Why did Finnish planes have Swastikas?

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
PanzerKing

Why did Finnish planes have Swastikas?

Post by PanzerKing » 03 Nov 2003, 03:12

Why did Finnish planes have blue Swastikas? Why didn't other Axis nations use them, was there a specific reason?

Thanks

aftershock2222

Post by aftershock2222 » 03 Nov 2003, 05:07

The Finnish Swastika had nothing to do with the German Swastika.The Finns used the Swastika long before the Germans did.From what I remember,the Finns took their Swastika from the coat of arms of a great 17th century Finnish family.

PanzerKing

Post by PanzerKing » 03 Nov 2003, 06:14

Wow that's interesting. Thanks for letting me know.

Tapani K.

Post by Tapani K. » 03 Nov 2003, 09:28

aftershock2222 wrote:The Finnish Swastika had nothing to do with the German Swastika.The Finns used the Swastika long before the Germans did.From what I remember,the Finns took their Swastika from the coat of arms of a great 17th century Finnish family.
Actually the blue swastika was initially a personal good luck emblem of a Swedish count, Erik von Rosen. He gave the Finnish Air Force its first aircraft with the blue swastikas painted on wings and the FAF adopted the emblem.

regards,
Tapani K.

JariL

Post by JariL » 03 Nov 2003, 10:15

German use of swastika also predates Hitler. German Freikorps used swastika as their emblem and I have seen a photo from the western front about 1917 showing a German supply wagon decorated with a swastika. Hitler most likely adopted the swastika from the Freikorps allthough his decision was influenced by the Völkisch movement and it's interest in Indian culture and history of the "aryans" (which may have influnced the Freikorps too, BTW).

As Tapani said above Finnish air force adopted the blue swastika from baron Erich von Rosen. But swastika has also been used and is still used for example in some Finnish national costumes. Akseli Gallen-Kallela who designed most of the uniforms and decorations of the independent Finland during and after the civil war also used swastika in many of them and drew his inspiration from the Finnish folklore. Some Finnish decorations still carry a swastika allthough in a stylised form that easily escapes the eye.

The highest civil order for example had swastikas on its chain until 1960's. The swastikas were replaced with oakleaves first after the order was given to president Charles de Gaulle who hid it immediatley under his coat so that no photos could be taken of him and the swastikas. It is interesting that before him the same order had been donated to the president of the Soviet Union who had no problems of being photographed with it. But in any case, all chains were of the orders already donated to foreigners were changed to oak leave decorated ones soon after the de Gaulle incident.

Due to it's history in the country swastika as a symbol is not always automatically connected to Nazism in Finland the way is the case for example in Sweden not to speak of Norway and Denmark that were occupied by Hitlers forces during WWII. In order to be understood as a symbol for Nazism swastika in Finland has to be in connection with something that points to right wing extremism, like a slogan "foreigners go home" or colours of the Third Reich flag.

Regards,

Jari

John W

Post by John W » 03 Nov 2003, 10:25

Didn't the Finns also paint the Swastika on some of their armoured vehicles?

JariL

Post by JariL » 03 Nov 2003, 12:09

Yes,

A black swastika highlighted with white was used in armoured vehicles between 1941 and early 1945. In some rare cases the swastika could be blue (AFV'x captured and pressed into service by 1. division in 1941). Use of the emblem was copied from the air force but German success and common enemy at that point could also have had an effect. During the Winter War some tanks had blue and white stripes painted around the turret.

Regards,

Jari

nublu

Post by nublu » 03 Nov 2003, 15:23

Another nation who used svastika on their planes was Latvia. They had red one, and also starting from 1919 until 1940.

here you can see some example of them
http://www.insigniamag.com/indan.html

rgrds

Toomas

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane » 03 Nov 2003, 15:56

Here is the plane von Rosen donated:

From http://www.mannerheim.fi/06_vsota/e_ilmase.htm

The swastika is still in use in some places:

Here is the banner of Lapin lennosto, i.e. the air force unit of Lapland:

http://ilmavoimat.fi/laplsto/lap.pl?s=lippu.htm

And here is the President's flag:

http://www.presidentti.fi/fin/instituut ... akuna.html

Orok

Post by Orok » 03 Nov 2003, 16:35

John W wrote:Didn't the Finns also paint the Swastika on some of their armoured vehicles?
Here's a picture of a Finnish tank

Best Regards!

Harri

Post by Harri » 05 Nov 2003, 01:44

Jari,

isn't the original chain with swastikas in use again?

----

About the Finnish "tank swastikas":

Long arm ended version was also used during the Continuation War (until 1943) although it was forbidden. Also mirror images have been used. Blue swastikas with long arm ends was used between 1941 - 1942 by temporary "Armoured Detachment / 1st Division" which had a captured T-28 and two (?) T-26 tanks and armoured cars. Unit was led by Lt. Lauri Törni (later known as US Capt. Larry Thorne).

----

The unit in the photo above is I Armoured Platoon / 1st Armoured Company / I Armoured Battalion / Armoured Brigade. The square was the emblem of 1./I Ps.P between 1942 and 1943 after which it was replaced by German style three digit numbering system. Number 4 indicates this T-26 belongs to I Armoured Platoon as its fourth tank.

JariL

Post by JariL » 05 Nov 2003, 09:55

Hi Harri,

Not to my knowledge. I believe that heraldic roses have actually replaced the swastikas, not oak leaves as I suggested previously.

regards,

Jari

John W

Post by John W » 05 Nov 2003, 11:00

Thanks a bunch for those replied guys :)

Orok: It was exactly that photo I had in mind when I posted that comment. :)

Windward

Post by Windward » 05 Nov 2003, 16:25

And Latvian Air Force use red swastika as their symbol before WW2.

http://www.dalnet.se/~surfcity/gladiator_latvia.htm

regards

KALEVALA

Post by KALEVALA » 05 Nov 2003, 20:23

swastika was also at highest
war merit medal mannerheims cross
Attachments
ritari.gif
ritari.gif (2.13 KiB) Viewed 7652 times

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”