would be intitled to other medals.

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 28 Aug 2003, 18:13

Hans N wrote:
They could be applyed from Sotainvalidien Veljesliitto after the war.Applicant send copy of his soldier's pass to them and if he could be verifield as member of given unit,he would get that memorial cross.They did cost some money and surplus sum was used to help war veterans.
They still do!
You can order the militarypapers (has the same information as a soldiers pass) on your relative from Sota Arkisto in Helsinki and send a copy to Sotainvalidien Veljesliitto and state your case, to get new ones.

I did that and got new awards for my grandfather on my fathers side and his brother as well as well as my grandfather on my mothers side. Got all medals they earned to have and as well the documents to them!

Best
Hans N
Hans,

Could you please send me a PM on how to do that. I have my grandfather’s papers from the Sota Arkisto, and would really like to get him the 8th Divisions commemorative cross.

~Henric Edwards

Hans N

Post by Hans N » 28 Aug 2003, 19:08

Forgot to say that this only conserns the Commemorative crosses 1939-40 and 1941-45.
Some of the awards has been stoped issuing years back, like the winterwar medals.
And if you have the award it self u can get the document for it, if it´s missing!

Best
Hans N

Mrks

Post by Mrks » 29 Aug 2003, 22:50

Hans was it just a matter of sending the documents to Sotainvalidien Veljesliitto or did you have to do some persuading or provide other evidence? And if my Granddad did fought in Somme, Syväri and Maaselkä would that be all I need to get him the 8th Division Cross? What awards did you get Hans?

Hans N

Post by Hans N » 30 Aug 2003, 01:01

Hans was it just a matter of sending the documents to Sotainvalidien Veljesliitto or did you have to do some persuading or provide other evidence? And if my Granddad did fought in Somme, Syväri and Maaselkä would that be all I need to get him the 8th Division Cross? What awards did you get Hans?
The soldier pass and the papers at Sota Arkisto are the same basically.

First i wrote them and asked what medal my relatives was entiteld to with a copy of their armypapers. They answered me with a list of awards.
Then i just wrote them a letter stating my case of interest and sent along copies of my relatives papers from Sota Arkisto!

I got me 2 of the Blue Cross,2 Rannikkotykistön crosses and others that i don´t remember right now. I´ll post later a more precise count of the awards that i got.

Regards
Hans N

Hans N

Post by Hans N » 30 Aug 2003, 19:16

I got me 2 Blue Crosses, 2 Rannikkotykistön crosses and 1 Keski Kannaksen cross and a new awarddocument for my Continuenationwar Commemorative medal. I got me a new ribbon with sword and Karjalan Kannas bar, that was missing on my grandfathers Winterwar medal.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”